Looking for tablet to read pdf files

jazzybazz

Sep 1, 2011
Hello,

I am looking for a tablet to read pdf files. Ideally I would download any file on my computer and them transfer it to the tablet and be able to open it without any hassle. I don't need any wifi, video playing, mp3, camera, all that flashy stuff. The only thing I need is pdf file reading. As for the size and resolution, maybe something big enough to see one full page at once and be able to read it. As for battery life, at least 4 hours. An eReader is not a option since it can't read any pdf file and most of them don't have color. What is the cheapest tablet that can do this?

Thank you very much

pbrauer

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 24, 2010
It is the application that runs on the tablet, not the tablet itself. If that really is all you are looking for, find a tablet that runs Android 2.1 or better and you can install Adobe Reader on it which would give full support for PDFs, and the app is free from the market.

Spider

Administrator
Staff member
Mar 24, 2011
As for the size and resolution, maybe something big enough to see one full page at once and be able to read it.

Hello jazzy, welcome to the forum. You've already got some good advice. I would just add that you're going to have to decide for yourself what size screen you can comfortably view a full page on. Go to a store, if possible, and play around with a couple to find out what size you need. Good luck!

jazzybazz

Sep 1, 2011
Hello, Thank you for your answers.

I went to a shop today to get a feel for tablet screen sizes and I think I would prefer a 10" screen size for better pdf reading. The other important thing is battery. All other stuff such as gps, hdmi, 3g, flash, video playback is useless to me. So I am looking for a 10" tablet that last at least 4 hours.

I have done some research and found out about the Zt-180 and the flytouch 3. Any comments about these two tablets and how do they compare?

jazzybazz

Sep 1, 2011
I have done some more research, it seems like good pdf reading has more to do with aspect ratio than screen size. 4:3 aspect ratio looks like the way to go for reading. Any thoughts?

canadian1969

Oct 2, 2011
I have done some more research, it seems like good pdf reading has more to do with aspect ratio than screen size. 4:3 aspect ratio looks like the way to go for reading. Any thoughts?

I have the exact same requirements, WiFi would be required in my case as I would also like web access and download other Android apps. PDF reading being the primary purpose though. I just can't see reading a PDF on anything less than a 10" tablet though. 7-8" tablets would likely blind me. I would ideally like to see at least 50-70% of a page of text.

I am not sure how aspect ratio would really matter though. Ideally reading a PDF in landscape mode on a wide aspect ratio would probably be better no?

Androidicus

Sep 4, 2011
I am not sure how aspect ratio would really matter though. Ideally reading a PDF in landscape mode on a wide aspect ratio would probably be better no?

It all depends on the content of the PDF itself.

If you are looking at a e-brochure for example, that has a lot of pictures shot in a 16:9 ratio on the page, then reading in landscape is going to be preferred over portrait. However, most text/copy is still set up in the traditional 8x11 printed page format. Thus, portrait is going to be the preferred reading orientation most likely.

The reason 4:3 is better is because it is a square vs. 16:9 that is a rectangle.

Reading documents on a 4:3 screen (in any orientation) looks more natural because we are inherently used to printed material that is square by default. This is because no one side is longer than the other :)

Jun 29, 2011
May I suggest look at an app called ezPDFreader? I've got it on my Honeycomb tablet and froyo phone and it works well on both.
For synching between the computer and tablets it has been the most accurate for me and has the ability to edit the files as well as read.

Support Our Troops!!!

Sent from this Galaxy via Tapatalk