Logiech K400r wireless keyboard and eForCity A to Micro B Female / Male adaptor

sambena

Dec 30, 2012
This is a review of both the Logitech K400r wireless keyboard with touchpad and a A to B usb connector sold by eforcity.

First lets talk about the keyboard. Out of the box the keyboard works great. I just plugged in it and the tablet recognized it with only one minor fuss. when plugging in the receiver dongle you must plug the A to B converter in first then plug in the dongle.

Some things that don't work on the keyboard are the windows key. this is due to the fact that the standard android key layout doesn't have the windows key bound to anything. I suppose this can be fixed by editing the qwerty.kl or the generic.kl in system/user/keylayout I suppose you would also have to mess with the qwerty.kcm or generic.kcm in the keychars folder. Im not an expert in this at all but I plan on figuring out a way to bind that key.

standard keys like vol up and down work same with the home key. the touchpad has a few quirks. This is mainly due to the fact that android wasn't designed for mice. so things like highlighting text to copy works as if you are using a touch screen. this is where the biggest nuance lies. sometimes the touchpad works like a touchpad and sometimes it works like a touch screen. there isnt any real conformity to any standard.

the touchpad has multi touch but you can't pinch to zoom or do any multi touch activities. You can however scroll with two fingers. yay!

overall the keyboard works great. I would give it a 4 out of 5 only because of the software issues. :cool:

now on to my review of the mico usb to usb converter.
the converter is bigger then I expected. with nothing plugged in it is about 2 inches long. It is however nice to not have a big cable sticking out the side of the tablet. the converter works as advertised, with the exception of needing to plug any devices after you plug in the converter into your tablet. another nuance is how flimsy it feels when plugged in. I would be very careful about putting any weight on this when plugged in. you could do damage to either your tablet or the converter or both. I would take it out whenever your not using it.
even though having a longer cable sticking out might look dumb I would recommend getting that style of converter instead of this.
I would give this a 3 out of 5. it works but is flimsy and cheap. :)

sambena

Dec 30, 2012
So I did some research and I found out how to make a keyboard layout for the K400r
Framistat on thriveforums posted this article on how to make a custom key layout.

How to Create a Customized Keylayout for Any USB or Bluetooth Keyboard (ROOTED)

here is my kl I made. I mapped both the windows key(key 125) and alt + f4 (key 62) to home
you will need to save it to /system/usr/keylayout/ and make sure to chmod it to 644 and reboot.

https://docs.google.com/file/d/0Bwmg3shYHnGLcmo0R3BjRjk1ZnM/preview

https://docs.google.com/file/d/0Bwmg3shYHnGLV3RSTExQaDFVWFU/preview

Last edited:

arbarnhart

Jan 1, 2013
I have an adapter that I use for thumb drives that was considering for a keyboard, but I would really want a Y cable or something so I could charge while the keyboard was plugged in. I am also considering a bluetooth keyboard, but I would pretty much use that only at home so portability isn't important and I don't want yet another device to charge or feed batteries. I am getting a lot better at using soft keyboards though, so I may just forego it altogether.

anika200

Dec 2, 2012
I would really want a Y cable or something so I could charge while the keyboard was plugged in. I am getting a lot better at using soft keyboards though, so I may just forego it altogether.

Can you do that, charge and use keyboard via y adapter thing? Also, have you checked out thumbs keyboard from the play store. It makes typing on softkey easy.