Nook Color getting Android 2.2 and market next month?

rico2001

Dec 8, 2010
Nook Color getting Android 2.2 next month? | Crave - CNET

Engadget posted a story today about the Nook Color titled, "Nook Color getting Android 2.2 and Market in January, current hacks could make it blow up." The title is certainly catchy (whenever you write about mobile products blowing up, the traffic tends to go through the roof), but we were a little concerned with some info in the post.
After talking about the potential hazards of hacking the Nook Color to run Android 2.2 and linking to PC World and nookdevs articles, the writer went on to say, "Thankfully, there is a much easier way coming, with Barnes & Noble confirming that Android 2.2 will be officially coming to the Nook Color in January. Yes, Android 2.3 is what's happening, but this is still an exciting upgrade as it will finally also allow access to a traditional Android home screen and eve...

Nice, hopefully custom roms to follow.

Update: Okay, cancel that order for an asbestos carrying case. One of the developers of the Nook Color root wrote in to let us know that there is a secondary temperature monitor which should keep things below the ignition point. Hack away -- or just wait a month.

Last edited:

Darkseider

Oct 19, 2010
Hmm... interesting. Hopefully not just rumor. If so this could arguably become the best selling Android tablet out there.

rico2001

Dec 8, 2010
Nook Color Getting Android 2.2 Treatment in January | Smartphone & Pocket PC magazine

I spoke today with a Barnes & Noble representative who showed me the forthcoming update on his company Nook which is slated for this January. The 2.2 Android update is a game changer and literally turns the e-reader into a near full Android tablet device.

The 2.2 update, or overhaul if you prefer, will give you access to a retooled Android Market, the typical Android home screen and even has pinch zooming with the browser. The Android Market app was still under development and was not on the device to see. I was told that Nook users may not have access to the full market. The Nook I looked at had apps loaded via the SD card slot and seemed to run fine. The device will still give you access to all of your Nook material via the current interface that will be swicthable for the user.

The update addresses performance and battery life concerns according to the rep I spoke to. The update on his Nook was still in beta so it lacked some polish but seemed to work smoother than the stock device. The graphics performance still seemed sluggish even with 2.2 when scrolling through magazines and web pages.

The best news is that Nook Color owners will be able to use their new Nooks as a full tablet device that rivals any other Android tablet currently in the consumer arena. Even iPad users may turn envious at the smaller form factor and $249 purchase price.

rico2001

Dec 8, 2010
Nook Color - Nook Color might not support Android Market

Barnes & Noble did touch on the Nook Color's Android 2.2 update, saying that it will still run off a curated app model for the e-reader, where Barnes & Noble will be the authority that filters what kind of apps are allowed. There will be no formal updates that will be made public in time for January 2011, and we do know that this update will see similar features introduced in Android 2.2 that are made available on a non-Google Experience device. You will be able to enjoy an improved browser with multi-touch and wider support for voice commands, although don't expect to play Angry Birds on it officially since it is highly unlikely that the Android Market will be supported. Yes, we feel it to. Bummer!

gadgetrants

Staff member
Sep 22, 2010
I'm still processing this, and not sure I understand (call me Mr. ThickSkull).

- Is it "happening" in January? Not sure what "There will be no formal updates that will be made public in time for January 2011" means.
- Is it a concern that B&N is limiting the UI? Any reason it won't be rooted/modded like the 2.1 version?
- What does "don't expect to play Angry Birds on it officially since it is highly unlikely that the Android Market will be supported" mean? Is this for users who keep it stock?

-Matt

rico2001

Dec 8, 2010
I'm still processing this, and not sure I understand (call me Mr. ThickSkull).

- Is it "happening" in January? Not sure what "There will be no formal updates that will be made public in time for January 2011" means.
- Is it a concern that B&N is limiting the UI? Any reason it won't be rooted/modded like the 2.1 version?
- What does "don't expect to play Angry Birds on it officially since it is highly unlikely that the Android Market will be supported" mean? Is this for users who keep it stock?

-Matt

I wouldn’t over analyze it at this point, still too early in the game to make heads or tails about yesterday’s news. The only thing that we are certain of at this time is the 2.1 SDK was released to dev so if nothing else, hackers, rooters and novice custom rom users will be covered. And if 2.1 was released, most certainly the 2.2 upgrade will be as well.

More on rumor: I heard that B&N may limit what apps you can see or install on their modified market application. So that may be were the “no angry birds” statement is coming from.

Last edited:

Maybe iPad

Dec 23, 2010
Can the current Nook Color be upgraded to 2.2 through a software upgrade? Or will it be necessary to buy a whole new Nook Color with 2.2 already installed?

gadgetrants

Staff member
Sep 22, 2010
Can the current Nook Color be upgraded to 2.2 through a software upgrade? Or will it be necessary to buy a whole new Nook Color with 2.2 already installed?
Maybe iPad?!?!?!?!?!? You troll, you... :p

OK, serious answer: B&N has announced that they are planning to "update" the NC in 2011. Most of us are reading that as Android 2.2. This will be on the current device, so no need to buy another. At least not until late 2012. :D

Barnes & Noble confirms Android 2.2 update for Nook Color (updated) | ZDNet

If you own a Nook Color, don’t bother with the hacker’s version of Android 2.2. An official taste of Froyo is headed for this e-book reader in the new year.
According to Engadget, Barnes & Noble has confirmed an official Android 2.2 update for the colorized e-book reader that will drop in January. That includes access to the Android Market and a regular Android home screen.
So if you want an Android tablet on the cheap side of things (and one that isn’t completely unreliable), look no further than this slate.
UPDATE: Looks like that confirmation wasn’t really a confirmation after all. There will be an update, but just probably not in January. Here’s the statement from a B&N PR rep:
B&N plans to update the OS sometime in 2011. Regarding applications, we are committed to the NOOKdeveloper program and on track to add apps to our store in early 2011, but do not have plans enable Android Marketplace at this time.
Welcome to the forum!

-Matt

Maybe iPad

Dec 23, 2010
Thanks. Was thinking of buying one for the better half. Have iPad, but it has its own issues, not the least of which is its weight (at least for me).

gadgetrants

Staff member
Sep 22, 2010
I think other forum members may boo and hiss, but I'm pretty happy with the NC running 2.1. There's not much else I'd want to do with it, that it can't already do. The only obvious option that comes to mind is play Flash games, which I assume will happen with 2.2.

But if you don't mind doing some very mild work under the hood--e.g., open a command shell on a Windows machine and copy/paste some simple instructions--it's a very easy device to modify. If you haven't been to B&N or BestBuy (or now, Walmart) and played for a bit, I strongly recommend it!

-Matt

pbrauer

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 24, 2010
I got one for my daughter, solid little unit. Add a cam and mic and it is a total killer.