Largest Capacity MicroSD card for A500

Frederuco

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jul 6, 2011
Correction:

Exfat is a Microsoft invention that only applies to Vista and Win7, and XP with sp3.

You can format 64g and beyond to regular Fat32 with earlier Windows operating systems, and a command line utility that comes with Win7, as well as free utilities from many other disk drive manufacturers (google for them, they are free), as well as any Linux Distribution.

Fat32 is not limited to 32gig.

exFat is still patent pending.

exFAT may still be patent pending, but according to this article from the SD Card association any cards and devices that are officially SDXC (larger than 32GB compatible) will use the exFAT file system.

SD Association said:
The exFAT file system used for SDXC is available on Microsoft Windows 7, Windows Vista and Windows XP (SP1 or later)

Source: https://www.sdcard.org/consumers/sdxc_capabilities/using_sdxc/

Yes, you can format it for FAT32, but files over 4 GB in size will not be able to be placed on the card.

stankopp

Sep 28, 2011
If you format your card as NTFS, HC 3.2 and above can read it. However, if you try to use an NTFS formatted card for recovery, the recovery operating system will not read it. At least that has been my experience. I have stuck with FAT32 on my SDHC cards for that reason. I have not tried anything larger than 32GB.

Frederuco

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jul 6, 2011
Ahh, yes, good point. I have a small (4GB) card that I have just for Recovery/ROM's that is FAT32.

Douvie

Jun 10, 2011
Correction:

Exfat is a Microsoft invention that only applies to Vista and Win7, and XP with sp3.

You can format 64g and beyond to regular Fat32 with earlier Windows operating systems, and a command line utility that comes with Win7, as well as free utilities from many other disk drive manufacturers (google for them, they are free), as well as any Linux Distribution.

Fat32 is not limited to 32gig.

exFat is still patent pending.

Yeah Icebike I couldn't remember where I had seen it. However now I remember, exFAT or FAT 64 came with my OEM SYSTEM BUILDER'S DISK PACK from MS. When I built my High Graphic powered systems that I used the SYSTEM BUILDER DISK to do RAM testing and other important tasks before I load the WIN 7 OS.

According to the article in wiki FAT32 had the capability of addressing a maximum size of 64 TB. Which is about right. However this is a limitation of MS's earlier OS's. Linux did not have that problem. So it should work in the A500. I can't see any reason why Linux of any distro shouldn't be able to use it. My wife asked specifically regarding the A500 before we bought them and was assured that 64GB microSD could be used in the microSD slot.

Last edited:

jpinsl

Dec 3, 2011
According to this person formatting a 64 GB MicroSDCard formatted to FAT32 does work in the A500.

Anyone tested NTFS on a 64 GB card or even a 128 GB card.

(Note: this is regarding the internal MicroSD slot, not mounting something via the full-size USB port.)

Frederuco

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jul 6, 2011
According to this person formatting a 64 GB MicroSDCard formatted to FAT32 does work in the A500.

Anyone tested NTFS on a 64 GB card or even a 128 GB card.

(Note: this is regarding the internal MicroSD slot, not mounting something via the full-size USB port.)

Yes, you can format a 64 GB card (or larger) for FAT32, but some windows PC's need a tool to do this as M$ has added restrictions on SD card formats to make people use exFAT per the SDXC standard (and their new file system)

I can confirm that HC 3.2 can read a NTFS formatted 64 GB microSD. I much prefer NTFS as FAT32 has a 4 GB per file size limitation.

Greg_E

Nov 15, 2011
Microsoft is just following the official guidelines for fat32 which is 32gb maximum, anything above that is not an official version. If you look at the SD specification website, they suggest that working with SDXC is mostly a driver change so all we need is the card slot to see it and the exFAT to read/write to it. OSX 10.6.6 supports exFAT, winXP and Vista have a free driver, win7 comes with exFAT, haven't played with Linux enough to see if any flavors have exFAT.