Need to get tablet to see wifi tether on my android phone.

Phase3d

Dec 8, 2010
Ok, here is my problem. I wanted to be able to use my tablet on the internet anywhere. I was going to use my wireless tether on my android phone, but the tablet doesn't see the wireless from my phone. All my computers, desktops, and laptops see the wireless on my phone just fine, but not the tablet. Does anyone know a way to get the tablet to see the phone wifi? I have heard there is a way to do it, but I haven't been able to locate anything online so far telling you how to do it. Thanks in advance for your help!

Sent from my Droid using Android Tablet Forum App

probbiethe1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jun 30, 2010
Your tablet can't see it because android devices can't connect to adhoc and you might not have known what to search for because there are at least three threads with tethering fixed in this forum search for how to tether phone to tablet and in that thread there are several links to different sites that might work

Sent from my ADR6300 using Android Tablet Forum App

Evoxten

Jan 11, 2011
Ok, here is my problem. I wanted to be able to use my tablet on the internet anywhere. I was going to use my wireless tether on my android phone, but the tablet doesn't see the wireless from my phone. All my computers, desktops, and laptops see the wireless on my phone just fine, but not the tablet. Does anyone know a way to get the tablet to see the phone wifi? I have heard there is a way to do it, but I haven't been able to locate anything online so far telling you how to do it. Thanks in advance for your help!

Sent from my Droid using Android Tablet Forum App

I don't know if you have had any luck yet but,
I have successfully tethered my 7015 and my android phone together and it works great. I rooted my phone and then rooted my tablet the following day. Once you have acheived rooting both then you need to install "wireless tether app" on the phone and search for "gscript.zip" containing the 5 files you need which includes the "wpa_supplicant.conf" file which allows the tablet to find the signal from the phone. I had to edit the "wpa_supplicant.conf" with notepad on my desktop to get it to work on the tablet, but after changing a few lines it works great. Hope this helps!!!

troyy0206

Nov 14, 2010
I have successfully tethered my 7015 and my android phone together and it works great. I rooted my phone and then rooted my tablet the following day. Once you have acheived rooting both then you need to install "wireless tether app" on the phone and search for "gscript.zip" containing the 5 files you need which includes the "wpa_supplicant.conf" file which allows the tablet to find the signal from the phone. I had to edit the "wpa_supplicant.conf" with notepad on my desktop to get it to work on the tablet, but after changing a few lines it works great. Hope this helps!!!

My understanding is you have to have this so that you can connect to EITHER infrastructure wireless OR ad-hoc, and you can't do both without editing the file. Is that correct?

troyy0206

Nov 14, 2010
Why hasn't someone written an app to swap the files back and forth or something to switch between infrastructure and ad-hoc wireless?? I (and I suspect MANY others) would be willing to pay $5 to $10 for such an app. Anyone that can do this and is willing to do so stands to make a ton of money.

Swould333

Aug 5, 2010
THERE IS!!!! ... well sorta...lol

You can use "GScript" or "GScript lite" to store the commands to switch back a forth...

make a back up of the original file so and name it in some way you can distinguish it as the one for in frastructure mode for example "wpa_supplicantwifi.bak" and i'd make another bakup of the original file just in case so you'd have some fall back on. Edit it the first time to allow adhoc conection and call it for example "wpa_supplicantadhoc.bak"... then you can use GScript to rename the currently used file (adhoc or wifi) to the back up and move the one that you want to use to the required file name "wpa_supplicant.conf" ... there's abit more to it than that but you should be able to ge the jist of it... you're just renaming the file to back up and renaming the other file so the system can recognize it... then doing the same but in inverse to the other file to get from one wifi state to the other

once you get it set up Gscript allows you to create homescreen shortcuts to specific scripts... so you could place one script shortcut to go in to adhoc mode and then one to go back to infrastructre mode

I think the issue with someone making an app specific to doing this is that the WPA_Suplicant files are different for diferent platforms and with the different wifi radios that each manufacture uses with each device the only real way to do it is go through the supplicant file find the required variable and edit manually...

SOMEONE PLEASE CORRECT ME IF I'M WRONG HERE......

I haven't actually gotten this tablet yet (on layaway)... but i've read on XDA forum where people have done this simailar on other devices....

once i get it i'll post my files that are specific for the coby and i think i can even export the script commands for Gscript...

More to come......

Last edited:

Delaney64

Dec 27, 2010
I used that link on my Kyros and I can now use my androids wireless tether. You do need to get root explorer though.

Sent from my sdk using Android Tablet Forum App

havic2u

Nov 29, 2010

Evoxten

Jan 11, 2011
As far as I can tell if u place the two shortcuts on the desktop of ur tablet it switches back and forth between normal/adhoc pretty easy.
In any case though "gscript.zip" "rootexplorer" "gscript app" for the tablet and "wireless tether app" for the phone overall is what you need. Easy to do with a little research.
After rooting both of course.

Sent from my sdk using Android Tablet Forum App

Marbieskarb

Feb 2, 2011

I have the Coby 7015 also and I wanted to know if you could share your "wpa_supplicant.conf" file or post the lines you changed?

Thanks.

seaken64

Feb 20, 2011
How I connected my Kyros to my Android phone for on-the-road Internet

When I purchased my Coby Kyros my original intent was to be satisfied with Internet access while at home or at our store, where I have direct access to our Wifi routers. My main use was to read PDF and Excel files while on the road at work.

I read up about rooting the Kyros so I could get the full Google Market. But I wasn't planning on trying to tether my Kyros to my cell phone. After I rooted my Kyros my confidence was up so I decided to read up about how to tether using my Droid Incredible. As it turns out it was pretty easy. Here's what I did:

1. Following instructions I found on droidforums.net I successfully rooted my Droid Incredible using the unrEVOked 3.32 utility.
2. Using the Market I searched for and found a program called “Wireless Tether” and installed it on my Incredible phone.
3. I started the app and then pressed the screen that said “Press to start tethering”
4. I then started up my Kyros and went to “Settings|Wireless & Networks|Wi-Fi Settings” and then “Add Wi-Fi network”. The WAP from the phone was already on the list of available networks. I selected it and the Kyros connected.
5. I began to surf the Internet

That was it. No modifying any files on the Kyros. No shortcuts. I didn't do anything on the Kyros accept to choose the new network connection that was now available on my phone.

I'm not sure how easy it will be for others who do not have a Droid Incredible with Froyo (2.2) but I am glad to report that the Kyros is tethered to the Droid using this one little program – Wireless Tether. Of course, you do need to “root” your phone since this app requires the superuser permission. If you have a phone that you don't want to root it may not be so easy.

Seaken

marcuslee06

Jun 2, 2010
My Kyros 7015 now recognizes the ad hoc network from my D1. But I not able to connect to my D1 ad hoc network. I used stock, wifi buddy, and wifi manager- all apps state that they do not support ad hac networks. Any suggestions.

worm9110

Feb 20, 2011
I have HTC Inspire rooted Android phone with CoreDroid 5.4 ROM on it. I create a wifi-hotspot with WPA2 and am able to connect my Coby to it.