Nook Color rooted, missing /system/apps/

dom

Jan 17, 2011
New to android forum.
I just rooted my Nook Color. I like the results. However some apps require accessing the /system/apps folder. They are no longer on my Nook. Any insights. Thank you.
Dom

thel8elvis

Dec 29, 2010
New to android forum.
I just rooted my Nook Color. I like the results. However some apps require accessing the /system/apps folder. They are no longer on my Nook. Any insights. Thank you.
Dom

Your nook no longer has a /system/apps folder ? I assure you , it does. Perhaps you can add some more details to your problem ?

dom

Jan 17, 2011
thank you for replying, was out of state for some days and couldn't reply.
I am really new to Nook & rooting etc. I am not sure what superuser does, I'll check it our now.
Right now I am not using any file manager. I am sticking to freeware until I get this down pat.
[pause] Just installed Astro File Manager (free) And OK I see System/apps.
Most of my "computer using life" has been with windows. A few months I moved to Mac. Just got a nook for christmas and dared myself to root it. I like to take calculated risks, but android is very new to me. I need to find some explanations in
layman language, I do great with YouTube tuts. Now I need the "nextr step"
Thanks again
Dom

dom

Jan 17, 2011
I just installed a file manager. Sure enough, like you said it's there.
Thanks for replying. I got to play with the rooted nook to figure out what is the next step I need to ask about.
Dom

gadgetrants

Staff member
Sep 22, 2010
Dom, glad to see things are working out. Here's a quick bit of info: "Superuser" gives you two things: first, it allows you to view the entire folder system, all the way up to the highest node (folder) in the directory tree, which is the "root". The other thing that Superuser allows is the ability to change read/write permissions on folders and files. So you could--if you wanted to--go into a system folder and edit, add, or remove a file. Normally, that is blocked or prevented for the normal user.

The reason why su (Superuser) is so important with a rooted Nook is it allows various apps to access or modify system files as needed. An example of this might be a program that modifies your CPU speed, or allows you to add a new keyboard.

I love Astro and use it a lot, but the good news is while you can roam around and look at system folders, you can't modify them with Astro. :) But obviously be careful while you're exploring!

-Matt

chad7472

Mar 17, 2011
I just installed a file manager. Sure enough, like you said it's there.
Thanks for replying. I got to play with the rooted nook to figure out what is the next step I need to ask about.
Dom

I think Root Explorer is the best of the bunch. It costs several bucks, but definitely worth it as it provides functionality that ADB would otherwise provide, without all the hassle.