Need help choosing an Android pc tablet

alexsmom01

Oct 28, 2010
My daughter would like an Ipod touch, Ipad and a netbook for Christmas. In reality she is not getting any of those. I thought about an Android PC tablet but I don't know where to start. I am not familiar with them and want to make sure I get something that she can use and will enjoy. She is 9 and will use it for email, youtube, game websites and that is about it. What would you recommend or I would I be better off just getting a netbook?

JShort

Oct 28, 2010
Last xmas my kids got netbooks from santa clause *<|:))
The android tablet option was not available, but I knew Android was a great choice for ease of use, price, available free apps and speed. Android boots up in 12 seconds. The devices are Acer Aspire with dual boot Android and Windows XP. Xp is there in the event that something normally done on the desktop needs to be done. This is rare and as of late, Android handles most. Santa paid $300 shipped. Given the choice and if I had to make the decision now it would be the same. These devices are meant to be on a desk or lap with a keyboard and tucked away in a book bag..they are used for school work, web browsing and email. The small notebook like form factor fits this purpose. I am looking for a tablet (Archos 101) for this year, but it will be for my wife, avid reader, web and email, skype, maybe a little reference work in the kitchen and some image/video display on the TV. It will likely never leave the house, but the form factor is better for casual reading and use than the laptop format. I do hope it replaces the desktop. The choice is yours. Both are 10.1 inch screens and for $300 for either you cannot go wrong. Consider the primary use and a use that would not work on either form factor and you may arrive at an answer.

alexsmom01

Oct 28, 2010
I am hoping for a lower priced option, under 200.00. I just don't know what ones to look at. I want something that will be easy to use and have a decent speed. I think at least 1mhz but don't know much more than that. I saw the post about the one at Walgreens but I don't know how fast it would be. Please help with some good suggestions on which tablets to look at.

JShort

Oct 28, 2010
Do you have an idea of what size screen you want? Some very cheap tablets are on eBay and some retail outlets. The Walgreens offering is a Maylong M-150, 7" screen and 400Mhz processor. It may not be the ultimate but for $100, it may fit your needs, but don't expect it to be fast, have long batter life, OS upgradeable or have more advanced features like multitouch. There is a video here that shows it in use: Walgreens now selling $100 Maylong M-150 Android tablet -- Engadget

DaHanz

Aug 24, 2010
... 1mhz ....
Well, for under $200 you sadly won't find a tablet with 1Ghz (I think this is what you mean^^).
I also would suggest a tablet with a 7" form factor, this would give her the possibility to hold it better in her small hands.

You also mentioned "gaming sites" as a use for it, so you should buy a device with Android 2.2 and Flash-Support!

Nowsupplier

Oct 7, 2010
My daughter would like an Ipod touch, Ipad and a netbook for Christmas. In reality she is not getting any of those. I thought about an Android PC tablet but I don't know where to start. I am not familiar with them and want to make sure I get something that she can use and will enjoy. She is 9 and will use it for email, youtube, game websites and that is about it. What would you recommend or I would I be better off just getting a netbook?

You daught is 9, so it would be much more user-friendlly due to its portable features and it's better to be a 7'' or 8'' tablet. If you want your daught to use it have fun on Youtube, there must to be Android 2.2 tablet because only Android 2.2 would run Flash. So, you can take a close look on this thread: http://www.androidtablets.net/forum...ch-android-2-2-os-tablet-fantastic-price.html

Besides, you also can conside some mini laptops, but maybe it's more tough to take along.