I give up...I'm going to ask

probbiethe1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jun 30, 2010
I have tried to add a video here starting at the web site where I DL the app. Poor quality if it works...poor mans camera. If it works the video will show that after the DL if I click on the file it just flashes. But if I hold firmly I get a choice concerning the DL cache but no option to install.

GREENWYVERN i have watched your video several time now and all the comes to my mind is bummer :) but i do have another idea depending on the android os your running i can email you the apk and i might let you install it straight from you email, if not you might be able to use adb to push it over but lets save that has a last resort, so if you r interested in trying the email way pm me with your email address and i will send it as soon as possible

greenwyvern

Aug 16, 2010
GREENWYVERN i have watched your video several time now and all the comes to my mind is bummer :) but i do have another idea depending on the android os your running i can email you the apk and i might let you install it straight from you email, if not you might be able to use adb to push it over but lets save that has a last resort, so if you r interested in trying the email way pm me with your email address and i will send it as soon as possible

I tried that by mailing it to myself. Didn't work. However I finally figured out a way to do it. I would have responded sooner but I was busy hitting myself in the head with a hammer for not thinking of this before now.

I imported a file explorer app into Nate's hack and added an install line for that app to his batch file and ran the hack again. Bingo. That simple and it took me all this time to think of it. In my next post here I will add the instructions to do this for any other Novel owners that have the same problem as me. If you feel it should not be here please delete it (admin?). (The simplest thing would be for Nate to update the hack with an app explorer added.) It should probably be in the Pandigital forum.

Last edited:

greenwyvern

Aug 16, 2010
For any owners of the Pandigital Novel who are experiencing problems “side-loading” Android apps to their device. This method depends on Nate-the-great’s instructions for hacking the pandigital located in the Pandigital Novel forum at slatedroid. (Thank you Nate for giving us a way to use the Novel as a tablet.) There is an easier way to do this but since Nate’s hack is already here and you have already used it………..

I have worded this as if you have no experience with batch files. All you are going to do is add a line to Nate’s batch file by copying one already there and then changing that copy.
This will allow you to add a file explorer to your tablet so you can find & activate Android apps you have DLed. I am going to use the app "AndExplorer" in this example. You can chose any file browser you wish. Don’t do this if you feel uncomfortable about it. I am not responsible if you brick your novel.

1. Make a backup copy of Nate’s program.

2. Import a copy of the file explorer you want to use (in this example AndExplorer) into Nate's program. I just copied and paste.

3. Open Hack-the-Novel1

4. Go to the line that reads Install Panda Home and right click.
choose EDIT, then RUN. you will see the line adb install pandahome_v1.90.apk pause

5 Do not change anything. Click on FILE then SAVE AS and rename it Install AndExplorer.apk
and save it.

6. Now right click on the line you just saved and click edit. Replace the words pandahome_v1.90apk with the words AndExplorer.apk and save it.

7. Double check everything by confirming there are now three "install" commands in Nate's program.
Install Volume Buttons, Install Panda Home, and your new one Install AndExplorer. Open each one and make sure they are referring to the correct apps.

8. Follow Nate’s instructions for hacking the Novel. If you have already hacked your Novel using Nate’s program you may need to set your novel back to factory by following the instructions located in the hacking thread. I did not find it necessary to go through that. I simply ran the hack again and only executed the new line I had added.

probbiethe1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jun 30, 2010
sweet im glad you got it figured out and are sharing it with the rest of us

greenwyvern

Aug 16, 2010
Thanks guys for hanging in there and trying to figure it out for me. I wonder if any other PDN owners have the same problem?

sykotikaljo

Dec 30, 2011
hey i have a WPDN and was able to side load with out rooting or hacking. just email the apk file to yourself and open your email in the browser not the stock email app. you can click the attachment and download. i did this with pandora, i heart radio and angry birds to try it. then i decided to go to the cruz 2.1 hack for pdn and have a working android market