new G-tab (yeah!) - everything force closing

Status
Not open for further replies.

jubigret

Jan 8, 2011
I finally had enough of my APAD screen that I went out and bought the G-tab at Sears today. I really want to love this and can tell I will, but...

Everything that I try to open on the stock is force closing. I want to root this but am not sure what to do.

Should I look for updates before I start any rooting process? (but I can't open a browser)

Is there somewhere other than XDA that I can get the ROM and cwmod files? I don't have any posts over there so I can't download (just lurk I guess).

Fuganater

Staff member
Feb 8, 2011
I am no where near experienced but from what I have read.... You have to do ALL the updates on the G-tab first. The old version is horrible but the new one released late December 2010 fixed almost every issue known.

Just my shot in the dark.

pbrauer

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 24, 2010
Fuga is correct, do the updates first, then it becomes a usuable bit of kit. After that, well a lot of people are saying it is good enough, but I love the flashed versions of either TnT-Harmony or VEGAn.

Either way, good luck and don't give in. It is a fabulous tablet once you get it updated and configured. Haven't used my hideously expensive work laptop since I got this set up.

jubigret

Jan 8, 2011
so... i did the updates, it stopped force closing. and now I am in the middle of installing TnT harmony! have butterflies...

pbrauer

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 24, 2010
don't worry...been there before...you are gonna be fine. So from your sig file I see you have a Droid Inc, same as me, next step for you is going to be rooting your Dinc so that you can set it up as a WiFi hotspot for free and tether via WiFi to your tab. You won't believe how easy and great it works!

jubigret

Jan 8, 2011
and it's rooted! so much better even though I've only had it since this afternoon. The only issue is the stars in the market only show as half. Will have to keep looking into this, but very excited and will now have to go look into rooting the Dinc too :)

pbrauer

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 24, 2010
Fuga - if you follow the checklist that I posted on what to do, not including download time since i don't know what your connection type and speed is, it shouldn't take more than 30 minutes.

Status
Not open for further replies.