My tips and app recommendations for new rooted Nook Color users

Stelv

Jan 12, 2011
Nice work! I'm very new to this Forum. However, I'm very active on DroidForum as a mod and member of the rescue squad. On DF we advice users not to install a task killer Task Killers... The Answer from Google & Developers. - Droid Forum - Verizon Droid & the Motorola Droid Forum so I'm curious why it is being recommended for the Nook.

Thanks,

Mike

Yea i tell people like every other day on df not to use task killers. I think it is because most of us are still on 2.1 on the nook. I will never use an auto task killer though. I very rarely use a mini manual one sometimes on the nook. We should advise people not to use auto ones or any at all when we get froyo loaded on our devices.

Sent from my Droid

faceman

Staff member
Jan 21, 2011
I just wanted to add my personal favorite for Reading:

FBReader - And I like this one most because it (to me) has the easiest day/night switching, brightness controls, and bookmarking. Also, it now has a companion app called FBSync that allows me to sync all my bookmarks and reading places on my phone and my NC, so I can read the same book on both devices at the same time.

Last edited:
Feb 13, 2011
Thank you kelsoanim
Awesome post. I am a new Nook Color owner as well, and had already rooted it within hours like many of you here. Your post has lots of good, useful information.

Has anyone been able to figure out a good way to add magazines to the any of the alternate home pages? Right now if you long press the mag from the library it adds it to the B&N home page, which is useless. I'm using launcher pro (paid).

Berta

Feb 14, 2011
Excellent suggestions. The apps you listed are great.
All is working well with my rooted nookcolor except for 2 Google apps.
Gmail and Talk.
When I click on either they show up for about 30 seconds and then cut out and back to the main menu.
Only happens with these 2 google apps. Google's calendar and finance apps work fine.
When on the web and going to gmail --- all works as expected.

Any thoughts on what I should do?

Stelv

Jan 12, 2011
Excellent suggestions. The apps you listed are great.
All is working well with my rooted nookcolor except for 2 Google apps.
Gmail and Talk.
When I click on either they show up for about 30 seconds and then cut out and back to the main menu.
Only happens with these 2 google apps. Google's calendar and finance apps work fine.
When on the web and going to gmail --- all works as expected.

Any thoughts on what I should do?

We can help but need to know the process you took from stock/store condition to rooted where you are now.

Last edited:

z71ping

Jan 24, 2011
It was mentioned in this Thread to "not use task killers".
Can someone elaborate on the reasons why? not to use them.

Nice work! I'm very new to this Forum. However, I'm very active on DroidForum as a mod and member of the rescue squad. On DF we advice users not to install a task killer Task Killers... The Answer from Google & Developers. - Droid Forum - Verizon Droid & the Motorola Droid Forum so I'm curious why it is being recommended for the Nook.

Thanks,

Mike
I loaded Quickoffice to use to read my PDF's. Which is great btw.
I have a problem with it "quitting" if I have anything but Zeam,Button Saver and simple battery running...the app stops running. Seems like there is a conflict somewhere...but being a newbie...I have no idea.

So I use a task killer to kill all task's but those and the Quickoffice app seems to run fine...

Any suggestions?

~rick

Stelv

Jan 12, 2011
It was mentioned in this Thread to "not use task killers".
Can someone elaborate on the reasons why? not to use them.

I loaded Quickoffice to use to read my PDF's. Which is great btw.
I have a problem with it "quitting" if I have anything but Zeam,Button Saver and simple battery running...the app stops running. Seems like there is a conflict somewhere...but being a newbie...I have no idea.

So I use a task killer to kill all task's but those and the Quickoffice app seems to run fine...

Any suggestions?

~rick

Mike is correct about task killers, you do not want to be "Auto" killing anything, especially when we get froyo running stably on our devices. Google states that they work against the OS and can drain battery and cause performance issues. Android has a built in auto task killer of sorts that manages your programs for you, and is much more advanced in froyo and gingerbread. A third party auto tasker killer will work against the OS and is not a huge problem in 2.1, but it is in Android 2.2 and 2.3. I use a mini manual task manager rarely on my Nook https://market.android.com/details?id=com.mini.android.taskmanager to kill frozen or uncooperative apps, but you do not want to kill apps too often. I would suggest against auto killing.

Last edited:

z71ping

Jan 24, 2011
Mike is correct about task killers, you do not want to be "Auto" killing anything, especially when we get froyo running stably on our devices. Google states that they work against the OS and can drain battery and cause performance issues. Android has a built in auto task killer of sorts that manages your programs for you, and is much more advanced in froyo and gringerbread. A third party auto tasker killer will work against the OS and is not a huge problem in 2.1, but it is in Android 2.2 and 2.3. I use a mini manual task manager rarely on my Nook https://market.android.com/details?id=com.mini.android.taskmanager to kill frozen or uncooperative apps, but you do not want to kill apps too often. I would suggest against auto killing.

okay...so I am using Advanced Task Killer...This is a manual task killer as far as I know..but you recommend against even using it...correct?

Now to the reason I started using it....(advanced task killer)

Seems like there is a conflict somewhere...but being a newbie...I have no idea.

Is there something else I can do to remedy the Quickoffice app issue?( just randomly quitting and exiting) BTW the original Quickoffice did the same thing , I was hoping that the new quick office would not exit ...
as I stated earlier..when I kill all apps but Zeam, Button Savior and Simple battery. the Quick office runs fine
Any suggestions would help...

Stelv

Jan 12, 2011
It is ok to kill items manually, I do sometimes. You can kill all tasks if you want if it remedies the situation. Just don't set your Advanced Task Killer to automatically kill things or overuse it. There are certain things that should not be killed (mail, calender, gtasks, setcpu, etc). But if you need to kill them to get quick office to work go ahead. So basically I would say the task killer is alright as long as nothing is set to automatic and you only use it to resolve issues with certain apps (don't kill an app if you do not have too, especially apps like setcpu). I use to use Advanced Task Killer with 2.1 but it took up too much memory and often auto killed things, that is why I have the mini one now.

*Edit: Sorry I hope I am being helpful and giving the answers you are looking for. If using advanced task killer make sure you don't have any automatic kill settings set, because it is not just a manual task killer.

Last edited:
Feb 10, 2011
Thanks too nice tips and too good for the people those just have started here it is rely good habit that when you are saying some thing so must allow the people to talk about the topic is discussed by you mostly people don't do like that because they do not want some one to discuss them or to rectify there mistake and rely it is too difficult to to allow the some one to rectify my mistake mostly people don't do like that

z71ping

Jan 24, 2011

Thank you for the links and the advice!
you have been helpful.
Is there anyone else out there having issues with Quickoffice quitting? The program just exits and sends you back to the home screen... Any ideas?

~rick