Huawei S7 Useful Tweaks and Tips

joshb

Dec 28, 2010
Hello all, I messed up, I was trying to change the supplicant file on my s7 and when it didn't work, for like the 10th time(wouldent connect to wifi at all) I went to change the original file back and it wasent there, I thought I had a backup made from my last attempt at this and as it turns out, I didn't. Can anyone help me please

sheila114

Jan 24, 2011
I've been watching this thread and have a question that's partially related to a windows mobile 6.5 and then the s7. I have a tmobile touch pro 2 with wm6.5 which is bluetooth capable as well as having internet sharing via usb. Some people in the htc wiki forums have had good success tethering this phone. I have learned of a way to dual boot that phone as an android from the sd card.

Would anyone know if I set it up as a dual boot what else would I have to do to get this set up working. I have no problems usb tethering to my pc but have never tried via bluetooth as my pc is not bluetooth enabled. I'm going to try out the bluetooth with the touch pro 2 this weekend but don't get a good signal in the house with that phone so testing here wouldn't be too reliable.

I also have a blackberry bold 9700 which is bluetooth but i don't know anything about internet sharing with that phone. If anyone has any ideas i'd appreciate hearing them.

Thank you.

Sheila

RoyEP3

Feb 3, 2011
I've been watching this thread and have a question that's partially related to a windows mobile 6.5 and then the s7. I have a tmobile touch pro 2 with wm6.5 which is bluetooth capable as well as having internet sharing via usb. Some people in the htc wiki forums have had good success tethering this phone. I have learned of a way to dual boot that phone as an android from the sd card.

Would anyone know if I set it up as a dual boot what else would I have to do to get this set up working. I have no problems usb tethering to my pc but have never tried via bluetooth as my pc is not bluetooth enabled. I'm going to try out the bluetooth with the touch pro 2 this weekend but don't get a good signal in the house with that phone so testing here wouldn't be too reliable.

I also have a blackberry bold 9700 which is bluetooth but i don't know anything about internet sharing with that phone. If anyone has any ideas i'd appreciate hearing them.

Thank you.

Sheila

Hey Sheila. I'm also using a windows mobile 6.5 phone (Samsung Omnia II i920) to tether my S7, but I'm doing it via wifi using WMWifiRouter. Have you had any success trying that? Or are you only specifically trying to connect with bluetooth..

gurduiala

Jan 7, 2011
Hey Sheila. I'm also using a windows mobile 6.5 phone (Samsung Omnia II i920) to tether my S7, but I'm doing it via wifi using WMWifiRouter. Have you had any success trying that? Or are you only specifically trying to connect with bluetooth..

Guys,

I can confirm that Tethering from WM 6.5 to S7 WORKS,

i use 'CM InternetSharing' , and i had to change a WPA file on my S7,

let me know if you need the .cab or the file for s7

sheila114

Jan 24, 2011
Hi Guys,

Thanks for your responses and the info. I'd like to tether via bluetooth so I can use tmobile while traveling. It would be great if Gurduiala could provide me with the cab and s7 files and/or settings. I'd really appreciate it.

Thanks again.

Sheila

buzzman

Dec 8, 2010
Since I am totally non tech oriented, I have been learning all sorts of stuff. Hopefully we can help each other learn to avoid so much hunting around.

I came across this on droid forums- credit to Se7enLC -Droid Ninja for this post

USING ADB COMMANDS: first go to developer dot android dot com and learn about adb and the tools to do it. Then understand your commands you are typing into the box.

You can't run adb from inside adb. Does that help explain it? "adb shell" is a command you run to get a terminal on the droid. From that terminal, you can run commands on the droid. You can't run adb from the droid, because adb is on the computer, not the droid.

"mount" is a command you run to remount the droid filesystem as read/write (so you can write to it). You run that from the droid, so you need to be in adb shell (and root) to do it - so it only worked after you ran "adb shell" and "su"

It helps a lot to know what the commands you're running are doing:

"adb shell" -> using a computer, open up a remote terminal to run commands on the droid (things you type after this are run on the droid, until you type "exit")

"adb push" -> push a file from the computer to the droid.

"su" -> become root (give yourself admin access). This will pop up a window on the droid to allow/deny. This needs to be run on the droid (through adb shell or in terminal emulator)

"mount -o remount,rw /system" -> remount the filesystem as read/write. This allows you to write to it (normally it is read-only)

"mount -o remount,ro /system" -> remount the filesystem as read-only. This makes it so you can no longer write to it.

"sync" -> synchronize the filesystem. This means that it will finish writing whatever it is currently writing. Not really needed, but it is a good percaution to make sure that whatever you were changing has completed before rebooting (you don't want half a corrupt file!)
Putting something in the root (of the card) means not putting it in a folder. Just put it in loose in the box when you open the E or F drive( this is the letters for me cause I have a C and D drive on my computer). For you it may be D drive or D and E drive. Open them and drop your apks or whatever into the open box. You now have it in the root.
What is Odex and Deodex in android? Read the following link:

www.addictivetips.com/mobile/what-is-odex-and-deodex-in-android-complete-guide/

Don't forget to come back to add good to know info for beginners of android system

Last edited:

sheila114

Jan 24, 2011

Roy,

Is it possible for you to tell me where you got WMWifiRouter and a little bit more about the process? I'm still waiting to hear from guduiala. Thanks

Sheila

delsonk

Feb 9, 2011
I just read all the threads on this topic and replaced the wpa file but still cant figure out tethering to my blackberry. See I had an archos 7 running 2.1 and tethering was out of the box, I just had to get the service turned on for the verizon bb. Which I may turn off thanks to the pay as you go thread, thank you all very much. Anyway, I tried to get the S7 tethered to the BB but can't seem to figure it out on the S7 side of things.

I know I must be missing something basic because I had no problems running a terminal to verify the correct version or rooting the device.

Any help would be appreciated or I am going to go down the t-mobile sim card route as I just found one we never used.

thanks

Last edited:

gurduiala

Jan 7, 2011
Roy,

Is it possible for you to tell me where you got WMWifiRouter and a little bit more about the process? I'm still waiting to hear from guduiala. Thanks

Sheila

Sheila, so sorry for late response,

i have not been online a lot, been busy, and plus i forgot about this thread,

here are the files

http://www.hpseminar.org/cab.zip is the CAB file, if you have any questions, PM me, or post here,

and also, you need to replace the WAP file on your s7 to connect to AD HOC wifi, do you have that?

here is the instruction: Connect to Ad Hoc

sheila114

Jan 24, 2011
Sheila, so sorry for late response,

i have not been online a lot, been busy, and plus i forgot about this thread,

here are the files

http://www.hpseminar.org/cab.zip is the CAB file, if you have any questions, PM me, or post here,

and also, you need to replace the WAP file on your s7 to connect to AD HOC wifi, do you have that?

here is the instruction: Connect to Ad Hoc

Hi Gurduiala,

Thanks so much for that information. I did wonder though if you copy the wpa file on the sdcard (internal memory) of the S7 or the actual sd card since it's a little different on the S7 and I'm not familiar with the galaxy.

Also, just to verify the process, I'm going to install the cab on the windows phone then follow the process outlined in the galaxy instructions for connecting to the ad hoc, right? Is that all there is to it then. At that point I should be able to connect my S7 to my windows phone via bluetooth using the cab app, right?

Sorry for the follow up questions, just want to be sure, before I begin, that I'm doing it right. Thanks again.

Sheila

PS How would I have gone about PM'ing you? I'm fairly new to this forum and not sure about that process.

gurduiala

Jan 7, 2011
Hi Gurduiala,

Thanks so much for that information. I did wonder though if you copy the wpa file on the sdcard (internal memory) of the S7 or the actual sd card since it's a little different on the S7 and I'm not familiar with the galaxy.

Also, just to verify the process, I'm going to install the cab on the windows phone then follow the process outlined in the galaxy instructions for connecting to the ad hoc, right? Is that all there is to it then. At that point I should be able to connect my S7 to my windows phone via bluetooth using the cab app, right?

Sorry for the follow up questions, just want to be sure, before I begin, that I'm doing it right. Thanks again.

Sheila

PS How would I have gone about PM'ing you? I'm fairly new to this forum and not sure about that process.

Ok, here is what you do:

1. Install the CAB on your windows mobile phone, this cab turns your phone into a wireless router, so any device (laptop, ipod, tablet) can easily connect to it,

After you'll install the CAB, you go to 'START' and scroll to the bottom, there you will find 'CM Internet Sharing ' app, once you open it, it will explain how it works, hit 'OK', then there will be option to name your wireless network as you wish, and set a password, since you do that, click 'START', lower right corner of the app,

2. Now that you have your Windows Mobile sharing i-net via AD HOC you need to connect your s7 to that network, but you cant, because it doesn't see the ADHOC, thats where the WPA file comes in place,

** MAKE SURE your S7 is ROOTED otherwise it wont work **

If your s7 is rooted, you need to 'BUY' an app from the market called 'ROOT EXPLORER' , or if its one time use, you may DOWNLOAD it,

Once you have Downloaded 'Root explorer', you will need the WPA file, which you get get here and copy to your SD card,

Now that you have 'root explorer' installed, and your WPA on your SD card, either internal or external, doesnt matter, start ROOT EXPLORER, and if you are rooted it will ask you for 'SUPER USER' permission, make sure you select 'ALLOW'

Now that you've allowed the 'super user' permission to the 'root explorer' and you have it open, select the WPA file and COPY IT, then go to "/system/bin" and PASTE the copied file,

*make sure that your permission is set to R/I (you will see a botton next to /system/bin ), to be able to paste it, otherwise it will tell you that you dont have the permission*

*make sure you back up your original WPA file, by doing the same process, COPY go to your location, PASTE*

Then simply paste the NEW WPA file, wich will over write the old one,

Reboot and you are all set,

PS. you can pm me by simply clicking on my screen name, then select Personal Message.

if you need more help, i can give you my google talk, and we can chat,

buzzman

Dec 8, 2010
Oh come on...don't be shy...someone must have come across basic stuff that's good to know, or enlightened you in some way...Please share with fellow newbies. ;)

Sent from my S7

50cals

Jan 5, 2011
Patience, explore your s7,read as much as you can, when in doubt google it, search the market, have fun ; >)

Sent from my S7 thru space & time

xaueious

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 9, 2010
Basic stuff? With Android I tend to keep learning. I don't know what's basic or not anymore. I wouldn't consider ADB basic.

Is this a thread to ask questions then? Or a place to share something you learned recently?

buzzman

Dec 8, 2010
This is a thread to share something you learned that you didn't know before that helped you understand your android device. For example...I have been playing around with modding the white pdn since july,2010. Used adb for the first time with .bat scripts, simple commands, and even made my own .bat scripts. When I moved up to the huawei s7, I realized I didn't understand what adb was or how it worked, or what the commands meant. I just wanted the end result. So now I know how it happens.

Adb may not be basic, but people without a clue are using it for the end result. Knowing how and why leads to bigger and better hacking. And if you make a mistake, you are not totally lost. So when you reach out for help it's more forthcoming. People realize you are making an effort. And give you respectful points for trying and are more likely to help..

Also, being able to contribute in any way makes everybody feel good. Whether big small, it's all good! I for one need all the help i can get. I kind of skipped the basics. Lol. So I'm open for anything I don't have to google or track down. I do enough of that on my own. I'm just thirsting for knowledge here so feed me people!!!! ;)

One of My favorite sayings is god helps those who help themselves. And in the spirit of learning I want people (noobs and techies alike) to share what they learn. Cause that's what this forum is all about. People helping people ; )

Sent from my S7