Nook Color Root Variations Summary?

RpD

Jan 4, 2011
Hi, all... is there a post anywhere which gives a brief summary of the various means of rooting various versions of OS incarnations on the Nook Color? I mean a simple list, with the major caveats of each.
If not... would someone kindly create a 'sticky' of same? (Like "NC rooting choices, START HERE" ...preferably the first/second in topics list.)
I would prefer a fairly -simple- summary... ultimately one that was updated regularly (again, just simply) as versions change.

I have an NC 1.1 autonooted now... waiting on autonoot for NC v1.2 ...but tempted by the manual nooting. Tempted by SD-based versions... and... dual boots. I did do the original root manually (yes, I am a 'tech', not a newbie, but not specialized in this area.)

Anyway... it would be nice to have a reference point where one could review the various incarnations and decide which to try/use... starting with update/notes on stock versions. Such a summary could be a good starting place for the newb and techs alike... esp. if updated with (links?) basic major news of the incarnations. Just suggesting a single helpful start guide/news pointer... not a pointer to various sites/forums/subforums to have to search.

For example... autonooting eclair, froyo; honeycomb; SD booting; dualboot; CM7; phiremod; etc/whatever.

If one wanted to be industrious, then (link) latest news in enabling the basic hardware too... like bluetooth news, FM radio, overclocks, whatever.

Maybe that's a whole wiki page, but... only as complicated as someone chooses to make this... there's so many software variations and the hardware developments to keep up with... people could use a basic primer/summary/directory from which to start... and to keep up with news. (Or a good set of bookmarks?)

If there's a good single source already, point me to it... (meaning -not- an entire website/forum).
If the major posters/moderators want to post brief replies to this post, each summarizing a single variation, maybe that would suffice for now.
I'd almost be tempted to make up such a -simple- summary/page, if I knew the best sources.

For my NC v1.1, I have quite a few apps loaded, overclocked, with Titanium and Astro backups... with a 32GB SD. I expect I'll have to wipe the NC back to factory, update to 1.2 and then choose a new root... autonoot? CM7? ...perhaps with other versions on SD card (play with Honeycomb)?
Knowing a good backup, that works, and how to restore to an updated root... and finding how to update an existing root to the next are important topics also.
With the last autonoot that I have now, I can switch to B&N stock apps easily... like to have that option, but I also want a fairly full featured stable workaday root... eventually with bluetooth and FM as they're enabled ...especially if I can get a bluetooth webcam/mike going with Skype ;). But not all the roots have the same working features/functions, right?
Thanks for listening.

RaVenJ

Jan 24, 2011
CM7, and that's all you need to know.. Either use plain CM7 or one of the major flavors of CM7 (Phiremod or Ultimate Droid).. Either of those three, you're golden. Autonooters are ok if you want to maintain the stock NC function, but they fall short when it comes to a lot of market apps.

Oh, and one thing I've noticed about a lot of posts around here lately.. People keep saying "I've updated to 1.2, now I'm ready to use CM7" or something to that effect. Well, going to CM7 -- or any ROM you flash from Clockwork -- 100% wipes the stock ROM and rebuilds everything from the ground up, so your effort of upgrading to 1.2 is pointless.

pustyak

May 10, 2011
I was just going to start this thread, but it seems that RpD beat me to it. So I will add on some questions about what I would like to know. Today I bit the bullet and bought a Nook Color because I thought that it's an excellent value and just the size that I need.
I am a complete noob to Android in general and Android on a Nook in particular. So I'm not looking for extremely technical explanations, but rather explanations in what it will mean for me, the user and why. I do not have the time nor the will to try out a lot of various incarnations just to find the one that I like best.

Could somebody explain exactly what the difference between Phiremod 6.x and CM7.x is? I mean, I realize that Phiremod is built around CM7, but how do they differ? Get ready, here are my questions in more detail:

- What does Phiremod 6+ offer more than just Cyanogen Mod 7+?

- What, if anything, does CyanogenMod 7 offer more than Phiremode?

- In what circumstances would one choose Phiremod over straight CM and vice-versa?

- Has the battery drainage problem in sleep mode been fixed? (I've heard this issue talked about A LOT.)

- Are there other Gingerbread incarnations for the Nook besides PM and CM?

- Could someone please post some screenshots that illustrate the differences?

I would also consider running a stable incarnation of Honeycomb that runs reasonably fast on the Nook. I mention this because I heard talk of HC on the Nook. Does it exist, and is it stable? If it exists and is stable, why don't people flock to it as being the tablet edition of Android?

I'm sorry for asking all these questions, but they are important for me to have answered before I go and root my Nook. I also think that it will help other noobs out there get the lay of the land.

Thanks in advance for any help you can give!

RpD

Jan 4, 2011
Pustyak, thanks for the 'support' ;)

RavenJ, (being a senior member)... for myself, thanks for that absolute recommendation (so I'll go check CM7 out... still, as you say, there are derivatives of that to sort out :)... and, thanks to Pustyak, I kinda 'rest my case' ;):
It would just be nice to have a basic summary of the various incarnations.
Nook Color Eclair 2.1, Froyo 2.2, Gingerbread 2.3, Honeycomb 3.x ... autonoot, SD boot, dual-boot... CM7/derivatives... and how well they're implemented... besides the hardware enabling development... and non-functional issues for each incarnation. A lot of news, a lot of guides, a lot of confusion for anyone trying to sort them out... besides wondering why not Honeycomb (latest, but not so greatest? implementation on NC).

But yes, I'm interested in hanging on to a way to boot stock... even if I run CM7 internal and... boot stock off SD card (for which I just saw a guide somewhere). So... I'd think it does make sense to wipe/update to 1.2, if you want to then save it to SD so you can boot stock off SD (or dualboot it somehow; now I have to go see what Android/NC 'dual boot' can do). Then put CM7 internal.
Thx

Last edited:

J515OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2011
For example... autonooting eclair, froyo; honeycomb; SD booting; dualboot; CM7; phiremod; etc/whatever.

If one wanted to be industrious, then (link) latest news in enabling the basic hardware too... like bluetooth news, FM radio, overclocks, whatever.

Maybe that's a whole wiki page, but... only as complicated as someone chooses to make this... there's so many software variations and the hardware developments to keep up with... people could use a basic primer/summary/directory from which to start... and to keep up with news. (Or a good set of bookmarks?)

Hi RpD, I don't want to be a bummer but what you are asking is not simple. There are so many versions and they move so rapidly it is almost impossible to keep up unless you go directly to the developers website on some of these (also usually there is a chang log in the first post for each major OS thread here). We have dedicated threads to the major builds just for that reason. I hate to say it becuase you asked so politely but using the search function is your friend. The basics of each major version of OS you can run hase been laid out already in several threads, from B&N 1.0 running Android 2.1 to demo versions of honeycomb running Android 3.0 and everythning in between.

For the most part the major differences are that autonootering B&N versions leaves the Nook features like magazines available while custom ROMs remove them but enable bluetooth. Honeycomb only works as a preview.

JP

J515OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2011
I was just going to start this thread, but it seems that RpD beat me to it. So I will add on some questions about what I would like to know. Today I bit the bullet and bought a Nook Color because I thought that it's an excellent value and just the size that I need.
I am a complete noob to Android in general and Android on a Nook in particular. So I'm not looking for extremely technical explanations, but rather explanations in what it will mean for me, the user and why. I do not have the time nor the will to try out a lot of various incarnations just to find the one that I like best.

Could somebody explain exactly what the difference between Phiremod 6.x and CM7.x is? I mean, I realize that Phiremod is built around CM7, but how do they differ? Get ready, here are my questions in more detail:

- What does Phiremod 6+ offer more than just Cyanogen Mod 7+?

- What, if anything, does CyanogenMod 7 offer more than Phiremode?

- In what circumstances would one choose Phiremod over straight CM and vice-versa?

- Has the battery drainage problem in sleep mode been fixed? (I've heard this issue talked about A LOT.)

- Are there other Gingerbread incarnations for the Nook besides PM and CM?

- Could someone please post some screenshots that illustrate the differences?

I would also consider running a stable incarnation of Honeycomb that runs reasonably fast on the Nook. I mention this because I heard talk of HC on the Nook. Does it exist, and is it stable? If it exists and is stable, why don't people flock to it as being the tablet edition of Android?

I'm sorry for asking all these questions, but they are important for me to have answered before I go and root my Nook. I also think that it will help other noobs out there get the lay of the land.

Thanks in advance for any help you can give!

Hi psutyak, your answer is sort of the same as RpD you need to read the thread of the OS you are looking at for specific details. The question has already been asked about the differences between phiremod and ultimate droid and the answers in the thread appears to be not much. Since they are both built off CM7 not much difference there either. the biggest differences are all personal preference issues.

Some have a certain theme and launcher preinstalled and others have a different one. You could choose a home launcher and theme in UD that would make it look just like phiremod though if you wanted to. It seems the only significant differences might be in the implementation of wifi but the gaps between them are closing quickly.

So I believe the answer to most of your questions is simply one of personal preference and the only way you will be able to decide between which to use is to try them. From what I have read of most people's experience is that they don't see much of a difference between one or the other and that they end up using the one with the latest build that has solved whatever deficiencies they noticed in the others (which also get updated and the cycle continues in leap frog fashion).

Gingerbread builds (2.3) are CM7, Phiremod and UltimateDroid.
Screen shots will not reveal any reall differences as they will only reveal the differences in user preference and setup not operation.
Honeycomb is just a demo and not stable or ready for daily use (though there is a newer versionin the works with that goal), that is why nobody is really using it.

AnimaTechnica

Nov 4, 2010
well first of all let's clear some misconceptions

Rooting - his mean unlocking your current OS (for lack of a batter word) so you can access the hidden parts of the barnes and noble interface - this means being able to use Android Market, google apps and other 3rd party apps that are currently invisible to stock BN - the most common tool used to root is Autonooter

so when someone is talking about rooting, this is understood to be unlocking stock Barnes and Noble - this is NOT the same as installing a new custom ROM like CM7

Custom ROM - this is a completely new OS that replaces the Barnes and Noble one that not only gives you the android benefits mentioned above but also the ability to play flash videos, use bluetooth, fully customize your nook

currently the leading custom ROM is called CM7 - you can install this by itself and get an excellent experience with it (this is what i am using) - now a few developers added their own customizations on top of CM7 and these take the form of Phiremod and/or Ultimate Droid - you can install either of these as well (no need to install CM7 first as it is included in the files for these)

You can install CM7 or its derivatives on top of Stock Barnes and Noble - no need to root first as you are completely replacing the OS anyway.

as for whether Phiremod is better than Ultimate Droid or better than vanilla CM7 - it is a matter of preference really and yes you must read for your self what is included in each and whether that sounds like it'll suit your purposes. I opted for stock CM7 because i wanted my own customization to add to it

Hi psutyak, your answer is sort of the same as RpD you need to read the thread of the OS you are looking at for specific details. The question has already been asked about the differences between phiremod and ultimate droid and the answers in the thread appears to be not much. Since they are both built off CM7 not much difference there either. the biggest differences are all personal preference issues.

Some have a certain theme and launcher preinstalled and others have a different one. You could choose a home launcher and theme in UD that would make it look just like phiremod though if you wanted to. It seems the only significant differences might be in the implementation of wifi but the gaps between them are closing quickly.

So I believe the answer to most of your questions is simply one of personal preference and the only way you will be able to decide between which to use is to try them. From what I have read of most people's experience is that they don't see much of a difference between one or the other and that they end up using the one with the latest build that has solved whatever deficiencies they noticed in the others (which also get updated and the cycle continues in leap frog fashion).

Gingerbread builds (2.3) are CM7, Phiremod and UltimateDroid.
Screen shots will not reveal any reall differences as they will only reveal the differences in user preference and setup not operation.
Honeycomb is just a demo and not stable or ready for daily use (though there is a newer versionin the works with that goal), that is why nobody is really using it.

Last edited:

J515OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2011

pustyak

May 10, 2011
Thanks! You really clarified a number of things. Except one:

I opted for stock CM7 because i wanted my own customization to add to it

Could you elaborate a little more on this statement? What do you mean by customization? I understand that phiremod and ultimatedroid are customizations of CM7 among other things, but if I were to go with say, phiremod, I couldn't customize it?

AnimaTechnica

Nov 4, 2010
you can very well customize phiremod or UD but i wanted to use my own launcher, clock,weather widgets etc. and did not need the launchers/widgets provided by the other custom ROMs so it was so much easier to load C7& vanilla and modify from there rather than getting the other ones, removing what they install and adding my own.

I use Regina 3D launcher a 3D carousel type home launcher

Could you elaborate a little more on this statement? What do you mean by customization? I understand that phiremod and ultimatedroid are customizations of CM7 among other things, but if I were to go with say, phiremod, I couldn't customize it?

pustyak

May 10, 2011
you can very well customize phiremod or UD but i wanted to use my own launcher, clock,weather widgets etc. and did not need the launchers/widgets provided by the other custom ROMs so it was so much easier to load C7& vanilla and modify from there rather than getting the other ones, removing what they install and adding my own.

I use Regina 3D launcher a 3D carousel type home launcher

Great, thanks, that clarifies everything. I've never heard of the Regina 3D launcher. Sounds cool. I'll have to look into it.

J515OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2011

You can, but it comes with their built in preferences such as which home launcher, default column and row number, browser, themes, wallpapers and whatever else. You can certainly go in and modify most anything but sometimes the details like the typ of notification bar or location or info displayed might not be editable.

pustyak

May 10, 2011
You can, but it comes with their built in preferences such as which home launcher, default column and row number, browser, themes, wallpapers and whatever else. You can certainly go in and modify most anything but sometimes the details like the typ of notification bar or location or info displayed might not be editable.

Yeah and that's what I need to decide. I really don't have the time right now to play around with configuring from the ground up. It would be nice to just have a system already set up that I can tweak. But that Regina 3D launcher does look good. If I am not mistaken, I can simply replace the default launcher with this one even if I go with something like phiremod or ultimatedroid.

I've sort of moved on to other issues since it appears that the incarnation I was leaning towards (phiremod) has problems with WiFi connections (read on a sticky) and also all of these which are built on CM7 apparently have a problem with sleep power drainage which might have been solved in a nightly, but not in the latest stable build (I gather, but am not sure). This might mean that I will stay with just autonooting until these problems are ironed out.

J515OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2011
pustyak, the phiremod wifi issue is up in the air as to if it is an issue or not at this point but CM7 and UD are both working without any major issues to my knowledge. Go ahead and try them out, you have nothing to lose. All three are really nice ROMs and once most people try one out there is no going back to autonootered, any issues they have are really very minor compared to their features and for the most part people are just nit picking at this point.

No need to get all crazy customizing if you don't have time, all will work out of the gate. Any of them will give you a good base and yes you can choose a different home launcher which will change the feel of the desktop. Right now I have been using VTL which you can find in the Apps section of this forum and have been pleased. It basically gives you three dock bars (left, right and bottom) to add and launch apps from leaving the desptop clean or open for widgets.

JP