Nook Color vs eLocity A7

JackOnan

Nov 18, 2010
OK, just a little more gloating: there is a frustrated A7 owner at Amazon (actually, now two), complaining to eLocity that he can't sideload Angry Birds (WHAT IS IT with that game???). I am curious why it sideloads no problem on the (rooted) NC, but not the A7. Obviously it's apples and oranges, but is it because the A7 is locked down?

Well, I think it's inevitable that the dev community will root it (before 2011?) and begin installing Android as it was meant to be experienced. And then we'll have a fair fight.

-Matt

Hah! NO ANGRY BIRDS FOR YOU! :)
Yeah, its probably cuz its not rooted.

And you are right that they(the dev comm) will root it before 2011, maybe before Christmas.

xaueious

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 9, 2010
Opps I missed this thread before I posted the news article. Would have saved me some brain cycles because I mirror many of the thoughts in this thread.

The screen alone makes me want the Nook Color over the A7. It isn't that the A7 is not powerful, but there are not a lot of applications that would take full advantage of the Tegra 2 right now, especially with Android 2.2. The A7 also does USB hosting, but the NC has wireless N. At 7", I didn't find a do not find a huge desire to get a keyboard. Typing on a 7" capacitive multitouch screen isn't actually that bad. Or else I'll just go bluetooth.

I did read somewhere on xda about how the NC screen can register up to 10 touchpoints hardware side http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?p=9738650 for anyone wondering if the NC has full multitouch. All it takes is some pokey pokey from the dev community, which looks like it will happen.

A7 is missing USB slave too. It is turning out to be a weird device of sorts.

rico2001

Dec 8, 2010
A nice quote about the A7 and NC from h8rift on xda

We're still off-topic...but while we're in this ditch...

I owned a G tablet for 2 weeks. Loved it. Absolutely friggin loved it. Bought the USB keyboard + executive book style case and it was nice.....then the viewing angles started bothering me....and the fact that Viewsonic used to make good monitors and they put a netbook screen in the GTab...poorly. I think it was a sign. I took it back and bought a NookColor. Holy mother of god the screen on this thing is much better.

Dual core procs won't truly be leveraged for at least a few months. Assuming HoneyComb is released in Feb/Mar....based on the timetables of getting through manufacturer / carrier (in this case, just manufacturer) we won't see honeycomb on a non-google-branded device until next summer.

In the mean time, I will have easily gotten 250.00 worth of use out of my NC...and then I can either move to another tablet...or take advantage of what custom roms (I'm sure OC and Custom Roms will start popping up once CWM is available for the NC) make it a solid machine.

I dunno...its honestly a personal decision. There is not a right or wrong choice on this one. I just chose to go with the NC.

</soapbox>

Thanks,
-h8

rc748

Feb 4, 2011
Bought one of these and I think they are pretty good for the money paid. I did have a hard time finding a case for it. However, found a small company that makes a pretty good sleeve for this unit and sells them for only $8.95 with free freight at Nuvo-Tek.com.
By the same token, if anyone knows of where I can buy a case (not a sleeve) that is a good fit for this eLocity unit, please let me know.
Thanks

BJ's is offering the A7 for $299 until Dec 17 so I think its worth discussing if the A7 is worth the extra $50 over the Nook Color. Note that tax and shipping charges may increase that $50 difference to $80 or more.

A7 Advantages:
Tegra 2 CPU @ 1GHz
HDMI out
Mic, camera
USB Port
Front buttons
Android 2.2 already installed and open

Nook Color Advantages:
Higer resolution IPS screen (could be a disadvantage for some apps)
Multi-touch vs A7 1 Point touch/Gestures
8GB of storage built in vs only 4GB on the A7
Possibly better support

I think the lack of true multi-touch really kills an otherwise perfect device, which is why I'm sticking with my Nook Color.
Please post your thoughts on the matter.

darmeen

Jan 8, 2011
Bought one of these and I think they are pretty good for the money paid. I did have a hard time finding a case for it. However, found a small company that makes a pretty good sleeve for this unit and sells them for only $8.95 with free freight at Nuvo-Tek.com.
By the same token, if anyone knows of where I can buy a case (not a sleeve) that is a good fit for this eLocity unit, please let me know.
Thanks

You are aware that this is not an eLocity forum right? This is the forums for the Nook.

You may want to try the forums here: eLocity Tablets