Off-Topic Discussion

MISRy

Sep 4, 2011
This is the second day of a two day sale on Nook Colors at the Egg. $116 refurbbed, shipped, 30 day warranty.

---------------------------------------------------
Sent from the Center of My Mind

jbenham

Official ATF App Tester
Oct 25, 2011
MISRy said:
This is the second day of a two day sale on Nook Colors at the Egg. $116 refurbbed, shipped, 30 day warranty.

---------------------------------------------------
Sent from the Center of My Mind

I should have gotten 2 to start with. They are sold out.

J515OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2011
The little Nook Color is quite popular :) There are many big manufacturers that wish they could have just one of their tablets pop like the NC. Too bad it was sort of a one hit wonder for B&N.

idontknow

Alternate ATF App Tester
Jan 13, 2011
This is a nook forum, right? So I have a question as well, hope somebody will kindly answer as you did to JB. My nook colo got so slow and sluggish and jumpy..I use it only with the CM 7.0 card in. Do you think is the nook itself or it's something with the card? Should I make or buy a new Cm 7card?

Samsung Galaxy Note

J515OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2011
Yep, just the card. Most likely an app misbehaving. Time to update that card to CM7.1 or even 7.2 ;)

idontknow

Alternate ATF App Tester
Jan 13, 2011
It's a card with a CM7 rom installed, the whole name is Cyanogenmod 7. Since on the nook we didn't have the google market, we could root it or we could just install this rom on an sd card and boot from it and that's what I did.

Samsung Galaxy Note

jbenham

Official ATF App Tester
Oct 25, 2011
idontknow said:
It's a card with a CM7 rom installed, the whole name is Cyanogenmod 7. Since on the nook we didn't have the google market, we could root it or we could just install this rom on an sd card and boot from it and that's what I did.

Samsung Galaxy Note

Thanks Gloria! Just wondering if it is something I would get for the Nook I am getting for granddaughter.

idontknow

Alternate ATF App Tester
Jan 13, 2011
I believe you are getting the nook color.....yes definitely you should turn it into a full Android tablet. . If you are good with tech stuff you can root it or you can make a CM 7 card and yes,JP can help you...he is the guru here at nook forum! I'm just an expert on where to find the best deal on CM7 cards ready to insert in the nook! I just ordered one few minutes ago.....lazy way to go!

Samsung Galaxy Note

jbenham

Official ATF App Tester
Oct 25, 2011
idontknow said:
I believe you are getting the nook color.....yes definitely you should turn it into a full Android tablet. . If you are good with tech stuff you can root it or you can make a CM 7 card and yes,JP can help you...he is the guru here at nook forum! I'm just an expert on where to find the best deal on CM7 cards ready to insert in the nook! I just ordered one few minutes ago.....lazy way to go!

Samsung Galaxy Note

Does it take the place of a microSD card?

Last edited:

idontknow

Alternate ATF App Tester
Jan 13, 2011
Yes, it is an s/d card and it goes in that slot. Even if you buy it with the rom already installed,.they sell different sizes: 4,8,16,32 GB so you can store stuff on it.

Samsung Galaxy Note

idontknow

Alternate ATF App Tester
Jan 13, 2011
Yes if you install the CM7 rom on it. Go to nook color technical-stickies and the first thread,from JP, shows you how to install cm 7 on your card, once you buy it.

Samsung Galaxy Note

Last edited:

J515OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2011
JB, you basically have 3 options with modifying the NC.

1. Root the stock OS. This gives you more options like changing the home launcher and adding app stores such as Amazon and Google. However, you are still essentially running the B&N modified version of Android.

2. Create a bootable micro SD card which is a self contained OS and runs entirely from the SD card. Usually people run CyanogenMod from a bootable SD card. It currently comes in two versions CM7 which is Gingerbread and CM9 which is Ice Cream Sandwich (CM8 was skipped because Honeycomb was always a half-baked version of Android to begin with). CM7 is highly developed and stable while CM9 like much of ICS is still being worked on and refined for the NC but is generally ok for everyday use at this point. These are both basically plain vanilla versions of Android.

The advantage of the bootable card is you can remove it and boot back up straight into the internal OS of the NC as if you had never been running anything other.

The disadvantages are that: it is more difficult to update, you use ~4GB of the SD card size to install the ROM leaving whatever space is left after that for actual storage (so a 16GB bootable card ends up having about 12GB usable space), it is more difficult to access the files on the card since unless you are booted into the card you can only see the boot partition (~200MB), if something goes wrong with the card you pretty much have to start from scratch by formatting the card and creating it from scratch (think factory reset) and you can't swap in new/different cards to expand storage while running from the bootable card since the bootable card is using the slot (think a device without an SD card slot).

3. You can run CM7 or CM9 from internal memory on the Nook. Advantages are use of internal storage and the SD card storage with the ability to swap SD cards in and out, you can use recovery tools to update, recover or reinstall if necessary (basically you have a chance to do a regular reset keeping your apps and data before having to go to a factory reset if it doesn't work), the full size of the SD card is available and you can still use a bootable SD card if you want. This last one gives you the option of running a second system (say CM7 on internal and CM9 on the card or a completely self-contained setup for a different user) and if something goes wrong with the internal memory that you can't fix right away you can just use a bootable SD card until you get it working again.

All in all you are looking at downloading about 4 to 6 files from the internet and then using those files to either create a bootable SD card or installing a custom ROM onto the NC itself. It really isn't too difficult.

JP