Is jelly bean for A2109 actually slower than ICS?

Jan 5, 2013
Hello!

So i adored rooted ICS, and when I saw jb I updated anyways via ota. Not the best experience in comparison, so I tried mcl's and inverted jb, had the same problems. Here is my list:
1. Worse quadrant benchmark score from 4300 to 3600. I know its just a benchmark, but those 3d graphics were noticeably slower!
2. Slower homescreen interface. Well not really slow, but just takes longer to load whichever launcher, lenovo's, apex, and nova. Also transitions i think are choppier, takes the same amount of time though.
3. Lenovo's launcher on ics had about 20 different transitions to choose. Where did they go in jb? You cant set the transition at all
4. App compatibility. Edge, from google play store, is extremely slow. Perfect on ics. Emulators however are just the same
5. Battery drain when wifi is off

Ok so mcl's ROM has a large ota update, downloading now as a last chance, as I do use Google now and love how fast it is in framework and such. But I just wanted to ask: is any of this happening to you, or am I just special? When cm10 is finally released, will it be similar to these issues if I have them on lenovo based jb? Thanks!

FloRider

Dec 2, 2012
vampirefo. has a dual-boot system. Maybe he can run a benchmark and give some objective observations. I have noticed smoother scrolling on JB, though. I think your problems are rare but not unique, because I've seen complaints before. Because I (and another member) had odd rebooting problems after upgrading, you can try flashing again. Follow the directions precisely, and wipe everything first.

flashallthetime

Dec 28, 2012
Not that jb is slower, I believe it has to do more with the kernel not being optimized for jb, I have used ginger bread, ICS and jelly bean on my phone, jb is quicker than all previous versions but also the kernel has been improved along the way

Sent from my IdeaTabA2109A using Tapatalk HD

Jan 5, 2013
Not that jb is slower, I believe it has to do more with the kernel not being optimized for jb, I have used ginger bread, ICS and jelly bean on my phone, jb is quicker than all previous versions but also the kernel has been improved along the way

Sent from my IdeaTabA2109A using Tapatalk HD

Sounds like I'll downgrade to ICS, I loved it before. I think I'll wait for a good jb kernel to come out. I think cm10 could help too if and when that works right

arbarnhart

Jan 1, 2013
The Time Warner Cable app is noticeably faster on jb. I could barely stand to use it on ics because the sound was out of sync. I do get the home screen not always painting right away when I close something. If I get impatient and tap it, it paints immediately. So that seems to like a minor software glitch rather than actual slowness.

Last edited:

anika200

Dec 2, 2012
3. Lenovo's launcher on ics had about 20 different transitions to choose. Where did they go in jb? You cant set the transition at all
Can anyone still on ics verify this? I only remember about 5 or so, which is the same as it is now. Also, everyone knows that Google made it a huge effort to make JB faster. Why would they or Lenovo release a build that was actually slower? I have noticed no difference myself but I do not look at benchmarks only real world experience, things seem the same or faster to me.

vampirefo.

Developer
Nov 8, 2011
Yes ICS is faster than JB, ICS is a proven OS, that has had several updates, while JB isn't proven it's just the latest OS. Has nothing to due with kernels, you can run and ICS kernel on JB or run a JB kernel on ICS doesn't increase performance JB is simply slower. Now if one uses a modified kernel on JB and stock kernel on ICS, JB would be faster, but if both OS run stock kernel ICS will beat JB.

arbarnhart

Jan 1, 2013
Tom's Hardware did an article with several benchmarks:

Benchmarking The Android 4.1 (Jelly Bean) Performance Gains : Reporting From Google I/O 2012: Nexus 7 And Jelly Bean (Android 4.1)

The video buffering and vsync improvements explain the boost I see in the TWC app. Other reviews are similar. I think the a2109 launcher has an issue or two, and but the idea that jb is slower in general flies in the face of most of the benchmarks I have seen. JB is faster as a base OS. Vendors can screw that up though.

vampirefo.

Developer
Nov 8, 2011
Tom's Hardware did an article with several benchmarks:

Benchmarking The Android 4.1 (Jelly Bean) Performance Gains : Reporting From Google I/O 2012: Nexus 7 And Jelly Bean (Android 4.1)

The video buffering and vsync improvements explain the boost I see in the TWC app. Other reviews are similar. I think the a2109 launcher has an issue or two, and but the idea that jb is slower in general flies in the face of most of the benchmarks I have seen. JB is faster as a base OS. Vendors can screw that up though.

I am not seeing that at all on every device including Nexus 7 which my daughter owned for 3 days ICS beat JB, even in this test look at the final score 1081 to 1091 that's not much improvement at all. any test can fluctuate by 10 to 20. I would have been impressed had the scores been 1081 to 1581 or so but 10, LOL.

Anyway have you ran this test? what is your score, don't go by Nexus score what is your own?

As more updates come out for JB, I do believe it will beat ICS, I think the Nexus 7 now is using a more updated version of JB then we are, as when we get the updates, the scores will increase. but right now sorry The latest ICS beats out of the box JB 4.1.

However that is my opinion everyone has their own opinion.

Last edited:

arbarnhart

Jan 1, 2013
With all due respect, you cherry picked the one number that the article said wasn't impressive - the processor benchmark. It was improved, but not much. In the next set of tests, they tested graphics. Frame rates improved as much as 30% in some of the tests (23 fps -> 30 fps) and in no test was it slower. No, I haven't done individual benchmarks but I have identified one application that was almost unusable under ICS because of lagging video that runs fine in JB. I watched a few of the Google I/O videos on JB and they put up slide after slide of performance gains with explanations of how they improved performance that make sense to me (and I am a developer with decades of low level experience). The improved video performance is the main reason I am glad I upgraded. Being able to use the tablet as an extra TV was one of my justifications for getting it and it was frustrating to watch anything in ICS. Upgrading to JB fixed that problem and the only thing even slightly bad I have noticed is the minor glitch with the IdeaPad launcher. Hopefully they will update that soon, but it isn't bad enough to make me consider downgrading.

vampirefo.

Developer
Nov 8, 2011
With all due respect, you cherry picked the one number that the article said wasn't impressive - the processor benchmark. It was improved, but not much. In the next set of tests, they tested graphics. Frame rates improved as much as 30% in some of the tests (23 fps -> 30 fps) and in no test was it slower. No, I haven't done individual benchmarks but I have identified one application that was almost unusable under ICS because of lagging video that runs fine in JB. I watched a few of the Google I/O videos on JB and they put up slide after slide of performance gains with explanations of how they improved performance that make sense to me (and I am a developer with decades of low level experience). The improved video performance is the main reason I am glad I upgraded. Being able to use the tablet as an extra TV was one of my justifications for getting it and it was frustrating to watch anything in ICS. Upgrading to JB fixed that problem and the only thing even slightly bad I have noticed is the minor glitch with the IdeaPad launcher. Hopefully they will update that soon, but it isn't bad enough to make me consider downgrading.

No problem we each have our own opinions, If you believe JB is faster then for you it is, simple as that.

Last edited:

geno51

Jan 15, 2013
All I know is I will buy a 6 pack for who ever figures out the battery drain issue when I turn off wifi on jb. As I use my tablet as my dash In my truck bluetooth to ford sync, it's hooked to tasker and shuts down Bluetooth and wifi when I turn off the ignition. I really don't want to have to go back to ICS :( but its killing my battery over night and does not charge fast enough on short trips. ICS it had 99% power in the morning only 1-2% drop max. Ten min drive an it's fully charged again. Right now I had to pull it out to get it dialed in again.... Man I love this thing but why in the hell would it keep searching for Wifi if wifi is turned off. Makes no sense ARGGG !!

Btw here's a pic of my truck with the tablet installed all work was done by me :)
$171397d1355326909t-genos-9-android-tablet-install-image-2659570401.jpg

Last edited:

anika200

Dec 2, 2012
Awesome...
Yes, awesome indeed.

Ok here is the solution and you can pm me the 6 pack. Why don't you just leave the wifi on? I leave mine on 24/7 and the battery is good. Is there a reason the wifi can not be left on, it goes to sleep on its own after a couple minutes by design.
I do not know how you have this wired in but you can surely find a 5-7v 2 amp constant current supply for the tablet. That way it charges at all times and can never run down.

Also as an aside, I have left my wifi turned off for days and do not have this problem. I am running JB factory with root and bootloader. I wonder what the common factor is between the tablets that have this issue?

Last edited: