No microphone, but USB Mic or Headset???

markosjal

Aug 30, 2010
Has anyone tested a USB Mic or headset? Maybe one of those cell phone USB headsets? I was thinking of picking up one of these units and was surprised to find NO MIC!

Might be worthwhile if someone has one of these cell phone USB or other headset that they can test with, and post results here.

If there is a possibility of a USB Mic, or USB headset, has anyone had success with a SIP softphone to connect to an Asterisk server?

tipstir

Developer
Aug 4, 2010
I have cell phone head set and it works very well into the 2.5m port. This unit doesn't have Mic it's Euro version called SmartSurfer has everything. AuGen here in the USA has removed mic, cam, hdmi port, the second USB port and some other features. There are some out there trying to see if they can solider on a mic, cam and hdmi port.

markosjal

Aug 30, 2010
if the augen will work with a USB headset. I thank you for the reply, however it does not address my original question.

tipstir

Developer
Aug 4, 2010
Yes I was just saying what you can use with it. You asked about the USB but that feature isn't available for such a purpose yet. Unless they implement in the next ROM that feature. It reads in the manual you use other USB devices with it. Note it does come with 3 different USB connectors for other devices.

You want to use USB headset with Mic to use for Skype and such that feature might be coming just wait it out and see. Right now the USB is use for data transfer and back. You can use other SDK to control the device via USB where you can use the PC as Gentouch78 Emulator with a direct link via again by USB port. Copy/paste apps /install/uninstall/remove apps an etc.

Last edited:

markosjal

Aug 30, 2010
I would be more interested in someone's actual test results. Unless you have disassembled the ROM , how would you know that the limitation is in the ROM?b I get that you are a moderator here, but that does not mean you know it all. Please qualify your answer since you said so surely thsat it is in the ROM>

It seems a USB headset is pretty standard fare these days and I have for instance a miniUSB headset from a Motorola cell phone that I am pretty sure if it were adapted to a desktop PC is a standard USB audio device. I also have a full sized USB headset that I know works with my desktop and laptop PCs on any OS, as I have used the same device on Linux, Mac and PC. In most every case it implies a generic USB audio device driver is used.

A mic is very important and the availability of this model makes it more interesting than taking a gamble on a complete unknown from China, not to mention delivery time. I can surely look at other models , but I know that many issues have been resolved with this highly available model.

If anyone can actually test and post results here, I would appreciate it.

Last edited:

tipstir

Developer
Aug 4, 2010
The specs for this Chip and everything else is available. But you have a good point there. Gome Flytouch has the mic and cam but the CPU is slower for the video. You would need to get the same CPU in the Gentouch 78 Telechip 800MHz. (Runs from 600MHz, 660MHz to 720MHz) Only the AuGen SmartSurfer sold in Europe (Germany) as what you need. It's the same as the Gentouch78 just it has Cam, the Mic, HDMI port etc.

braveit1

Jul 29, 2010
I have a 2.5mm headset with a mic that came from an old phone. While the headset is usefull for listening to the audio the mic does not work for recording. I haven't taken a closer look at the inside of the machine to tell if there are the four connectors needed for a headset and mic.

onihiro

Aug 27, 2010
you all know this in not a FONE it is a tabletPC. yes i know it runs android and that is a foneOS but still if you want a mic/web cam/keyboard get the droid x or a new computer. the gt is used for light web surfing and emails and some game not much more. i got this cuz im a techy and i know wut to do with it. to me this is just a toy and not a way of life.

braveit1

Jul 29, 2010
you all know this in not a FONE it is a tabletPC. yes i know it runs android and that is a foneOS but still if you want a mic/web cam/keyboard get the droid x or a new computer. the gt is used for light web surfing and emails and some game not much more. i got this cuz im a techy and i know wut to do with it. to me this is just a toy and not a way of life.

Why is I not a tablet pda? My 12+ year old Avigo and Handspring had a mic voice recording.

markosjal

Aug 30, 2010
My question is if anyone has TREID a USB (not a 2.5mm mini phone plug) headset. If anyone please has the opportunity to test a USB headset, please post your results and please stop polluting the thread with comments about what "you think" and testing with the 2.5 mm mini phone connector.

I want to know actual TESTS, and yes Android will run SIP clients and they run quite well on some android phones that are much slower. I too am a techie and VoIP is part of what I do. No matter what unit I am looking at there are unanswered questions relating to my needs, so I am starting here with the USB (READ: USB, NOT MINI PHONE) headset TEST question, and not what someone's opinion is.

Tests not speculation

Last edited:

tipstir

Developer
Aug 4, 2010

I have to disagree with your statement above. This is not a toy and none of these Android Tablets are consider a toy. This would be considered a toy for kids. Called a StoryPad.

47755_428136077948_579882948_5081018_2863188_n.jpg

tipstir

Developer
Aug 4, 2010
This is the Euro version of the Gentouch78 called SmartSurfer it has the Mic and Cam in the lower / upper left side
41195_426824727948_579882948_5046854_7571586_n.jpg

This is DAWA D7 version of the Gentouch78 and SmartSurfer this one has the same features of the SmartSurfer but this is the port view
MERI0436-5.jpg

Gentouch78 does not have mic or cam on the unit. You can read more here it may answer your question.

SmartSurfer (Gentouch78)
smartbook_mainboard.jpg

SmartSurfer (Euro aka Gentouch 78) That mobo is the same except for:

1400mAh
WebCam
HDMI Port with 1080p HD
GPS
2x USB 2.0 Ports
Flash Support
Up to 32GB on microSDHC

Note: Wireless ANT is based on WNPU 150MHz 802.11(b,g) 1T/2R Ahteros R6000 which is also in Gentouch 78.

Amtek

Sep 1, 2010
No, it will not work (yet). There is no power from the on-board USB connector so it cannot host any device.

I plugged in two different usb headsets, nothing; two keyboards, nothing; two different usb optical mice, nothing; usb bluetooth dongle, nothing.

USB OTG hosting is simply not enabled yet. Here is hoping that will change soon!