New to Nook Color !

avi

Staff member
Jan 27, 2011
Hi all. I am completely new to this device I have few queries.

My NookColor is at version 1 itself. And I have not even registered it on B&N.

So I want to
- Root it
- Overclock it
- Install Froyo on it.

here are my queries
1. Shall I register and update to 1.1.0, then root it ? or Install 1.1.0 Pre rooted ? Please show me exact way.

2. I want to overclock it. I am even okay with 950Mhz. But it'll be nice if higher clock also available. But I need to be stable, snappy and good battery back up.
So which one should I go ? 950Mhz ? 1Ghz ? 1.1 Ghz ?

3. Shall I install froyo ? or is it enough to be on 2.1 itself ? Which is good among both, less errors/bugs and snappy ? If froyo, then install to SD Card or to Internal Memory ?

Actually I just want the best combination :)

TIA :D

Last edited:

Stelv

Jan 12, 2011
Rico will prolly give you some more concise info, but I will give you some to get you started.

1. Register, but do not update your nook past 1.0.1. The 1.1 pre rooted is for people with root already. If you update your nook to 1.1 it may be harder to root, and you may have to factory restore it to 1.0 and start over.

2. To overclock you in addition to rooting need to install clockwork recovery. I am running the new 1.1 ghz kernel and all is fine.

3. Froyo may be a little harder to install. I would stay away from that for right now. Get use to rooting, installing clockwork and making a backup before you tinker with 2.2 froyo right now.

If someone doesn't give you the step-by-step, I can give you the instructions for these things later, but am at work right now and cannot dedicate too much time right now.

rico2001

Dec 8, 2010
@avi

Well pretty big question and a little hard to answer. Reason being the android operating system is all about choose and individuality. So with your NC, it's up to you on what you want to do with it. I can only suggest you register your device to b&n (it does no harm), root the NC and then go from there. If you are on software version 1.0.1, I'd use the proper auto-nooter image to root the device. There are plenty of tutorials around here and I suggest you start with the "helpful links and rooting info" thread (see my signature).

About the flash-able froyo 2.2 rom, I'd skip it for now since you are still new to the process and it seems to be as polished as it needs to be at this time.

Basically, I'd take baby steps: reg, root, then if you want install CWR to make a full backup and then explore more riskier areas such as custom roms and kernels.

mwhartman

Jan 28, 2011
Like avi, I'm new to Nook. I plan on purchasing a Nook and rooting. I'm very comfortable working with rooted Android devices. I did a quick read of link in rico's signature. Is CW the only recovery process available or will SPRecovery work?

Mike

avi

Staff member
Jan 27, 2011
Rico will prolly give you some more concise info, but I will give you some to get you started.
Even your reply was helpful, thank you man :)

If someone doesn't give you the step-by-step, I can give you the instructions for these things later, but am at work right now and cannot dedicate too much time right now.
No need, have read all tutorials. From rooting to OC'ing. Just needed a right way :)

There are plenty of tutorials around here and I suggest you start with the "helpful links and rooting info" thread (see my signature).
Read them long ago :D

So here is what I am gonna do :

1. Register with B&N.

2. Root it.

3. Install 1.1.0 Pre rooted.

4. OC to 1.1Ghz kernel.

5. No froyo :p will be good with 2.1 :)

So am I right ?

avi

Staff member
Jan 27, 2011

No need, have read all tutorials. From rooting to OC'ing. Just needed a right way :)

There are plenty of tutorials around here and I suggest you start with the "helpful links and rooting info" thread (see my signature).

1. Register with B&N.

2. Root it.

4. OC to 1.1Ghz kernel.

So am I right ?

Stelv

Jan 12, 2011

1. Register with B&N.

2. Root it.

4. OC to 1.1Ghz kernel.

So am I right ?

Well you missed one step. Before step 3 you need to install clockwork recovery. Its a sticky in nook color technical section. 1.1 pre rooted requires clockwork recovery. You also need clockwork recovery to overclock with kernels. Please ask us if you have any questions at all.

sent from my rooted nook color

Stelv

Jan 12, 2011
Like avi, I'm new to Nook. I plan on purchasing a Nook and rooting. I'm very comfortable working with rooted Android devices. I did a quick read of link in rico's signature. Is CW the only recovery process available or will SPRecovery work?

Mike

Mike, I dont believe we have sp. But it could be a possibility. I don't believe anyone has explored sprecovery or any other alternate recovery yet.

mwhartman

Jan 28, 2011
Mike, I dont believe we have sp. But it could be a possibility. I don't believe anyone has explored sprecovery or any other alternate recovery yet.

I may try to install SPR. I've used it on my Droid for over a year and it is very stable. CW has had issues, from time to time which causes me concern.

Mike

Stelv

Jan 12, 2011
Let us know what you come up with. Yes CWR definitely has some issues. I have experienced a handfull of them on my droid.

avi

Staff member
Jan 27, 2011
Well you missed one step. Before step 3 you need to install clockwork recovery. Its a sticky in nook color technical section. 1.1 pre rooted requires clockwork recovery. You also need clockwork recovery to overclock with kernels. Please ask us if you have any questions at all.
Okay, thank you :)

here I go :
1. Register with B & N and stay on version 1.0.1 itself.

2. Rooting -
From this link NookColor Rooting - nookDevs using auto nooter for 1.0.1

3. Now I as I have rooted, installing CWR from here - http://www.androidtablets.net/forum...m-manager-nandroid-backup-custom-kernels.html

4. Then install 1.1 Pre rooted from here - http://www.androidtablets.net/forum/nook-color-technical/7127-rom-nook-color-v1-1-0-pre-rooted.html

5. Then OC'ing from here - http://www.androidtablets.net/forum...nandroid-backup-custom-kernels.html#post36228
I am gonna use 1.1GHz - kernel-1100mhz-omap3630

Am I right now :)

Stelv

Jan 12, 2011
Okay, thank you :)

here I go :
1. Register with B & N and stay on version 1.0.1 itself.

2. Rooting -
From this link NookColor Rooting - nookDevs using auto nooter for 1.0.1

3. Now I as I have rooted, installing CWR from here - http://www.androidtablets.net/forum...m-manager-nandroid-backup-custom-kernels.html

4. Then install 1.1 Pre rooted from here - http://www.androidtablets.net/forum/nook-color-technical/7127-rom-nook-color-v1-1-0-pre-rooted.html

5. Then OC'ing from here - http://www.androidtablets.net/forum...nandroid-backup-custom-kernels.html#post36228
I am gonna use 1.1GHz - kernel-1100mhz-omap3630

Am I right now :)

Yes I believe that is correct now. Before you root go to nook settings about device to make sure you are on 1.0.1 just to double check. And yes you want the omap kernel. Let us know if you have any questions or problems along the way.

Sent from my Droid

avi

Staff member
Jan 27, 2011
As of now no questions, thank you Steve :)