NOOKcolor Owners thread

Feb 13, 2011
Hello everyone! I was given a nook color for chanukah and I love it soooo much! Everyday (whenever I'm using my nc) I always find a reason to say "I love my NC"! So since I am new I have so many unanswered questions about the nc. I see that everyone is having a great time "rooting" their nc (just found out what rooting means from this forum lol), but if I were to root my nc would that ruin the warranty on it? I also have a protection plan on it so would that void the plan? I have heard so many rumors that B&N was supposed to come out with another update in late January, but it never happened. I know the nc has so much potential as an Android tablet and that is the reason, besides getting as an excellent ereader, why I bought it! So I can't wait to hear from everyone soon!

-Sami

Attachments

• $11-02-13-5.png
    $11-02-13-5.png
    189.1 KB · Views: 245

Stelv

Jan 12, 2011
Hello everyone! I was given a nook color for chanukah and I love it soooo much! Everyday (whenever I'm using my nc) I always find a reason to say "I love my NC"! So since I am new I have so many unanswered questions about the nc. I see that everyone is having a great time "rooting" their nc (just found out what rooting means from this forum lol), but if I were to root my nc would that ruin the warranty on it? I also have a protection plan on it so would that void the plan? I have heard so many rumors that B&N was supposed to come out with another update in late January, but it never happened. I know the nc has so much potential as an Android tablet and that is the reason, besides getting as an excellent ereader, why I bought it! So I can't wait to hear from everyone soon!

-Sami

Hello. Yes I believe it will void your warranty and protection plan if you root. B&N is suppose to be coming out with a major update in march to unrooted devices which inlcudes android 2.2 and an app market...but there is no confirmation on that yet. I love my rooted nook color but please do alot of research if you are going to root and assume that it will void your warranty. If u have questions or problems with rooting, if u decide to do it, ask us on the forum for help...and i reccomend staying away from froyo right now if you root.

sent from my rooted nook color

jclubb32

Feb 12, 2011
You can always unroot the nook color back to stock so that the warranty is not voided should anything happen.

suefourmet

Jan 14, 2011
$11-02-14-1.pngFinally took a screen shot. Can anyone tell me how to get rid of that big "notifications volume" symbol that shows up at the top of my screen whenever I try to take a screen shot? I tried several things in the settings menu, but so far it still won't go away.

Sue

J515OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2011
Sue, It might take a little practice but you hold the n button down then quickly press the vol - button. More like a tap than a press really. It might not seem like it did anything for a second then you'll get the sound and the camera popping up in the notifications letting you know the pic was taken. Hopefully with out the volume notification. Just try tapping the vol - button faster if it is still giving you the volume display.

Last edited:

suefourmet

Jan 14, 2011
Kind of quiet on this thread, isn't it? I got brave yesterday and put HC on my sd card and booted up. Wow! That is very cool! I even managed to get my command prompts correct for using ADB and was able to get Market on board. I think I'll just wait for a complete version before trying to do anything internally. The sd card version is plenty of fun for now. BTW - I did install the B&N app and it seems to work great with books - only doesn't seem to work with newspapers or magazines (I think that is a B&N thing). Kindle app works fine, also.

Sue

jonesygirl

Feb 9, 2011
@Sue Do you mean that by using HC, you lose the original B&N ereader functionality and have to resort to installing the Nook app? That kind of stinks...

Sent from my sdk using Android Tablet Forum App

4freese

Dec 12, 2010
Noob Nook Color owner here. Well new to the nook anyways. Not new to Android. Loving this thing. Flashed honeycomb, got bored with that so flashed froyo, no homescreen landscape so I settled with stock rooted. Should I stay with 1.0.1 or move up to 1.1? Wasn't sure what the deal with 1.1 was so I haven't updated yet.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk