Need Help !!!!

code347

Feb 4, 2011
I really understand your frustration and confusion...We all have been through it, hell I was under the impression that the new update locked down the device, but it has changed, and just yesterday there was a moderator post about the z4root working with the new update. This tablet is fairly new and the kinks are being worked out. It changes almost daily, but the answers are here. You should also know that with any of the tablets, or phones, you should look around at various forums to see if you should upgrade. These companies try to lock down their devices all the time, so you have to be diligent in checking to see if the update is going to be an issue.

As far as the different posts about how to root your device...they both work...one is a little more advanced than the other. So to answer the question to the original post is to do the steps I have outlined in my responses, or follow the directions given in the link that was provided, or work through Sue7M3's steps, but they will get you there. We will help you get through the steps you are stuck on.

Have you tried to root the device with the steps given in the guide I linked?

Are you still having problems in the terminal?

If your SU does not turn into # from $, then z4root was not done correctly. You will need to go back and start that process again, and then put on the clockwork mod.

1. Gather all of the programs you are going to need.
2. Attach device via USB
3. Load z4root on your sd card.
4. Install and launch z4root.
5. Root and reboot.
6. Put Clockwork on the sd card
7. Put gapps-passion on the sd card.
8. Install terminal
9. Run commands.
10. ???
11. Profit.

If it does not work, then you should be able to get your hand on the previous image and complete the rooting that way.

jrsharp21

Jan 31, 2011
Everything you need to do to root your Kyros is contained in this --->ALTERNATE (NEWBIE-FRIENDLY) GUIDE FOR ROOTING AND GOOGLE MARKET INSTALL ON WINDOWS - NO SPECIAL DRIVERS OR ADB COMMANDS NEEDED --- post. If you should get stuck during a step, come ask how to get around it. When you do it you will see just how easy it is...

You need to download some software....

z4root [APP] z4root - xda-developers

Recovery.img - Sendspace.com - Download

gapps-passion-EPE54B-signed.zip - Mediafire.com - Download

Follow the directions and you will be set...It does not get any easier.

Thanks Code. I think this is very helpful in putting it all in one place. I think alot of the people are scared to take the leap into trying to root and load the GAPPS with the new update loaded because it is all not in one simple step by step instruction. I am in that boat also. I have a pad and pen in front of me and am reading through the different posts taking notes and it is turning into something that the Autobots or Decepticons may not be able to decipher.

Fieldmouse

Feb 12, 2011
Code347, thank you so much for your reply. You have clarified everything for me, but honestly I think this is just too advanced for me. I don't know what an SU is, I don't understand the # or the $, I don't know how in the world to use "terminal" and yes, I'm a scaredy cat to attempt it. If I had a programmer friend, I would ask him/her, but I don't. I have read some people's machines "hit a brick" or something like that and they can't use them at all and are awaiting something new from Coby to even get them to where they can use them again. I still am not decided if I am going to return it and at this point I'm inclined to. I asked for an iPad for my birthday and just thought if I liked this, it would be a lot cheaper, but I'm inclined to go with the iPad. I'm an iPhone user and it's so incredibly user-friendly. This Coby reminds me of the old PDAs and seems like such a long step backwards. I really do appreciate your help and if I decide for sure to keep it, I may get in touch with you to hold my hand and walk me through it. Scares me to pieces!

code347

Feb 4, 2011
Code347, thank you so much for your reply. You have clarified everything for me, but honestly I think this is just too advanced for me. I don't know what an SU is, I don't understand the # or the $, I don't know how in the world to use "terminal" and yes, I'm a scaredy cat to attempt it. If I had a programmer friend, I would ask him/her, but I don't. I have read some people's machines "hit a brick" or something like that and they can't use them at all and are awaiting something new from Coby to even get them to where they can use them again. I still am not decided if I am going to return it and at this point I'm inclined to. I asked for an iPad for my birthday and just thought if I liked this, it would be a lot cheaper, but I'm inclined to go with the iPad. I'm an iPhone user and it's so incredibly user-friendly. This Coby reminds me of the old PDAs and seems like such a long step backwards. I really do appreciate your help and if I decide for sure to keep it, I may get in touch with you to hold my hand and walk me through it. Scares me to pieces!

In all honesty...if you follow the directions step by step, you will be successful. With that said, I understand the apprehension in doing this, but in terms of rooting the device, the set of instructions I linked to is the easiest and most straight forward, but it still looks like it is a daunting task.

Let me see what I can put together...a sort of step by step guide with pictures, or a video to help you guys out...

jrsharp21

Jan 31, 2011
In all honesty...if you follow the directions step by step, you will be successful. With that said, I understand the apprehension in doing this, but in terms of rooting the device, the set of instructions I linked to is the easiest and most straight forward, but it still looks like it is a daunting task.

Let me see what I can put together...a sort of step by step guide with pictures, or a video to help you guys out...

Video would be awesome!!!! Thanks Code.

Cutty1

Dec 18, 2010
I was Also afraid of doing anything to My Tablet ...as you said I have seen a lot of people brick theirs.
Then when I came upon these forums and read everything in here it became easy when I followed the step by step instructions..
I took my time and made sure I was doing it the right way..
then when I got stuck on the part with the $ and the # I couldn't figure out what I was doing wrong because the $ wasn't changing to the #.
so I did a Search and Found out that I needed to turn my tablet upright to do what i was doing...

Su = Super User....