New tablet owner, please educate me!

cesiple2

Jun 9, 2011
Hi, I have a Coby Kyros MID7024 coming in the mail hopefully tomorrow. I'm not much of a techie, although my husband can be. I can follow directions pretty well though. This is my first ever tablet, and first ever Android device. I've never even owned an Iphone, or "i" anything. My main uses with this tablet will be for movies, games, and PDA functions.

I keep seeing the phrase "brick my tablet". What does that mean? To make unusable, broken?

Before I receive my tablet, I'd like to have in mind simple things I can do to my Kyros to make it better for me. I'm thinking I will want some sort of Market, above whats already on it. I do like games so... I don't think I want to "brick" my tablet though so I'll need to be pointed in the right direction for that. I've heard of Amazon apps and Android market. I'm a little wary though of ruining it with my inexperience.

My hubby and I like to lie in bed and watch Netflix. So that's definitely something I want to get to work on mine. From what I understand I'll need to download Adobe flash? Is this correct, and is there anything else I need to know about that?

So basically, if you wouldn't mind please point me in the right direction so I can make my tablet good to go for simple movie watching and game playing. OH! And to function as a book reader.

Thank you so much in advance!

Last edited:

Ray50

Apr 24, 2011
Congrats cesiple2 on your new Tablet purchase! I have only had mine 1 week but I will try to answer your questions...others here are very knowledgeable. I also had never seem Android before getting this tablet.

Yes 'brick' means it will no longer boot or function...usually because some system files were deleted or overwritten. You don't normally have access to these files unless you 'root' your tablet. I think it may do what you want without rooting...I have not rooted mine and don't plan to.

The Appslib that comes on the 7024 is not that bad. People often post comments you can read on the apps saying it works well OR doesn't work on the 7024. I don't know how many apps are on there but the web page says 38,000+. You can also download .apk apps from the web (some good links in this forum) and put them on the micro SD card to install. That is how I installed Flash 10.3. The micro SD files will be in a folder called 'extsd'. (I have the 8024 BUT I believe they are the same except for screen size)

The installed Browser works fine on all sites I tried (after flash was installed) BUT I installed Dolphin HD from the Appslib because it has tabs and 'desktop' mode. I like it much better.

Netflix - I don't think there is a good stable working app yet....some have claimed to get it working others can't...

Hulu - Did not work for me and no app yet that I know of....they say one is coming to Android some time soon.

ebook - The install reader (Aldiko) did not seem to want to open the book??? Others had no problems??? I got FBreader from Appslib and it is so simple even I could use it...lol.

Post any question here....lots of helpful people on the forums....and have fun with you new tablet.

Last edited:

cesiple2

Jun 9, 2011
Congrats cesiple2 on your new Tablet purchase! I have only had mine 1 week but I will try to answer your questions...others here are very knowledgeable. I also had never seem Android before getting this tablet.

Yes 'brick' means it will no longer boot or function...usually because some system files were deleted or overwritten. You don't normally have access to these files unless you 'root' your tablet. I think it may do what you want without rooting...I have not rooted mine and don't plan to.

The Appslib that comes on the 7024 is not that bad. People often post comments you can read on the apps saying it works well OR doesn't work on the 7024. I don't know how many apps are on there but the web page says 38,000+. You can also download .apk apps from the web (some good links in this forum) and put them on the micro SD card to install. That is how I installed Flash 10.3. The micro SD files will be in a folder called 'extsd'. (I have the 8024 BUT I believe they are the same except for screen size)

The installed Browser works fine on all sites I tried (after flash was installed) BUT I installed Dolphin HD from the Appslib because it has tabs and 'desktop' mode. I like it much better.

Netflix - I don't think there is a good stable working app yet....some have claimed to get it working others can't...

Hulu - Did not work for me and no app yet that I know of....they say one is coming to Android some time soon.

ebook - The install reader (Aldiko) did not seem to want to open the book??? Others had no problems??? I got FBreader from Appslib and it is so simple even I could use it...lol.

Post any question here....lots of helpful people on the forums....and have fun with you new tablet.

Thanks for your reply!!

Oh, I hope appslib is all I'll need. Does anyone know if I want a particular app from Android Market that is not available on Appslib if I can just download it to my home computer and then transfer it to my tablet?

GoldPimp

May 26, 2011
I have Netflix working perfectly on my Coby Kyros 7024 and it is a very nice app, I have also been able to install Android Market without rooting or any problems what so ever as well. There is no real reason that i have found yet to root the 7024 as it is running Android 2.2 and is able to run the majority of all programs. There will be many programs that are in the Android Market that will not work to perfection or at all on the Coby 7024 due to the lack of multi touch and other hardware limitations of the device. But for the things you have listed to use the device for you should have no problems at all getting your full moneys worth out of it.

Android Market - Android Market Files & Walkthrough
NetFlix - Netflix Apk File

Now i have also had issues with the pre installed Aldiko ebook reader and switched to CoolReader

I hope these links help you along the way to further enjoying your Coby Kyros 7024 ownership as in my mind for the money is the best Android Tablet out there.

Ray50

Apr 24, 2011
GoldPimp - Thanks for the links...got them both!!

cesiple2 - yes you can down load apps to your desktop or laptop computer for your tablet. I put the *.apk file on a micro SD and then just 'Choose' the file using the ES file explorer. It will ask if you want to install it. I guess you could plug the tablet into a PC and move the .apk files directly to the tablet memory...I did do that with some pictures and video files I want to keep in the tablet.

Last edited:

Ray50

Apr 24, 2011
GoldPimp - Finally tried the Netflex.apk and it wants to update before it runs....BUT no updates are found. Is it still working for you?

oops found the update in the Netflix thread...working Great!

Last edited:

cesiple2

Jun 9, 2011
Thanks for all the help! I got netflix working just great (had to find another download link with an updated version) and have been using Applib and Amazon marketplace for all my apps. I downloaded Kindle for android and am good to go. I'm really enjoying my tablet!

CJ_Carol

Jul 12, 2011
I've been trying to install adobe and newer that a newbie. can someone out there give me details on how to downloade adobe flash. I have been learning a lot by reading other posts.

Thanks for your help.

CJ_Carol

Last edited:

wicced247

Jul 23, 2011
You can download an install from here http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=686736

Sent from my Coby Kryos MID7024 not-rooted with 16gb microSD

Last edited: