Looking for an Android Tablet for Christmas, What Should I Get?

letangerang58

Dec 1, 2012
I've had an Android phone for the past 3 years and I've loved both of them. Right now I'm looking for an Android tablet as a Christmas present and I'm wondering if I could get some advise on what to get and what to look for. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

The biggest thing that I use my android for is for streaming video. I stream a lot of sports games on my phone (Verizon says I use 7GB/month) and I also stream TV shows while I'm at the gym. Because of this I'm looking for a tablet that has some decent processing power. I've been looking at the tablets on Amazon and I noticed that some of them have "graphics coprocessors." Do these make a big difference in the ability for a tablet to stream video? Other than video streaming I just surf the web with my droid and use it to look at fantasy sports things and other things so I shouldn't need high end hardware for that. I may end up doing some gaming on this tablet but really that's what my Xbox is for.

I would like to be able to connect a keyboard through a USB drive so if you have suggestions for accessories that can help me do that it would be greatly appreciated.

I'm looking for a tablet between $200 - $350 but I would prefer to keep it closer to $300 or less unless its a large difference in quality.

Also I notice most of the tablets in the price range I'm looking at are Honeycomb. Have most of these devices upgraded to Ice Cream Sandwich? I'd really prefer to get a tablet that already has the upgrade out.

I'd prefer a screen around 10".

Here are some of the tablets that I have caught my attention so far:
MOTOROLA XOOM Android Tablet
Acer Iconia A200
ViewSonic gTablet with 10" Multi-Touch LCD Screen, Android OS 2.2 (Has 2.2 would this be able to support ICS and is it available for upgrade?)
Lenovo ThinkPad 1838-22U 10.1" 16GB Tablet (No Stylus)
ASUS Transformer TF101-A1 10.1-Inch Tablet (Probably won't get the docking port because it's just so expensive.)

mikee

May 29, 2011
That is a terrible price for the gtablet. I was actually looking to get one of those back in july 2011 and it was only about 220$ back then. The upside to the gtablet is that it has a wide variety of roms to choose from maybe even a jellybean rom.

I myself have a samsung galaxy tab 2 7.0 which I like a lot. It is plenty powerful with a dualcore processor and is only 200$ though it isn't a 10 inch. (I prefer the 7 inch form factor)

The asus eeepad transformer tf101 is pretty good my friend has it

Newegg.com - Refurbished: ASUS Eee Pad Transformer (TF101-A1) Tablet NVIDIA Tegra 2 1.00GHz 10.1" Wide SVGA 1GB DDR2 Memory 16GB Flash NVIDIA ULP GeForce

Also the archos 80 g9 turbo tablet is also worth looking at

ARCHOS 502032 80 G9 TURBO Internet Tablet - Android 4.0 Ice Cream Sandwich, ARM Cortex A9 1.5GHz, 8GB Flash Memory, 1GB RAM, 8 Touchscreen, Bluetooth, WiFi, Webcam at TigerDirect.com

I'm not sure about hooking a wired keyboard to tablets but there are usb OTG cables but a bluetooth keyboard is more practical and they are compatible since almost all tablets have bluetooth built in

hope this helps

Last edited:

letangerang58

Dec 1, 2012
Ok, I didn't know that about the keyboards. I guess if Bluetooth is the easier route for keyboards then I'll go with Bluetooth.

Spider

Administrator
Staff member
Mar 24, 2011
Hi letangerang, welcome to the forum. Glad you decided to join us here at Android Tablets. The best place on the forum for "shopping" information and recommendations is the Android Tablet Discussions section. I'm going to move your thread over there for you so folks can discuss your tablet requirements with you and hopefully make some suggestions. Good luck!

letangerang58

Dec 1, 2012
Hi letangerang, welcome to the forum. Glad you decided to join us here at Android Tablets. The best place on the forum for "shopping" information and recommendations is the Android Tablet Discussions section. I'm going to move your thread over there for you so folks can discuss your tablet requirements with you and hopefully make some suggestions. Good luck!

Thanks! I was actually thinking that I should have posted it in that forum but I had already posted it in here.

Tanzanite

Jan 14, 2012
A USB keyboard is cheaper and I really like the keyboards that also works as a stand for the tablet.

Concerning the tablet Zenithink would be a good choice. It should come in at the low end of your budget and it is good a good quality tablet with Android 4.x.

cali

Super Moderator
Staff member
Sep 25, 2011
Welcome to the site. Try to get to one of the retailers, like Best Buy, to check out some of these, to help with your decision.