iPhone4 and Wifi Tether

eclipse3g

Jun 11, 2011
I'm new to the android scene, just got the A500 a couple of days ago.

Where I'm having problems is getting the A500 to connect to the iPhone4's WiFi Hotspot.

I've updated PDANet to 5.02 on the iPhone4 (AT&T by the way), I can activate the Hotspot and using WiFi manager on the A500 I can see the Hotspot but cannot connect to it.

Has anyone managed to use their iphone4-pdanet to successfully to connect with the A500 so that the iphone is supplying the internet service.

I've read thru what I can find here on this forum but am still at a loss to get this working, so any help or ideas would be appreciated.

In the past I've never had problems doing this but this was with windows based laptops as PdaNet has software for doing this on either a PC or MAC but I've found no desktop applications for the Android family.

thanks in advance,

ChiTriGuy

Apr 27, 2011
I had to root my A500 and then replace my wpa_supplicant file in the system/bin folder to allow tethering on my iphone4. To my understanding, the stock file does not support adhoc which the iphone requires. Mine works great now, though.

eclipse3g

Jun 11, 2011
I had to root my A500 and then replace my wpa_supplicant file in the system/bin folder to allow tethering on my iphone4. To my understanding, the stock file does not support adhoc which the iphone requires. Mine works great now, though.

Where did you get the modified wpa_supplicant file?

eclipse3g

Jun 11, 2011
Mission Accomplished.

Thanks all for the info I got it working with the iphone, the key was to replace the wpa_supplicant in the system/bin directory, after rooting the devive I was able to use Root Explorer to replace the file and reset it's permissions.

After rooting the device, here's what I did for others to follow

It couldn't be easier, if you have root explorer it becomes a breeze.
https://market.android.com/details?i...=search_result

1. Move the new wpa_supplicant to your A500 via sd card, dropbox or cable copy.
  2. turn off your wifi
  3. Navigated to system/bin
  4. click mount R/W (top left) so it changes to Mount R/O)
  5. Then long hold on the file and select rename put old on the end
  6. Copy/cut and paste the existing wpa_supplicant file somewhere safe
  7. Then copy the new file from the extracted zip
  8. Navigate back to system/bin
  9. click mount R/W (top left) so it changes to Mount R/O)
  10. Paste the new wpa file in
  11. Then long hold on the file and select view permissions
  12. check/tick all the boxes in the first two columns and the first 2 in the last column. (chmod 775)
  13. restart wifi

Added the wpa_supplicant file 14 Jun 11
View attachment $wpa_supplicant_A500_wifi_adhoc.zip

Last edited:

jhautz

Jun 16, 2011
Hmmm.... Very strange. I had no issue at all with getting the wifi tether to work with my A500 and my iphone4 personal hotspot. I just turned on the hotspot and scanned for available networks on the acer. I found it, selected it, and the acer asked for the password for the wifi iPhone hotspot. I entered it and everything worked. It does "loose" the connection once in a while and I have to turn the hotspot on the iPhone off and on again to get it to send data agin but that just seems to be an issue with he iPhone hotspot. It does the same thing when tethering to my laptop.

CSMcDonald

Jun 17, 2011
The only time I had an issue connecting to my iPhone 4 personal hotspot from my A500 was when I was using the default name of "User's iPhone" - the ' was getting translated oddly - I renamed my iPhone and problem went away.

AndyInNYC

Feb 9, 2012
It's my understanding from reading on the web that AT&T is going to block users using MiFi/cancel their unlimited data accounts.

Is there a root my iphone 4s/root my A500 solution which provides transparent (to AT&T) connections?
I'm going to be travelling in a month or two for a few weeks in the US where the internet connections are spotty but the cell towers seem to work; I'd rather not change my data plan for those weeklong periods, but I'd like to use the tablet for internet access.

I have the latest A500 firmware and the latest iOS (5.1.1?) on the phone.

If this isn't a permissible topic, my apologies.

Thanks,

Andrew

traye3005

Nov 24, 2012
Mission Accomplished.

Thanks all for the info I got it working with the iphone, the key was to replace the wpa_supplicant in the system/bin directory, after rooting the devive I was able to use Root Explorer to replace the file and reset it's permissions.

After rooting the device, here's what I did for others to follow

It couldn't be easier, if you have root explorer it becomes a breeze.
https://market.android.com/details?i...=search_result

1. Move the new wpa_supplicant to your A500 via sd card, dropbox or cable copy.
  2. turn off your wifi
  3. Navigated to system/bin
  4. click mount R/W (top left) so it changes to Mount R/O)
  5. Then long hold on the file and select rename put old on the end
  6. Copy/cut and paste the existing wpa_supplicant file somewhere safe
  7. Then copy the new file from the extracted zip
  8. Navigate back to system/bin
  9. click mount R/W (top left) so it changes to Mount R/O)
  10. Paste the new wpa file in
  11. Then long hold on the file and select view permissions
  12. check/tick all the boxes in the first two columns and the first 2 in the last column. (chmod 775)
  13. restart wifi

Added the wpa_supplicant file 14 Jun 11
View attachment 2778

I have tried all of this with no luck!! I have a rooted a500 I have tried the processes at least 5 times with different wpa_supplicant files found on the web. Your instruction are great and I have learned alot about my a500 just wish i could get it to tether!