Is there a car charger for the A500

jgumphress

Sep 6, 2011
This is the same one I ordered. When plugged in the A500 does not even regisrer that it exist. The company sent me a second one and it was exactly the same. Now I have two and cannot return them. The company is in China.

Jan 28, 2012
So after scouring the web and reading through all the threads here...

I decided to buy this one:

Car Charger for Acer Iconia Tab A500 and A100

$car-charger-acer-iconia-tab-a500-a100.jpg

You can grab one on amazon for under $20 Here

Just make sure you have the correct setting before plugging it into your device.

Positive polarity at 12 volts

Powerline Car Charger for Acer Iconia Tab A500 and A100

Thanks for all the advice and tips.

AndyInNYC

Feb 9, 2012
Not sure if this is compatible with the A500 or not, but if it is, the price seems right.
Meritline.com has this (80W Universal Power Adapter DC 12V Car Use Only for Laptop Notebook with adjustable Output Voltage&) for $9.99 with free shipping.

If someone figures out that the specs are compatible (tips, power, whatever) please post. If it isn't going to work, they have different model (100W Universal Digital Power Adapter for Laptop (12V-24V Output + 8 Connectors)) for $15.99 with different specs.

free shipping on both mdoels; no tax depending upon location.

Andrew

piperkid

Mar 22, 2012
Okay - after much time and effort it is clear that NONE of the DC car adapters work, including the Powerline. They will provide power to the tablet and it will not turn off but the battery will continue to discharge down to "0" which is unacceptable for lithium batteries.
Something unique about the AC adapter and how it interfaces with the tablet.

Only acceptable option is an AC inverter and plugging in the original AC adapter, so don't waste your money on all the stuff advertised on E Bay as compatible.

Douvie

Jun 10, 2011
Just get a cigarette power inverter.

Sent from my A500 using Android Tablet Forum
Exactly what I wrote before. Boys and Girls, you are wasting your good hard earned cash on stuff that doesn't work. Get a reasonable invertor for the car and insert the plugpack in to that.
My suggestion get a 300w, or better, sinosidle ( converts to true AC output) but the standard one will do. Don't waste anymore cash.

weezyrider

Jul 29, 2011
Acer needs to get on the ball and either get a supplier or make the tablets USB. I wouldn't mind getting an inverter for the cigarette lighter, but it still doesn't solve travel.

My daughter lives in the UK - a plane flight to here is 7 - 9 hours. If she chooses to read or amuse herself on the tab in airplane mode, she still has no way to charge. At least with USB, you could use a cheaper external battery pack. Acer needs to stop thinking we all have cars and short distances. I will be hunting for a tablet that has all the features of Acer, but USB charging. And NOT an Ipad.

While I was googling for a car charger, they are listed overseas. I found one on a UK, and another on an UAE site.

Amazon has some plug-in inverters. Which one is any good?

Douvie

Jun 10, 2011
Acer needs to get on the ball and either get a supplier or make the tablets USB. I wouldn't mind getting an inverter for the cigarette lighter, but it still doesn't solve travel.

My daughter lives in the UK - a plane flight to here is 7 - 9 hours. If she chooses to read or amuse herself on the tab in airplane mode, she still has no way to charge. At least with USB, you could use a cheaper external battery pack. Acer needs to stop thinking we all have cars and short distances. I will be hunting for a tablet that has all the features of Acer, but USB charging. And NOT an Ipad.

While I was googling for a car charger, they are listed overseas. I found one on a UK, and another on an UAE site.

Amazon has some plug-in inverters. Which one is any good?
The new A510 can be charge through the mini USB, if my info is correct. The A200 as well. the yet to be released A700 will have USB charging - so I am told.

Always get a inverter with a higher capacity. I personally would get a 300W and they are very cheap. I have one and it can power a Laptop, charge a cordless screwdrive battery, GPS, Mobile phones and a Bluetooth headset - no problem.

K9CHP

Aug 3, 2011
A few days ago, I was out of town and took a replacement power supply I got from eBay. That was before I read this thread and evidently, the power supply did not charge my A500! Same specs as OEM, at least as written on it!

I was not totally out of luck as I had a cigarette plug converter with the correct tip and unlike what I read in the thread, it did work!

Vector VEC009, DC-DC converter, input DC 12-24V, output DC 1.5/3/4. 5/6/7. 5/9/12V (12V only for 24V input), current 2000mA max, load 14W max. Made in China.

I don't remember where I got it, but you might find it with the above info.

CAUTION:
Since this device comes with interchangeable tips, it is easy to reverse polarity. Always set the tip to be positive, sleeve negative. This is NOT marked on the tablet but only on the OEM power supply! So you have to remember it, or better, mark it on your tablet (Dymotape). I don't know if the tablet's circuit is protected against reverse polarity...

Amir K9CHP Sent from my A500 using Android Tablet

weezyrider

Jul 29, 2011
Those power packs are fairly expensive compared to what you can buy for USB. And they look fairly large. I'll probably buy an inverter for the car. If I'm not driving, that's when I use the tablet the most. If I am - I have all the same music on a USB stick, and my in dash player uses USB. Any good inverters from Amazon? I'll check the wattage.

I'm seriously keeping my eye on a Thrive. I don't game or do social. Tablet is a reference tool, except needs to run newest apps.