No 'Contacts' Widget, but Contacts are in Apps, Nextbook 8, 4.1.1

Aaron2

Jun 9, 2011
This is a strange issue, but the Contacts app in my All Apps is not shown in my apps, nor is there a widget for Contacts. I can access it using the OpenContacts app, and it is syncing with my MS exchange account. There is no app or widget named People.

How can I add a native widget for Contacts for it to display on home screen? I have a few of these to correct.

Any guidance appreciated.

Last edited:

leeshor

Dec 27, 2011
It would seem that it is there somewhere. Is it possible it was disabled in the app manager? Have you rebooted?

PitCarver

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 9, 2014
Check for a "People" app, Aaron. That's how mine show up. There's no widget for mine either, but can be added to the Home Screen with a shortcut.

leeshor

Dec 27, 2011
Actually I didn't think that was the case. In older versions of Android it was called People but was changed to contacts. Did you look in the app manager, under all, at the bottom of the list? Did you try a restart?

PitCarver

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 9, 2014
Last one I can think of would be "Address Book", in the app drawer.

Aaron2

Jun 9, 2011
As I mentioned in my original post, the CONTACTS application IS Present in the All Apps list. There is No Address Book or People listed in the All Apps list. The Play Store app 'OpenContacts' does find and open the native Contacts app. I seriously doubt Android developers would have an app named Contacts and Address Book in the same device, and or use People as a third label in the same device.

(I never imagined this is like creating cold fusion)

PitCarver

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 9, 2014
I don't know, guys. Each of my devices, running JB or KK, show the app as Contacts in the app manager and People in the AppDrawer.
Screenshot_2014-12-02-11-21-29~01.png
Screenshot_2014-12-02-11-30-17~01.png

That being said, I checked several online Next book users guides, and couldn't find anything. I'm stumped
Guess I'll have to continue my cold fusion research...o_O

Aaron2

Jun 9, 2011
To not further dispute my observations of multiple fresh-from-the-box tablets, maybe the quickest path to a solution is to ask: how can one create a shortcut or widget for (from) an installed App?

leeshor

Dec 27, 2011
Any installed app should already have a shortcut in the app drawer. In that section there is also a widget tab. Unless you are rooted you can't locate an app to make a widget or shortcut from.

PitCarver

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 9, 2014
In lieu of an available widget, probably the simplest solution is to install your Open Contacts app to your home screen.
That appears to be the only option available with the Open Contacts app.

Last edited: