JB 4.2.2 Update

Abb0nz

Dec 31, 2010
Hey Team,

I haven't seen a lot on the latest update regarding the SGT 2 7.0. What does everyone think?

Personally, I'm not keen on the new look but operationally it seems ok I guess. no issues that I've noticed... so far.

What say you?

SEMIJim

Aug 20, 2011
I haven't done it yet, but might will today. My wife did it a couple days ago. She does' care for it. I fooled with her tablet a bit, and this morning was showing her how to force a Google sync. I don't like it, either. I thought the old layout of the bar at the bottom of the screen was much handier. The new one is clunky and wastes real estate. I thought the old notifications pop-up, with the switches and settings, was much handier. I preferred the old recent apps pop-up. I hate the new location for the apps drawer widget.

It looks to me like they randomly changed things purely for the sake of changing things.

I'm actually seriously reconsidering applying it, despite my hope it finally whacks the clipboard crash bug (to which Samsung has never admitted exists).

Jim

mikee

May 29, 2011
I like the update but at first it was very laggy right after the update but a factory reset fixed most of that. It does seem slightly laggy at times where it wasn't in android 4.1

I wonder if this is going to be the last official update for this tablet for future versions like 4.3 or kitkat 4.4 but I doubt it. But once kitkat comes out supposedly in a month hopefully roms come out for the SGT 2 7.0

Last edited:

Abb0nz

Dec 31, 2010
Hmmm, I thought you were never getting another Samsung product Jim?

Personally I don't have the restart issue and have never had the clipboard issue but there's obviously an issue out there I guess. I had CyanogenMod on my Nook Color and might look into updating my SGT2 7.0 to it as well.

SEMIJim

Aug 20, 2011
Hmmm, I thought you were never getting another Samsung product Jim?
I probably didn't say "never." I try never to say "never." This is an example of why.

I held out for... six months?, waiting for somebody to come out with a reasonably affordable tablet with decent specs. Did not happen. Then my wife and I were in Costco one day and they had Tab 2s on sale again for $280. I grit my teeth and bought another. Oddly enough: The clipboard bug has nailed me a couple times, but not nearly as repetitively as it did on the first Tab 2 I had.

Phones are HTC's, tho. Make no mistake: If there's a reasonable alternative: I will avoid Samsung mobile devices.

Personally I don't have the restart issue and have never had the clipboard issue but there's obviously an issue out there I guess. I had CyanogenMod on my Nook Color and might look into updating my SGT2 7.0 to it as well.
Not certain which restart issue it is to which you refer. The only one I know about is the clipboard bug restart issue. Pre-4.1.1 the clipboard bug "merely" made the clipboard non-functional. Upon 4.1.1: The clipboard bug crashes the device. And it is still an issue. Fairly regular new complaints in Samsung's developers forum. (Samsung's developers are now totally silent on the issue, and have been for some time.) In fact, just today: Forum | SAMSUNG Developers

I suppose this is The Guardian article to which that poster referred: Samsung criticised as Android device copy bug is unfixed after eight months | Technology | theguardian.com (That's where my .sig came from.)

Since the clipboard bug has "only" bit me two-three times in the three months of so I've owned the thing, I'll tolerate that over what I'm seeing 4.2.2 is doing to people. Never mind the ugly things they did to the UI.

Thinking about CyanogenMod. Even more so now that Samsung's downloaded 4.2.2 into my tablet and is pestering me to install it. The tablet is nice hardware. Crap software, tho :(

Jim

mikee

May 29, 2011
Just an update since my last post was a day after updating. The new firmware seems to eat up much more memory even when no apps installed and in the battery use chart states (Android OS) causing 90% battery drain. I also can no longer get more than 1 day idle time on battery. On 4.1 I got almost 4 days
So I too am thinking of installing a custom rom. I have heard cyanogenmod is going to have an installer app in the play store soon

edap

Dec 12, 2012
As it turns out, CM Installer isn’t just a one-click solution on your device to installing CyanogenMod. In fact, most of the action doesn’t even take place on your device. What happens is that you install the app from Google Play and it’ll guide you through the steps of loading CyanogenMod onto your device. It will then have a link to a website where you can download a PC app that will actually take care of the process.
While it may sound more complex than it should be, it’s fairly simple. Simple as in you plug your device into your computer via the USB cable, get the desktop app all up and running and then follow the super easy instructions on screen. Primarily, you just click the “Next” button. It takes about ten minutes to complete the entire process.

SEMIJim

Aug 20, 2011
I installed CyanogenMod 10.1.3 last night. So far it's looking pretty good. Only disappointment is the UI is more like Samsung's 4.2.2 UI than the 4.1.1 one that the screen shots on XDA show.

The install can be much easier than the on-line docs indicate. Just copy CM and Gapps to /sdcard or extsdcard before starting, and, once you get CWM installed, you can install the other two from there, rather than messing with adb.

Jim

Abb0nz

Dec 31, 2010

SEMIJim

Aug 20, 2011
Abb0nz,

Yes, I used Heimdall to install ClockworkMod Recovery (Aka: "CWM"). Then I used CWM to install CM and Gapps from either /sdcard or /extsdcard, I don't recall which. I put both of them in both places, and I think I installed one from each, as a test.

I put a microSDHC card into a USB card reader and copied CM and Gapps to it, validated their md5sums, then I put the card into the tablet, and copied them to /sdcard using ES File Explorer. Then I installed CWM (using Heimdall), booted into that, and installed CM. Booted into CM to make sure it was working. Booted back into CWM, installed Gapps, rebooted into CM and away I went.

Jim

SEMIJim

Aug 20, 2011
Thanks Jim. I'll do this in the next couple of days.
You're welcome. Good luck!

Here's more reading you may find useful: Cm Installation: Cwm, Stock Rom, /sdcard, Cm And Gapps? - The Lounge - CyanogenMod Forum

I did the Heimdall steps tapiov recommended, and I also booted from CWM into Samsung's ROM just to see if it would wipe out CWM. It did not. Then, once back in CWM: I did a nandroid backup, rebooted back into Samsung's ROM a 2nd time, and copied that nandroid backup into extsdcard, as well.

I was really playing it safe :p

Btw: What the instructions don't exactly say, IIRC, is that, when booting into CWM: You can let go of volume down and power as soon as you see "Samsung" show up on the display. It'll go dark for an uncomfortably long time (or so it seems) and come up in CWM.

Jim

Abb0nz

Dec 31, 2010
Thanks Jim. Have to admit that my first attempt was a failure, I keep getting an error when I try to execute the "heimdall flash --RECOVERY recovery.img --no-reboot" command. I get a "Heimdall is not recognized as an internal or external command..."
I'll have a look at the link you put up to see if I have more success. It's been a while since I played around with the Nook Color and it's almost like starting from scratch again!
Thanks again.

Just read through that link, and it's VERY obvious that you're so far above me on the programming ladder that I can't even see your feet :) To be honest, I'm not really much past "Hello World" if you know what I mean (and I'm sure you do).
I have one question if that's ok.
I mentioned above that I got an error when using the command "heimdall flash --RECOVERY recovery.img --no-reboot" but on the thread you pointed me to the command was "sudo heimdall flash --RECOVERY <recovery_image.img> --verbose --no-reboot". Could that be the problem??

And I've just realized I am indeed an idiot. I actually typed "recovery.img"! Wow, it has been a while!

Last edited:

SEMIJim

Aug 20, 2011
First of all: The "sudo" thing is Linux-specific. MS-Win has no "sudo" command. (Running heimdall under sudo is like telling a MS-Win program to run with Administrator rights.)

The installation procedure is kind of vague/inaccurate. I suppose they were trying to simplify things, but they've generated a lot of confusion. When they say "recovery.img" they mean the name of the recovery image file, whatever it is. In my case it was "recovery-clockwork-6.0.2.3-p5113.img". When they say "put it in the heimdall directory," they really mean "put in in the directory from which you execute heimdall." Otherwise, heimdall of course will not find it.

The "Heimdall is not recognized as an internal or external command...": Why is heimdall capitalized? Did you perhaps accidentally capitalize it on the command line? (If it's MS-Win it won't matter. It will matter if it's Linux or, I think, OS X.) That error message indicated the command you tried to execute could not be found. Regardless of operating system: It needs to be in your PATH or you need to explicitly path it. (I.e.: Specifiy the full path to the command.)

I'll be of limited help if you're using MS-Win or OS X, btw.

Jim