No minimum CPU for 2.3, yayy!!

pbrauer

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 24, 2010
Check this out, happy news! Minimum CPU speed for Android 2.3 Gingerbread? Googlers say no.

From Android engineer Romain Guy on Twitter:
Random note: there's no hard minimum processor requirement for Gingerbread. Trust me, if there were I'd know. ;) (via @morrildl) #android
Twitter via AndroidCentral

gurgle

Super Moderator
Staff member
Aug 6, 2010
Now for the other long wondered question 256 or 512 megabytes. I know there were the rumor boards which said 328 minimum.

pbrauer

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 24, 2010
I have been searching for that info too. The other side of the coin as it were.

Sent from my Ideos S7 using Android Tablet Forum App

xaueious

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 9, 2010
Read here: Android 2.3 has no minimum processor requirement, migration should be less painful for OEMs – Android and Me

I have no clue who came up with the myth that Android 2.3 Gingerbread actually needed a more powerful platform. My take is that you can safely ignore those for a while.

Update: Another Android engineer, Brian Swetland, also weighed in. “Any device that runs well with Froyo should run even better with Gingerbread. The base hardware requirements have not changed. Of course OEM updates do depend on individual OEM efforts, and I can’t speak for the OEMs, but there’s no technical reason devices able to run Froyo shouldn’t be upgradeable. I think the Froyo->Gingerbread migration should be less painful for device developers than Cupcake->Donut or Eclair->Froyo.”

pbrauer

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 24, 2010
So there is a deep dive going on into 2.3 by some of the various chefs over at XDA-Developers, and a couple of them are reporting that 256 Mb RAM is the minimum. 512 is recommended, but not a bottom threshold.

mpit52

Aug 10, 2010
Thats awesome that there is no min CPU requirement. This will hopefully allot a lot of 3rd party tablets to be upgradeable

buyagain

Dec 7, 2010
Newbee here;
I was wondering if certain cheap android tablets like mine can be updated to Gingerbread. Mine is the model FR-809 Android 2.2 MID. Also known as the FS-805T 8 inch.
PS Got mine in the mail yesterday for $200 including shipping and Insurance.

gurgle

Super Moderator
Staff member
Aug 6, 2010
Newbee here;
I was wondering if certain cheap android tablets like mine can be updated to Gingerbread. Mine is the model FR-809 Android 2.2 MID. Also known as the FS-805T 8 inch.
PS Got mine in the mail yesterday for $200 including shipping and Insurance.

You will have to depend upon the manufacturer. As an example comparing Android Phones and Android tablets. It will come on phones before tablets in mass market is my bet.
But if you have a name brand like a Huawei, Archos, or Samsung, an upgrade will be more likely than a lower end unit generic. What is more likely will happen is the manufacturer will release a 2.3 build for a newer tablet and a community firmware cook will discover it is compatible with models x.
Otherwise, you will be better off hoping for compatible Cyanogen build.

pbrauer

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 24, 2010
The answer to that question dependent on a lot of different factors, there are cheap (and expensive) tablets with processors that are outside the mainstream and those that have more common hardware. I believe your Tablet has a Freescale A8 processor, which should be able to handle it.

Joeyqqqb

Oct 16, 2010
so I guess those of us with less than a buck in wallet rock chip 2808-128mb 1.6tablets are left in dust....(my cost $200 six months ago) /sigh ;(