Need a stylus

RaVenJ

Jan 24, 2011
I can't help with the stylus, but Autodesk Sketchbook is a great drawing program. For notes, I use Inkpad.

avi

Staff member
Jan 27, 2011
Thank you :)

Actually I need to draw thin lines so I thought drawing with stylus would be good. Can I able to draw thin lines with fingers ?

[will install app now]

RaVenJ

Jan 24, 2011
Sure you can. Sketchbook gives you total control over lineweight, color, transparency, etc.. A stylus is great for sketching, and I wish I had a good one, but you can do pretty good with your finger after you practice a bit.

avi

Staff member
Jan 27, 2011
Thank you Raven, that app is awesome :D Fun using it :)

And I am not buying stylus. I just read it'd harm my screen. Read here :

Capacitive Screens don't work the same way as Resistive screens.. In fact, you can't use traditional stylus at all. Unless it's a special digital type which is under development by Apple.

It's best not to spoil the polycarbonate/glass capacitive screen.. Finger works best (until newer types are released. Those "capacitive" stylus work more or less like finger, large and flat.. Not precise like old resistive tablets)

RaVenJ

Jan 24, 2011
I'd question the accuracy of that quote. Capacitive styluses (stylii?) have been out for a long time now, and the fact that the author seems to be saying that only Apple can develop one is laughable. If they were harmful, then the market for them wouldn't still exist. Enough people would have made enough noise about it to kill the demand. As for them being large and flat, the fact that I can draw with my fingernail tells me that you should be able to use a fairly precise tip.

avi

Staff member
Jan 27, 2011
I donno what to say. But who replied is a former Mod and highly reputed member.

PS - He is not even Apple fanboi. He himself uses Android.

RaVenJ

Jan 24, 2011
I donno what to say. But who replied is a former Mod and highly reputed member.

PS - He is not even Apple fanboi. He himself uses Android.

Mod or not, I still question the data. Looking at Ebay briefly, I saw plenty of options that were not large and flat. I'm probably going to buy one myself.

avi

Staff member
Jan 27, 2011
well then you can tell your experience :)

pbrauer

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 24, 2010
I bought a 3 pack of capacitive styli on Android for $2.70, and the work just fine. Here is the link: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002BBJMO6/ref=oss_product

they took a little practice in Maple Paint and Sketchbook, and i had to set the line weight how I wanted it but then it was great. The other thing I would say is make sure that your screen is clean when you use it, if there are a lot of fingerprint smudges the grip funky. I do the RainX trick and that helps a lot too.

Sent from my ANDROID!

Last edited:

pbrauer

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 24, 2010
YMMV, but I have a post on the Viewsonic forum about treating your touchscreen with RainX. This cuts down on fingerprint smudges by about 90 percent, and also makes re-cleaning your screen incredibly easy with a lint-free glasses cloth. The other advantage is that it makes the screen incredibly smooth and slick to the touch. Since the Nook is a Gorilla Glass screen, it would certainly work here too.

faceman

Staff member
Jan 21, 2011
I bought a 3 pack of capacitive styli on Android for $2.70, and the work just fine. Here is the link: Amazon.com: 3 Pack of Universal Touch Screen Stylus Pen (Red + Black + Silver): Cell Phones & Accessories

they took a little practice in Maple Paint and Sketchbook, and i had to set the line weight how I wanted it but then it was great. The other thing I would say is make sure that your screen is clean when you use it, if there are a lot of fingerprint smudges the grip funky. I do the RainX trick and that helps a lot too.

Sent from my ANDROID!

As an "impulse buy" I added those to another order I made from Amazon and I have to say that they are awesome for tapping. But anything that requires dragging (most things with Android) they suck. Actually they STICK. What is this RainX trick you speak of, and do you use screen protectors or bare glass?

pbrauer

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 24, 2010
As an "impulse buy" I added those to another order I made from Amazon and I have to say that they are awesome for tapping. But anything that requires dragging (most things with Android) they suck. Actually they STICK. What is this RainX trick you speak of, and do you use screen protectors or bare glass?

The sticking is what I was talking about before (although I thought it was more of a grab than a stick). The RainX thing is on the bare glass. Here is the post: http://www.androidtablets.net/forum/nook/8531-making-your-nook-display-90-fingerprint-free.html

Last edited: