Issues with New A Series

neuromacer

Dec 4, 2010
Got my A70 last week and not experiencing any of the problems mentioned. Ok its not as nippy as my htc desire running leedroid rom, but for the £160 i paid for it, i can't argue.

My only complaint is memory! What was archos thinking on supplying 256mb.

Currently running 2.2 rooted with setcpu 600min 1000 max with launcher pro and spare parts. Wifi is stable running off a netgear DG834g on channel 1 using wpa-psk on a mixed b & g.

Swould333

Aug 5, 2010
How about under settings is the text look blurred when scrolling?

Not that i've noticed.. no more than scrolling through the menus on my DroidX...

Has anybody had luck with getting one of these to tether to another Android phone(CDMA) via the tethering programs included?...
With it being rooted can you edit the WPA- suplicant files to include Adhoc modes on the WIFI?

Haven't tried to much with it, work, kids, girlfriend, holidays... WHAT'S A GEEK TO DO WITH ALL THESE DISTRACTIONS....

ratickle

Dec 17, 2010
I can fix all that ails you. Now sit down a spell and listen to the tale that Darkseider has for you...

First thing you need to do is after you update to 2.2 is to do a FULL reset as in wipe it all back to stock 2.2. Then once you do that install the googleapps4.apk which can be found at XDA and follow the instructions post installation for wiping the framework to make it all nice nice. Then download and install z4root 1.3.0 and SetCPU and run z4Root and temp root and use SetCPU and set to 600Mhz min - 1 Ghz max with an On Demand governor. Then Download and install Launcher Pro. Lastly Flash 10.1.

When you are done with all this wizardry, which takes the whole of 20 minutes, you will not even believe the responsiveness and stability. It turns the Archos 70/101 into a beast of a tablet.

Another little tweak you can do after temp root is download and install Spare Parts. There you can do some really nice performance and memory management tweaks that enhance Android's built in system as opposed to using a task killer/auto killer.

EDIT: Seems there may be another little tweak. According to the Archosfans forums by disabling USB debugging after reboot, temp root, setcpu magic a lot of the problems, particularly lock-ups, go away.

Just got an Archos 70 and I'm new to tables and to Android. I would like to try Darkseider's suggestions on my device, and I'm OK with everything except googleapps4.apk. I couldn't find where to download it from. A search at XDA came up empty. Could you tell me where on XDA to download it from.

Thanks for the help.

Last edited:

gurgle

Super Moderator
Staff member
Aug 6, 2010
Do a search on gAppsInstaller_v4. There are two different install packages. One for Eclair the other for Froyo. gAppsInstaller is for Froyo.

Rose4uKY

Aug 1, 2010
I'm getting the tablet next week. All I want is 2.2 and the latest market place. Do I still update to 2.2 then do a full reset then install marketplace? I don't want Z4root and Set CPU. Someone on at Amazon said there was a newer update to 2.2 the other day and it's faster now and that I don't need those other two things. I don't know but I just want the market place and 2.2 and for my you tube videos to play..

matthew2582

Jun 29, 2010
Have had the A70 for a week, upgraded to Froyo, Market gApps4Archos version 1 and latest firmware 2.0.71 allows 600, 800 and 1ghz power management. Love the device, the build, the capacitive screen - but battery drain is terrible. From 100% down to approx 65% - losing 5% an hour with no apps running - from 65% onwards - just browsing this site losing 1% every two minutes

Darkseider - do you think your procedure described below might help - or is this just a bad battery.

Incidentally - we also have a 101 - and applied the same upgrade procedure as listed above and here: Forum.ArchosFans.com - View topic - Step by Step Plan to Upgrade brand new Archos Devices to 2.2 and battery drain is less than 1% from 100% down to 99%. Doubtless, the drain will accelerate as it gets donw to around 65%

I can fix all that ails you. Now sit down a spell and listen to the tale that Darkseider has for you...

First thing you need to do is after you update to 2.2 is to do a FULL reset as in wipe it all back to stock 2.2. Then once you do that install the googleapps4.apk which can be found at XDA and follow the instructions post installation for wiping the framework to make it all nice nice. Then download and install z4root 1.3.0 and SetCPU and run z4Root and temp root and use SetCPU and set to 600Mhz min - 1 Ghz max with an On Demand governor. Then Download and install Launcher Pro. Lastly Flash 10.1.

When you are done with all this wizardry, which takes the whole of 20 minutes, you will not even believe the responsiveness and stability. It turns the Archos 70/101 into a beast of a tablet.

Another little tweak you can do after temp root is download and install Spare Parts. There you can do some really nice performance and memory management tweaks that enhance Android's built in system as opposed to using a task killer/auto killer.

EDIT: Seems there may be another little tweak. According to the Archosfans forums by disabling USB debugging after reboot, temp root, setcpu magic a lot of the problems, particularly lock-ups, go away.

rc211e

Oct 23, 2010
I wonder do Darkseider instructions apply to the current 2.2 upgrade or the previous? Can you tell us please Darkseider?

matthew2582

Jun 29, 2010
I would assume Darkseider is referring to the prior firmware as with new fw 2.0.71 there is not need to SetCPU

gurgle

Super Moderator
Staff member
Aug 6, 2010
His instructions are for the prior to 2.0.71 Firmware. But I think you may have a Battery issue- matthew2582. I am not getting that drain on my 101. And searching the Archosfans site, I have not seen it either for any of the 28/32/43/70/101.
BUT, I would suggest you free up your memory services like darkseider suggests. It makes a world of difference. The main default apps and services to remove if you do not need them are
HubKap
Touiteur
ColorNote
Google Search (Optional)
Archos Widget (Optional If you like it)
Archos Firmware update (If you plan to manually choose update)

These will free your device to above 100Mb and if you lose some of the others, you will get up to 140. It becomes a zippier device just like a PC with the fewer services and apps running.

matthew2582

Jun 29, 2010
Appreciate the reply Gurgle - am running Task Manager too which auto kills apps when device goes to sleep.

Ok I am going to RMA the unit - only a week old - but of course Archos has no stock

:rolleyes:

His instructions are for the prior to 2.0.71 Firmware. But I think you may have a Battery issue- matthew2582. I am not getting that drain on my 101. And searching the Archosfans site, I have not seen it either for any of the 28/32/43/70/101.
BUT, I would suggest you free up your memory services like darkseider suggests. It makes a world of difference. The main default apps and services to remove if you do not need them are
HubKap
Touiteur
ColorNote
Google Search (Optional)
Archos Widget (Optional If you like it)
Archos Firmware update (If you plan to manually choose update)

These will free your device to above 100Mb and if you lose some of the others, you will get up to 140. It becomes a zippier device just like a PC with the fewer services and apps running.

ethutch

Dec 23, 2010
I have found that on my phone it sometimes gets stuck in USB polling mode. There doesn't seem to really be a defined cause for this. I've only had the Archos 70 for a day so no experience yet. But the phone drains the battery as you describe. I use System Monitor which is NOT free but it is super cool. But any way you can look at CPU utilization you may see it pegged.

My one step solution is to go into settings and toggle USB debugging. Doesn't much matter whether you like it on or off. Just change it's state, wait a moment and change it back. This solves my battery issue.

On the screen mine REFUSED to type "C" and "R". So much so I was thinking the display must be defective. But before I started the (probably non-existent) return proceedings, I hunted down recalibrate screen in the settings. That FIXED it and it is now what I expected from a capacitive touch screen.

Hope this helps

matthew2582

Jun 29, 2010
Wow - Darkseider's advice about reinitializing and installing gappsinstaller_v4 has made my A70 much faster and whereas I would experience 100% battery drain if left overnight on standby - I now have about 80% left the next morning - still think that is excessive but a huge change

Have had the A70 for a week, upgraded to Froyo, Market gApps4Archos version 1 and latest firmware 2.0.71 allows 600, 800 and 1ghz power management. Love the device, the build, the capacitive screen - but battery drain is terrible. From 100% down to approx 65% - losing 5% an hour with no apps running - from 65% onwards - just browsing this site losing 1% every two minutes

Darkseider - do you think your procedure described below might help - or is this just a bad battery.

Incidentally - we also have a 101 - and applied the same upgrade procedure as listed above and here: Forum.ArchosFans.com - View topic - Step by Step Plan to Upgrade brand new Archos Devices to 2.2 and battery drain is less than 1% from 100% down to 99%. Doubtless, the drain will accelerate as it gets donw to around 65%

Jason1982

Dec 23, 2010
Hey I tried to download z4root 1.3.0 but the android apps market says theres no match, hence its not there. so not sure what to do beyond that.

Jason1982

Dec 23, 2010
I am also getting terrible battery life. I watched it go from 90 to 82 in like 3 minutes or less...

pvella

Dec 20, 2010
Z4root is no longer in the apps store. Google is your friend.

Sent from my Ideos S7 using Android Tablet Forum App