no go try to do a return at Best Buy

Shadow71

Nov 22, 2010
So I decided to see what would happen.

I got the S7 on 11/14.
The reciept states that anything after Nov 1st can be returned untill Jan 31, 2011.
This exceptions.

Guess what, they are stating only a 14 days.

jdavis1779

Dec 9, 2010
Was wondering about that. I asked both the sales person and the person in the cellphone department about the return policy and both stated the January date and there would be no restocking fee. The item did not have the usual 14 day return policy seal on it like laptop and the like do and was also not printed on the receipt.

npmt

Dec 6, 2010
The Jan 31st deal is for other products. S7 is 14 days only. Shame on BB. They cannot explain why...

Sent from my Ideos S7 using Tapatalk

ainyul

Nov 12, 2010
Was wondering about that. I asked both the sales person and the person in the cellphone department about the return policy and both stated the January date and there would be no restocking fee. The item did not have the usual 14 day return policy seal on it like laptop and the like do and was also not printed on the receipt.

The Jan 31st deal is for other products. S7 is 14 days only. Shame on BB. They cannot explain why...

Sent from my Ideos S7 using Tapatalk

If your bill clearly states Jan then I would ask to speak to the Manager; no sticker as u said; bill prevails. go back, ask for the manager, dont give up.

feverhost

Super Moderator
Staff member
Nov 26, 2010
If it says "January" definitely talk to a manager.. raise hell if you have to. Whatever it says, they should abide to. I just ordered from Staples and the nice lady told me full return by January 8th, 2011.

KitN

Dec 1, 2010
If your bill clearly states Jan then I would ask to speak to the Manager; no sticker as u said; bill prevails. go back, ask for the manager, dont give up.

Unless otherwise clearly posted at the point of sale, what is written on the receipt prevails. It's the law (here in the US). So speak to a manager and don't leave the store until they accept the return.

Note: A few years back there was a huge commotion about shady return policies of a lot of stores. Consumer protection agencies and State Attorney Generals made it so that return/exchange policies were clearly posted for this very reason: Stores will try to stiff you, charge outrageous and bogus "restocking fees" on items that aren't even opened, etc. There are laws in place now to protect you. Don't be afraid to stand your ground.

brachiopod

Nov 22, 2010
What is strange about it is that BB would not let me use a coupon because they said it wasn't a phone, but now they seem to be saying that it is a phone and you only get 14 days return. Hmmm.

ufxss

Nov 16, 2010
One of the good things about the Cruz Tablet was that I was able to return it at BBUY after 35 days and changed it for a Huawei. No problem and no restocking fee.

The Huawei did not have a 14 days sticker as some laptops and cameras do.

This is what the Web site says:
Holiday Return/Exchange Policy
Gift purchases made between November 1, 2010, and December 24, 2010, qualify for our Holiday Return policy. Qualifying products may be returned through January 31, 2011. In addition, for items purchased between November 1 and December 24, customers will receive free phone and online support for all products through January 31, 2011.

• Terms of our standard policy (including but not limited to "nonreturnable items," "restocking fee," "carrier contracts," etc.) apply.
• Desktop, notebook, netbook, tablet computers, carrier contracts for mobile phones, and other third-party service providers (e.g., DirecTV contracts) do not qualify for the holiday gift policy.
• Geek Squad Black Tie Protection plans returned after 30 days from date of purchase will be refunded at a prorated amount.

Product Exceptions
• Desktop computers
• Notebook computers
• Netbook computers Online orders: 14 days from date merchandise is received

In-store purchases: 14 days from date of purchase
Policy Exceptions
• Purchases made before November 1 or after December 24, 2010
• Non-gift purchases

Nonreturnable Items
Some items are not able to be returned, including:
• Labor and/or installation services
• Consumable items such as phone cards and iTunes prepaid music cards
• Consumable items such as food, drink, and batteries
• Napster gift cards
• Items that have been damaged or abused
• Opened, defective computer software, movies, music and video games — these can be exchanged for the identical item but cannot be returned for a refund

These exceptions are subject to the terms of our standard online return policy.

Reward Zone® program Premier Silver members will still receive their extended 45-day return policy with no restocking fees on all items. Premier Silver members purchasing any gift between November 1 and December 24, 2010, will qualify for an extended return policy until February 7, 2011.

Last edited:

KE4NYV

Dec 5, 2010
One of the good things about the Cruz Tablet was that I was able to return it at BBUY after 35 days and changed it for a Huawei. No problem and no restocking fee.

I did the exact same thing. I was afraid they were going to throw that "restocking fee" crap at me, but the little girl was nice and just swapped them out for me (I paid the difference, of course). No questions asked. She didn't even ask why I was returning it, so I decided to tell her anyways about how lousy it worked for me. She just nodded and smiled. I think she had seen several come back already. Love my S7!

Mozzer

Oct 30, 2010
I stopped buying from best buy after i tried to get a refund on a crappy sansa fuze player that i already returned twice.

jdavis1779

Dec 9, 2010
As of today best buy no longer charges a restocking fee on anything other than special orders. If you paid a restocking fee since the 17th of last month you can go in and get a refund of the charge. You might have to argue the return policy but nowhere on the receipt are tablets listed under the 14 day restock but they are listed in the promotional holiday return policy.
Best Buy Puts An End To Tyrannical Restocking Fees - The Consumerist

chillykim

Dec 13, 2010
I also just returned a Micro Cruz (2nd unit; first one had a bad screen, 2nd one would not keep a charge more than 45 minutes) to BestBuy and picked up the s7 instead. So much happier with it, even tho I've only messed around with it for a few minutes. Charging now.

ScooterG

Dec 19, 2010
Same experience here except the Cruz I had wouldn't stay connected to wifi. S7 is by far the better device.

tae254

Dec 20, 2010
The January does not apply on netbooks, notebooks, or computers. Its not suppose to apply with cell phones either but since best buy mobile has separate policies from best buy, its up to the manager discretion.

lotusflower

Dec 3, 2010
What is strange about it is that BB would not let me use a coupon because they said it wasn't a phone, but now they seem to be saying that it is a phone and you only get 14 days return. Hmmm.

I did use a 10% off coupon which clearly stated for unlocked phones (not regular) and I told the person that technically it is a 7 inch unlocked phone and so got it with discount. have to read and show the fine print withg the correct definition of any device to them, sometimes. You can still do a retro price adjust.