Need help with Android Tablet to read Tech PDFs

cruxx

Dec 12, 2010
First off hello there ^_^. I found this wonderful forum last night while researching for an android tablet that can read PDFs.

I know many eReaders can read PDFs but I keep reading they can read eBook'd PDFs and not technical PDFS. I need help buying a tablet that can read Techie PDFs. I do a lot of work in a field that deals with Cisco, MS, and other techie related things and I am honestly tired of printing the PDF learning books out and killing trees.

I (like most others) would prefer 2.1 or 2.2. I really don't mine either way as I will mostly use it on my daily train ride. Flash isn't a big deal for me as being able to read and maybe watching a movie or two. Battery all I am shooting for is at least 4-6 hours as I don't mind charging every night. I would like to aim for a budget of $250ish and less if possible.

I did notice (even on some posts here) that a rooted Nook-Color does PDFs nice but I can't find any info if it will do non-eBook PDFs well. Any insight on this?

-Cruxx

[Thank all who help me ahead of time I really appreciate it. I know a good amount about android but nothing about tablets since many are Chinese made ones]

Last edited:

ovenwu

Nov 8, 2010
Most of Android Tablet PC can read PDFs,But I don't know what you said the Techie PDFs,if possible you can contact with me and send a file of the Techie PDFs,I'll test it for you.
Thx

xaueious

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 9, 2010
Nook Color if you can get your hands on one and don't mind the extra hacking around to get it to a usable state. Nothing close to it in the Chinese market even though it only has Android 2.1.

cruxx

Dec 12, 2010
Thanks for suggestion :) I don't mind hacking around as I root every phone I have. The best buy about 15 minutes from here has them in stock.

Ovenwu I sent a sample pdf of cisco ccna 640-802 http://goo.gl/FiQ09 That is a preview of it on the Google eBook store. I think the sample video I found someone was using a assemblage code book. That would be a perfect example but I don't remember which tablet they were using :p

Last edited:

gurgle

Super Moderator
Staff member
Aug 6, 2010
So you are talking about PDFs which have embedded download, music, videos. or do you mean PDFs which can reference PDFs which interface with external code samples, Videos or music.
The embedded video/music does not work with the current Acrobat available for Android. You can access the video, code et al if the files are external but same location with Acrobat for Android. Not sure about other readers.

The Nook color is a good choice if willing to tweak and hack.

ovenwu

Nov 8, 2010
Thanks for suggestion :) I don't mind hacking around as I root every phone I have. The best buy about 15 minutes from here has them in stock.

Ovenwu I sent a sample pdf of cisco ccna 640-802 CCNA: Cisco Certified Network ... - Google Books That is a preview of it on the Google eBook store. I think the sample video I found someone was using a assemblage code book. That would be a perfect example but I don't remember which tablet they were using :p
I had test it,it's pretty support .

tigersgt

Dec 9, 2010
My 2.2 nexus one is a bit lag when reading a 30mb pdf. I am using a class 2 sd card. Do I need a faster one?

troyy0206

Nov 14, 2010
Taking a guess here about formatting of the PDF files. I'm guessing ebooks have no margins or line wrap set or something which allows them to be viewed at different zoom levels and it adjusts for the line breaks/wraps. Most published PDF files are meant for 8.5" x 11" printing and you have zoom in/out and pan left/right/up/down to read them. It's quite annoying and I have the same issue, though I haven't had time to investigate it. Perhaps I should spend some of my time doing that and resolve my issue rather than reading about everyone else' issues on here ;)

legs74

Mar 24, 2011
I have a chinese 8" tablet running Android 2.2. 800 Mhz processor and 512mb RAM. It reads pdf docs no problem. I download to my PC and transfer over via FileLinx to my MID. I do not know if this is helpful. I like the idea of the Nook, but hacking (rooting) the unit may cause complications? The Chinese unit cost me $150.00. they can be found anywhere and now cheaper.

davemiles

Oct 27, 2011
hi im trying to help out a friend getting his tablet to work and i cant figure it out. The green power light comes on and when i press the circle button the screen lights up but i cant see any icons or anything. it only happens for a few seconds and then goes to black. any thoughts? i have had it hooked up to an outlet, then the computer, and im all out of options. any suggesstions?