Nook Color General Discussion Thread

xaueious

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 9, 2010
Added a new section for Nook as a brand, so all the Nook information can go in there, including anything for the Nook Color

XDA and mobileread already have a section, so we could be an extension of help for anyone who is looking.

Hopefully this can be useful to many. Probably can use a couple of helpers (moderators). PM Admin and ask. Devs preferred, but if you just happen to have a rooted Nook Color you might already qualify.

DuUeR.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

gadgetrants

Staff member
Sep 22, 2010
Thanks xauieous! I have a feeling this is going to a very competitive device.

-Matt

gadgetrants

Staff member
Sep 22, 2010
I'm pretty sure "boughten" is not a word. I've used it many times but that doesn't make it right!

-Matt

rico2001

Dec 8, 2010
With the NC running Android 2.1, it's kernel is limited to using only 256 mb of it's 512 mb of ram. The fore certain upcoming custom roms will make this fix quite easily to take full advantage of the installed 512mb of ram.

The .29 kernel only supports ma 256mb RAM
the .32 kernel supports the full 512mb RAM.

Last edited:

rico2001

Dec 8, 2010

News: I brought a NC today so I'm now an owner and will try to root mine sometime in the next day or two.

rico2001

Dec 8, 2010
My Nook Color

Nook Color and included package content (booklet, wall and usb charger cable)

Micro USB port

Volume Up/Down buttons

3.5mm Stereo jack

Here are a couple of small videos I took; stock, unrooted and no Angry Birds yet. :) Sorry about the background noise, I was brewing some coffee.

gadgetrants

Staff member
Sep 22, 2010
News: I brought a NC today so I'm now an owner and will try to root mine sometime in the next day or two.
WAIT, NO, how could you do this after our discussion about waiting?!?!??!?!?! :mad: You naughty boy. I sincerely hope you're enjoying it.

Actually, I picked up (another) one today too. :eek: This one is NOT under the tree! I can't decide whether to open it up, or wait for more video from you.

-Matt

rico2001

Dec 8, 2010
I couldn't wait. :)

The NC is very nice so far, well put together device.

One observation: the mico usb port and cable seem to be proprietary, physically my other 2 micro usb cables are the same size but the internal connections of the NC's micro usb is larger than normal specs. This makes connecting to most normal spec micro usb devices and cables difficult if not impossible. :(

On the bright side, I've now rooted my NC. Was a piece of cake.

gadgetrants

Staff member
Sep 22, 2010
Hey, thanks again for the video. Awesome (nice counters, too!)! Regarding the USB: I understood it has a few extra pins to carry a 2000mA charge....which means it should charge by USB port, but SLOOOOOOOOWLY. Supposedly they really want you to use the proprietary cable for charging. But I would have guessed if a standard cable fits, it would work for data transfer....no?

Also, I was going to ask if you tried the super-secret back gesture: swipe your finger right-to-left on the bottom "notification" bar, starting at the time (I'm sure you know what I mean). It's not perfect, but sometimes saves time. After I root, if I don't install SoftKeys, I'm hoping the gesture will still work.

-Matt

rico2001

Dec 8, 2010

Man, this guy has done a lot of work to his NC. I have some ways to go. Hope to have mine looking like this in a week.

rico2001

Dec 8, 2010
Hey, thanks again for the video. Awesome (nice counters, too!)! Regarding the USB: I understood it has a few extra pins to carry a 2000mA charge....which means it should charge by USB port, but SLOOOOOOOOWLY. Supposedly they really want you to use the proprietary cable for charging. But I would have guessed if a standard cable fits, it would work for data transfer....no?

Also, I was going to ask if you tried the super-secret back gesture: swipe your finger right-to-left on the bottom "notification" bar, starting at the time (I'm sure you know what I mean). It's not perfect, but sometimes saves time. After I root, if I don't install SoftKeys, I'm hoping the gesture will still work.

-Matt

Yes you are correct, it's internal is wide to carry more amperage. The NC plug is pulling .5 to 1.9 amps, compared to my EVO and most phones .5 to 1.0 amps. Other micro usb plugs don't fit, well the other 2 I've treid. Sorry I wasn't clear on that fact in last post. Small bummer, since I wanted to use my car chargers on the NC. Guess we will have to overpay for an authorized NC cords and car chargers.

gadgetrants

Staff member
Sep 22, 2010
Very nice! First impressions:

(1) Did he say GPS???? Bad boy...
(2) What was that weather widget??? WANT IT!!!
(3) *Sigh* Why does EVERYONE think Angry Birds is the premier Android game? :p
(4) Did you know you can pinch-zoom in Angry Birds? That way you can see your bird and the target/pigs at the same time!
(5) Interesting...he hacked the volume keys. I ended up not liking that solution on the Pandigital Novel. Always freaked me out when I went from the PDN to the Droid.
(6) Wow the pool game looks tight!

-Matt

gadgetrants

Staff member
Sep 22, 2010
Yes you are correct, it's internal is wide to carry more amperage. The NC plug is pulling .5 to 1.9 amps, compared to my EVO and most phones .5 to 1.0 amps. Other micro usb plugs don't fit, well the other 2 I've treid. Sorry I wasn't clear on that fact in last post. Small bummer, since I wanted to use my car chargers on the NC. Guess we will have to overpay for an authorized NC cords and car chargers.
Hmmm, that's a bummer. I was so thrilled to see my wife's Droid Eris uses a funky-shaped microUSB cable, but it happily accepts a conventional cable. I wish they hadn't done that with the NC!

-Matt