Newb question- rooting

Lighthouse

Apr 1, 2011
Sorry, but I'm a newb to android. I have several questions.
1. Are there different ways to root?
2. Do all roots download the android market?
3. What is the difference between a bootable Clockwork mod recovery and a not bootable Clockwork mod recovery? Where can I find both?
Thanks a lot!
Lighthouse

LocalStain

Feb 10, 2011
http://www.androidtablets.net/forum...color-now-what-aka-complete-idiots-guide.html Start here, read it at least twice, then go here http://www.androidtablets.net/forum/nook/4302-root-not-root.html read it twice then go here http://www.androidtablets.net/forum...-color-awesome-rooting-ocing-custom-roms.html read it at least three times.

When you have read all of those posts I think your quiestions will be answered. It is essential that you do some leg-work on your own.

I realize that you are noob but all of your questions could be easily answered if you were to do some reading first. We were all noobs once.

This is an incredibly helpful forum but we are not going to do all the heavy lifting for you.

If, after you have read you still have unanswered questions then you can post in the open forum or technical and someone will be glad to help.

Cheers,

LS

Last edited:

revenge8

Feb 10, 2011
3. What is the difference between a bootable Clockwork mod recovery and a not bootable Clockwork mod recovery? Where can I find both?

a bootable CWR is when you create a bootable sd card with CWR on it and place this in the sd slot prior to turning the NC on..when you turn the NC on this will cause the NC to boot directly into CWR and bypass all regular NC booting process.. this is helpful when your stuck in bootloops and you cant get the NC to fully boot up. from here you can restore backups of prior working builds, or install a new ROM. Make sure you take this SD card out after using it so your NC boots up correctly again.

"not bootable" CWR is just the normal CW recovery that you flash from the ROM Manager app.. you can access this by pressing n+power on. From there you can install ROMs and other assorted goodies.

Since ROM Manager updated CWR recently.. you no longer have to use a bootable CWR to install certain ROMs.. but it can still be used if you really fudge something up and need to fix something.

Lighthouse

Apr 1, 2011
ROOTING THE NOOK COLOR
There are a few different methods for rooting the NC, and I have tried most of them. I believe that the autonooter from nookdevs.com is the easiest and most commonly used. It is their method that I will outline here:
This says that there are several methods to root. Do you recommend one?

LocalStain

Feb 10, 2011
This says that there are several methods to root. Do you recommend one?

"I believe the Autonooter from nookdevs.com is the easiest. It is the method that I will outline here" Pretty much says it all...
:rolleyes:not trying to be a smarta** just trying to keep it simple.:rolleyes:
Autonooter is the way to go. Just make sure you have the proper nooter your device's firmware. All the instructions are in the post you quoted.

Stelv

Jan 12, 2011
Yes use the nook devs method with correct auto nooter file. But use a pc if you can. It is much easier than on a mac. I have done it both ways, but Mac way didn't take first time around.

Sent from my fascinate

darmeen

Jan 8, 2011
I am moving this to the general discussion as this is not about technical issues. :)