Next Gen of the Huawei to Have Capacitive Screen

Dec 12, 2010
Sorry for misspelling "Huawei" in the thread title, but after owning the S7 for a few weeks, I can say that the S7 is simply the best "pure" Android tablet currently on the market considering the price, features and easy availability at Best Buy.

First, the tablet comes with the "real" Android Market.

Next, the tablet is fast - very fast. Web browsing and email are considerably faster than my netbook. The optical scroll wheel is fabulous - once you get the hang of it - and it makes the tablet lightning fast when working with email or mobile-formatted web page scrolling. Very cool!

The build quality of the tablet isn't up to Apple standards, but it is close. The metal banded edge with the polycarbonate plastic back is quite attractive and understated. In short, this table is built very well and it is solid - certainly it is much better finished than the Archos 70 and the multitude of Chinese clone tablets out there.

Finally, the tablet is an unlocked GSM phone! You can hardly buy an unlocked Android smartphone for $299 and here we have one, allbeit in tablet form.

Battery life does suck, that is for sure, but really 3 hours of tablet use in a day is a stretch, so it doesn't bother me that much.

And then there's the touch screen - it is very useable but again, not up to the capacitive touch on my Galaxy S or the iPad. That said, it is pretty easy to use and the more you use it, the easier it gets. I used to think that resistive screens were all crap but the 7 has completely changed my mind.

So, for $299...sold by a major retailer...available practically anywhere NOW....includes Android Market, is lightning fast, and is very well made by a major Chinese telecom vendor...well....the Huawei S7 is simply the best choice now for an Android tablet. This may change in a few months, but if you want a tablet today, this is a very smart purchase.

Last edited:

pbrauer

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 24, 2010
Nicely said, and from a new voice.

Sent from my Ideos S7 using Android Tablet Forum App

pbrauer

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 24, 2010
So it looks like it is next gen of the S7 that will have a capacitive screen. Right now I am being told it will be mid-next year likely, and I don't have a price.

Form factor and processor will be similar and no word if it will be 2.2, 2.3 or 3.0.

As soon as I get more info I will share.

Sent from my Ideos S7 using Android Tablet Forum App

LDW

Dec 12, 2010
I'm very eager to buy the Huawei S7 but even though all i want to do is jump into the shop and grab it . I'm going to hold myself back , the only bad thing about the tablet is the Resistive touch screen (in my opinion) and it has strayed me away from the purchase .So what is your experiance with Any resistive touch screens and if you've tryed the S7 can you see a big improvement ?

Muttley

Dec 12, 2010
I have an ipad, an Archos 70 8GB 7" (2.2) both multipoint and a Android Eclair apad 7" (2.1) which is resistive touch screen. It was hard to get used to the resistive screen but it works better with a generic stylus and I am going to get a resistive screen tablet for my parents to stay in touch because it does avoid pressing the wrong icon on a small screen which i tend to do with stubby fingers. AM not sure I prefer it, but I find little difference with these aspects of the devices. If I got the right tablet, it wouldn't be the issue that swayed it for me.

nrage23

Nov 8, 2010
I have the S7 and the screen is very good for a resistive. It is as good as the capacitive on the archos 5IT I had. It is nothing like my EVO though. It is a great tablet for the money.

Sent from my PC36100 using Android Tablet Forum App

Dec 12, 2010
I own the S7 and while it is no iPad or advanced Android smartphone from a capacitive touch perspective, it remains an excellent tablet. The screen is the best resistive screen out there so it is very useable. The unique optical scroll wheel greatly enhances the screen experience, turning the S7 into a hyper fast table when scrolling is required on web pages and docs.

DavidB

Dec 11, 2010
After having tried the nookColor for 2 days (pathetic speaker for playing vids, but a GORGEOUS screen) and played with an iPad for about a half hour (very nice, but just too big for me and too pricey to boot), and after considering the Galaxy Tab (WAY too pricey) and the Viewsonic (yucky screen), I'm extremely happy with the S7. A great 1st tablet!

db

Last edited:

ccohen322

Dec 10, 2010
Sounds awesome. All I want is 5"-7" form factor, FroYo + Flash, capacitive display, and great codec support. Hopefull the next gen Huawei will deliver!

ainyul

Nov 12, 2010
^apparently the Nook color is rooted, so in time will have the dev community contributing a la XDA;
iPad & Galaxy: high priced

S7 needs the dev community to make this a truly capable tablet; unless we get support from HUAWEI or preferably the dev community this tablet will not evolve and will be left in the dust.

Last edited:

rokky

Oct 22, 2010
But will they keep the price down where it is now? I thought using resistive was a big factor in the lower price. Since I prefer resistive anyway (much rather use stylus/fingernail and avoid smudging up the screen and drying out my fingertips as I found with a couple Android phones I gave up on), I have no interest in paying more for a "feature" I do not care for.

cool1100

Dec 7, 2010
I don't mind the resistive screens mostly because fingerprints and smuges drive me crazy, so I perfer to use a stylus anyway. I'm pretty sure if I had capacitve screen I would still use a stylus. I don't like using a small stylus, so I use the large on for the Nintendo DS-XL.

Last edited:

buzzman

Dec 8, 2010
I have a PDN- resistive that works best with a stylus-better control but works with direct pressure from finger tip too. I had no problems with this one.

I have the Hs7- better resistive screen than the PDN. More sensitive. Works best with the edge of fingernail. No pressure is needed. Just the lite touch of a nail.

I also have an iphone- capacitative. The Hs7 is just as sensitive, but needs the nail as opposed to fleshy part of a finger.

LDW

Dec 12, 2010
Thanks everyone for the quick reply . very helpful stuff pretty sure you have secured me buying a great S7 now :D and grow my nails mhm again thanks all for your point of view