Internal vs System storage for apps

TapNClick

Oct 17, 2010
I have an Archos 101. What is the difference between having apps in internal storage as opposed to system storage? Why can I move some apps from system storage to internal storage, but other applications I cannot? Will an application run any differently in system storage then it does with internal storage?

bigblue206

Dec 2, 2010
The app will not run any differently whether it is in one storage or the other. The internal storage is usually much larger than the system storage so moving apps there allows you to have more apps on your tablet.

TapNClick

Oct 17, 2010
I started to run out of space in system storage, so I moved a bunch of apps to internal storage, but there seem to be some apps that cannot be moved. Is there something special about these apps? I don't really see any particular pattern in the ones that can or cannot be moved. Eventually as I add more apps I'll end up exhausting system memory because not all apps can be moved to internal storage - there is no hint either in AppsLib or In Android Marketplace that indicates whether a program is eligible to be moved to internal storage.

BKenney

Dec 10, 2010
What directory are you guys moving the apps to on the internal storage?

...If you don't mind me asking :p

Sent from my MID7015

TapNClick

Oct 17, 2010
What directory are you guys moving the apps to on the internal storage?

...If you don't mind me asking :p

Sent from my MID7015

I haven't actually looked at it that closely. I just use the button that is in the "manage applications" feature in settings.

metaforge

Jul 7, 2011
It seems like in internal storage the app and/or data is also compressed, as it takes up less space there than it does in system storage.

pbrauer

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 24, 2010
Also, there are some apps that do behave differently if installed on external storage. Titanium Backup and Apps2SD are two apps that will help you with moving apps to different storage locations.

Spider

Administrator
Staff member
Mar 24, 2011
there is no hint either in AppsLib or In Android Marketplace that indicates whether a program is eligible to be moved to internal storage.
I've seen apps whose Market description states they cannot be moved, but the fact it's not stated doesn't guarantee it can be moved. Apparently, it's something in the way it's coded or the permissions required that determines if it can be moved or not.

gurgle

Super Moderator
Staff member
Aug 6, 2010
I use TaskKiller which I d/l from one of Amazon's Free app of the day offers. I have found it works much better than Apps2SD and does a better job of analyzing whether the app can be migrated to System Storage. The part I like about it is that it uses the 16Gb internal of my 101. Spider is on target about some apps cannot be moved and work from SD. That was the case for me with Plants Vs Zombies (Also the reason I have removed it).
I did use Apps2SD until TaskKiller. It frees up the install store, but not the 256 Mb OS area. You must still deal with the big footprint Archos OS occupies. This is true even after you reinitialize and get the extra 32Mb from later FW builds.