I finally got my tablet: The S7. Can someone answer my questions?

Nov 21, 2010
Hey all,

Firstly, was on these forums awhile back trying to find a good tablet for myself. Through Craig's list got a week old S7 from someone for 210 - they had just gotten it at best buy with the screen protector.

The one thing I disliked already is that I had to broadcast my wireless ID so I could connect. However I just upped the password encryption so hopefully that'll make me breath a little easier.

Now onward to my questions.

1) What exactly is rooting and why do I need to root?

2) Does any know when the 2.2 update is supposed to happen?

3) Any suggestions on some good writing programs or does google docs work well on the S7?

Any other suggestions or comments you wish to leave would also be appreciated

pbrauer

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 24, 2010
All of these questions are answered in the forum, all you need to do is a very quick search in the S7 area. They are even stickys.

For rooting, read the article in Q&A

Sent from my ANDROID!

Nov 21, 2010
All of these questions are answered in the forum, all you need to do is a very quick search in the S7 area. They are even stickys.

For rooting, read the article in Q&A

Sent from my ANDROID!

I did a search, didnt see anything in response. I just found the sticky concerning the 2.2 though. Maybe I'm just blind (or not writing the right things in the search box) but not seeing anyone specifically commenting on typing/writing using the S7 with which apps they prefer nor do I see anyone commenting on why need to root the S7. I know other tablets have more of a need due to needing to gain access to market and the underlining OS but S7 already has market.

I prob will root so therefore can do a full backup and go ahead and mod it because I would like to try the upgrade people are saying helps with the touch screen (capacitive upgrade). However as a pure novice at this, I am was just wanting to read something like a pro or cons or at least a reason to really want to go ahead and root/mod the S7.

Thanks anyway for your help

pbrauer

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 24, 2010
Click the Questions link in my signature, that goes to a cornucopia of answers. The second post in that link discusses rooting, benefits, how and why. Google Docs is great, but all that does is provide a repository. You need to look at something like QuickOffice or DocsToGo (I use QuickOffice, well worth the $20).

gcl915

Feb 3, 2011
Hey all,

Firstly, was on these forums awhile back trying to find a good tablet for myself. Through Craig's list got a week old S7 from someone for 210 - they had just gotten it at best buy with the screen protector.

The one thing I disliked already is that I had to broadcast my wireless ID so I could connect. However I just upped the password encryption so hopefully that'll make me breath a little easier.

Now onward to my questions.

1) What exactly is rooting and why do I need to root?

2) Does any know when the 2.2 update is supposed to happen?

3) Any suggestions on some good writing programs or does google docs work well on the S7?

Any other suggestions or comments you wish to leave would also be appreciated

Rooting is a way for you to completely have control over your device, allowing you to use Titanium Backup and a bunch of other nice apps.

2.2 is rumored to come out sometime in March...but then again, it's just a rumor.

What kind of a writing program are you looking to get? Google docs works through lots of 3rd party apps, such as Documents to Go. Are you looking for handwriting recognition or just a program to type in?

Nov 21, 2010
thanks again for the responses.

Looking for something that I can type and edit docs in and that is compatible with microsoft word's file system. I have Docstogo on my touch and hope the android version is better but going to try the Quickoffice first.

Handwriting recognition would be great as well if possible.

Thanks for the responses again. I hope to be a good contributing member of the community. I am currently grabbing items off of market.

pbrauer

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 24, 2010
there are a couple of handwriting recognition apps out there...IMHO they all stink, and I wish there was one that was good. Before I get flamed or responses on this...95% recognition is not acceptable when you are writing as much as I do.

what I have done is gone with a Livescribe Pulse pen and Evernote which syncs my handwritten notes and diagrams to my tablet. For those things where I am writing on the tablet, I use MaplePaint, which allows me to freehand both writing and drawings on the screen.

Interchangability with MS-Word, again I like QuickOffice the best, and esp since they added full integration with Google Docs.

finally, if you go that route, be sure to look at the Beta of Google CloudPrint which will allow you to print your google docs to networked printers via the Cloud.

gcl915

Feb 3, 2011
there are a couple of handwriting recognition apps out there...IMHO they all stink, and I wish there was one that was good.

Could not agree with you more....I've tried handwriting recognition apps back in the days of Pocket PCs and was very surprised to see that none of them made any advances since. I use Docs2Go for typing and getting pretty good with Swype keyboard:D, especially in landscape mode, using the stylus.

Nov 21, 2010
I am currently in awe over the speed and downloading of this tablet. However trying to figure out how to get the drivers installed so my computer can recognize it and the SD cards. Using an Intel processor Dual Core 2200+ with Windows 7 64bit. I dloaded the drivers from the official website but they say it isnt compatible with my computer

vferrari

Dec 4, 2010
I am currently in awe over the speed and downloading of this tablet. However trying to figure out how to get the drivers installed so my computer can recognize it and the SD cards. Using an Intel processor Dual Core 2200+ with Windows 7 64bit. I dloaded the drivers from the official website but they say it isnt compatible with my computer

Again, this question gets asked about once a day so do search around on the forum a bit. In any event, with Win7 you don't need to install any driver on your computer for it to recognize the internal (8GB) and external (user installed) SD cards on your device for file dragging and dropping. Just hook your S7 to your computer via the USB port. Look for the flashing notifications icon in the upper right corner (the "I" superimposed on the two overlapping windows) after you connect your S7. Touch the notifications icon to take you to the notifications screen that will allow you to mount/unmount the SD card drives so that they can be recognized and mounted by your PC as external mass storage devices (lettered drives) so that you can drag an drop files from your PC to the S7 and vice versa. Enjoy.

50cals

Jan 5, 2011
Teacher... have you had success with connecting the usb cable to computer.....then on your S7 top right corner of your menu hit the "I" icon and you will see options to mount your internal and external cards (if you have both)

Click card > click mount > a box will pop up on your computer, i scroll down and hit open for viewing option. Window will pop up with your folders and you can drag and drop files.

Nov 21, 2010
Again, this question gets asked about once a day so do search around on the forum a bit. In any event, with Win7 you don't need to install any driver on your computer for it to recognize the internal (8GB) and external (user installed) SD cards on your device for file dragging and dropping. Just hook your S7 to your computer via the USB port. Look for the flashing notifications icon in the upper right corner (the "I" superimposed on the two overlapping windows) after you connect your S7. Touch the notifications icon to take you to the notifications screen that will allow you to mount/unmount the SD card drives so that they can be recognized and mounted by your PC as external mass storage devices (lettered drives) so that you can drag an drop files from your PC to the S7 and vice versa. Enjoy.

I did finally find out about the mount but as for drivers searching didn't bring me an answer. If it had I wouldnt of needed to ask.

I still wish there we drivers. Its nice to still mount but hope for drivers in hopes the transfer time for files goes faster. Plus I prefer if the computer can recognize it

Sent from my sdk using Android Tablet Forum App

pvella

Dec 20, 2010
There are usb drivers on the Huawei site. These are mainly needed to made ADB work.

Sent from my S7