Need help with root process

necromonger

Dec 16, 2010
Rooting a Nook is a little different from other android devices I have rooted before. I'm getting a really big headache from reading the post over at XDA.. Can someone who has rooted this device please show me/tell me how?

I was following the steps in Auto-Nooter 2.12.18 over at XDA and it looks like they didn't put a propper noob guide. I know how to the the factory reset(power+home+volum up) and got the update 1.0.1 installed. I just cannot get the Auto-Nooter image mounted or restored to the mirco sd. I was using WinImage and it only allows it to be restored to my computer's hard drive.

I may have to return it if I cannot get through this process by today.

Thanks for any help.

rico2001

Dec 8, 2010
I would follow the instructions off the dev site: NookColor Rooting - nookDevs

I used the simple manual way to root, used by people a few days ago and have no experience with the auto nooker. To be honest, I'm not a fan of the auto nooker. I wish the dev site would have left the instructions for both methods.

rico2001

Dec 8, 2010
You may want to try to close WinImage, take out the SD from your pc, remount the SD to pc and restart WinImage.

gadgetrants

Staff member
Sep 22, 2010
I was following the steps in Auto-Nooter 2.12.18 over at XDA and it looks like they didn't put a propper noob guide. I know how to the the factory reset(power+home+volum up) and got the update 1.0.1 installed. I just cannot get the Auto-Nooter image mounted or restored to the mirco sd. I was using WinImage and it only allows it to be restored to my computer's hard drive.
Any chance you can post a screenshot of the drive options in Winimage? I was a little befuddled by it at first. I have a hunch you are not looking at your hard drive, since you have to select that option in the drive dialog in order for it to appear (and if you do, be careful!). The capacity of the drive is what gives it away...since I was using a 4GB SD card, I think it showed up as 4000MB or something like that.

There are several other things to consider. Is the SD card in good shape? What type of card reader are you using? If you have other hardware you can switch around, it may help to figure out where the problem is.

Let us know if you can post a screenshot or two when you run Winimage, and keep us posted!

-Matt

sprung

Dec 20, 2010
Rooting a Nook is a little different from other android devices I have rooted before. I'm getting a really big headache from reading the post over at XDA.. Can someone who has rooted this device please show me/tell me how?

I may have to return it if I cannot get through this process by today.

Thanks for any help.

What are you using to actually putting the microSD card in the computer? My laptop has a multicard reader so I used an adapter that came with the microSD card to insert into my laptop. However, WinImage wouldn't write to it for some reason. Since I also had a USB adapter, I put the microSD card into that and used my USB port, and voila, it showed up and I was able to write to it.

Good luck!

rico2001

Dec 8, 2010
What are you using to actually putting the microSD card in the computer? My laptop has a multicard reader so I used an adapter that came with the microSD card to insert into my laptop. However, WinImage wouldn't write to it for some reason. Since I also had a USB adapter, I put the microSD card into that and used my USB port, and voila, it showed up and I was able to write to it.

Good luck!

I also used a microSD card with a SD adapter in my laptop’s multi-card reader and it worked great. Make sure you don’t have the lock switch on the SD adapter in the “Lock” position. If so, you will not be able to write to the microSD card, for it will be write protected.

csrabear

Dec 25, 2010
I used Autonooter and followed the directions on the NookDevs site. I had no problems rooting; it was easy. However, I did use a dedicated sd card reader/writer as suggested and I had no problem using Winimage. The default device for writing is A: in the dropdown list. Your card reader/writer should show up there as well. I can't recall if any of my hard disks were listed. Reread the directions and follow them step by step and don't rush. You should get it rooted in no time.