Is the Zenithink tablet capable of....

OCDetails

Sep 8, 2010
In looking for something functional with the ability to keep me busy on the plane, I have a couple questions about the Zenithink tablet.

Would I be able to tether my Android phone to this using something like the PdaNet app I use to connect my laptop to the internet when I'm not near a WiFi hotspot?

Will this run Google Maps with navigation? If so, then I suppose it would have to be connected to some sort of internet connection in order to work, yes? So no good in a car or somewhere like that, right?

I should be able to install some of the apps that I've downloaded from the Google Market and backed up on an SD card and just run them on the tablet, yes? I'm just curious because I'm sure some of them are designed for smaller screens and a 10.2 inch screen would throw some of them off. I was thinking more along the lines of being able to put my MSN Messenger app on it or my Mixzing app which I like to run my videos and music through.

If I've got an .avi on an SD card, would I be able to just pop it in and play it, or do I have to go through some sort of conversion to make it play like I do for my phone?

Is there really a need for an external keyboard? What would you use that for anyway? I'm only asking because I've seen the nifty cases with the keyboards on the lower half and think that is pretty slick. Of course, if I never use the keyboard, then it really has very little value. The only apps which requires me to use the keyboard on my phone is my messenger or text/sms apps, so I'm just not sure how much I would use the keyboard for. Of course, there are the Office apps these seem to come with, so I guess there would be some value... I may have answered my own question there. ;)

Sorry for the questions. Trust me, I've been searching. I've learned more about these things just today than I have known in the past month that I've been looking at them. The funds came available for me to buy one for me and my wife today, so I'm just shopping around to see what I can get. Since I've got a limited budget and want to try and get two devices, I'm trying to stay on the lower end of the spectrum. $450 doesn't get you much when they already cost between $200 and $230. ;) I think Androidtime's store is a good options since I should be able to get both of them with cases and still be within my budget.

Kheeva

Sep 8, 2010
The ZT-180 currently only connects via WiFi access point, ethernet cable, or some usb 3G devices.

The tablet doesn't have a GPS built in so navigation doesn't work. They are working on getting driver support for usb GPS devices.

The best way to install apps from the market is just install the market on the tablet. (It doesn't come with it from the factory) Here's how Zenithink ZT-180 ipad device ROM development - xda-developers
Although I have seen some on ebay with the market already installed, also a company call Dreambeta has them with market installed, but they cost more.

Playing videos on the tablet is pretty easy. But it is hard to say if it will play all avi. An avi is just a wrapper, it could be anything underneath that wrapper.

Keyboards are nice if you are doing a lot of chatting and sending long emails. Typing on the on-screen keyboard is tiresome for long messages.

Hope this helps some.

OCDetails

Sep 8, 2010
Awesome response! Thank you for that! I may have to pull the trigger on one of these just to see how it goes. If it can't do anything I want it to do, well then I guess my 7 year old will have a fun toy to play with. ;) I'm sure these will be 1000% better in a year from now, so we'll call this the test unit. ;)