Location?

pbrauer

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 24, 2010
You need GPS, which the gtab doesn't have. If you have a phone with GPS and Bluetooth you can connect it that way, I have a post here detailing how to do this.

cool1100

Dec 7, 2010
While using my augen gentouch 78 It finds my location using google maps and my location comes up on the stock browser using google. I'm pretty sure it does not have gps, but still works.

Sent from my Android for Telechips TCC8900 Evaluation Board (US) using Android Tablet Forum App

Swould333

Aug 5, 2010
Check under "location&security" in the settings menu... there should be a check box for "use wireless networks"...
I don't have this tablet but that's a general Android item.. it allows your locaton to be pulled from your wifi and or mobile network, WIFI would be the case here....

pbrauer

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 24, 2010
You can set it to use WiFi, and then it will try to derive your location via WiFi settings true, but that is going to be hit-or-miss, and not particularly accurate, especially if moving. Just a word of caution...

tcrews

Oct 19, 2010
Currently the only ROM on the Viewsonic Gtablet that supports network location services is an early "pre beta" CyanogenMod 7 (Gingerbread source based).
VEGAn, TnT (Stock) and TnT-lite do not support it.

mbgbradley

Apr 6, 2011
Currently the only ROM on the Viewsonic Gtablet that supports network location services is an early "pre beta" CyanogenMod 7 (Gingerbread source based).
VEGAn, TnT (Stock) and TnT-lite do not support it.

I'm running TnT Lite 4.40 and at first glance the location was working. When I launched Google Maps, it found my approximate location (via wifi no doubt). After a few days of customizing and adding apps, I noticed the it no longer works.
Is there any fix for this? I would like it to work as it did; I'm not interested in adding other apps to mask or fake my location, I can do that.

Morgue

Apr 1, 2011
I am not so concerned with something actually finding my location as I am working. Isn't there a way to manually enter locations to get an app working?

tcrews

Oct 19, 2010
TnT Lite 4.40 doesn't support WiFi location services as all the TnT Lite's are based off the stock ROM from Viewsonic (which also does not support WiFi Location Services).

Currently CM7 (which has now gone "stable release" and all the derivatives from it (all the Gingerbread ROMs for the Gtablet) support WiFi Location Services.

There are apps to fake your location (FakeMyLocation being one ) and many apps will allow you to enter your location (Flixster Movies, News and Weather "Genie" Widget, etc..).

I'm running TnT Lite 4.40 and at first glance the location was working. When I launched Google Maps, it found my approximate location (via wifi no doubt). After a few days of customizing and adding apps, I noticed the it no longer works.
Is there any fix for this? I would like it to work as it did; I'm not interested in adding other apps to mask or fake my location, I can do that.

Fuganater

Staff member
Feb 8, 2011
G-Harmony-Gingerbread v2.2 works great with wifi GPS. Finds my location with Google Maps and Locator within about 50 yards. Its great for my family to be able to see where in Africa I am.

mbgbradley

Apr 6, 2011
Upon further exploration, my wifi location does work! EXCEPT it only works with Google Latitude. Unfortunately, I haven't figured out how to exploit this; ideally I'd like all location requests from all apps to use the Google Latitude location (or whatever network locator API that is working with Google Latitude).

Any suggestions?

Running TnT Lite 4.40 on gTablet and loving it! Also thank you to all the developers for their incredible work in turning this device from dud to stud! Seriously we all appreciate your efforts!

Sent from my GTablet-TnT-Lite using Android Tablet Forum