Official 2.2 Release for S7 from Huawei - Update? Status = 'Released in Indonesia'

Status
Not open for further replies.

Entropy

Dec 24, 2010
I was over at the huawei forums and read, as of 1/15 they were not going to update it to 2. 2. Instead they wanted to back down to like 1. 5 Or something crazy. I just got mine today, so they have 30 days or I'll be returning it. Hate it to do it but I just want progressive technology.
That doesn't make the slightest bit of sense at all. As others have said - no company in their right mind would do a downgrade.

On another thread I saw some indications that Huawei Forum titles are not that reliable - This guy could be just a random joe.

So far the most credible things pointing to a 1Q 2011 release are:
1) At one point Huawei Norway posted 1Q as a reply to someone's question on their Facebook page
2) Nearly all of the "potentially official" sources are semi-consistent in that they all seem to indicate 1Q 2011.

vferrari

Dec 4, 2010
Besides - whether 2.2 comes soon, later, or never - for $250 I'll gladly take the 100 things this tab does for me and use the existing workarounds (apps2sd, skyfire) for the three or so things it cant do. I think people focus too much on capacitive, multi-touch screens, flash, and system memory which are NICE TO HAVES IMO but not necessarily deal breakers (also my opinion) necessitating a return when you consider the generous price to features ratio. In other words, especially if you've just picked up the S7, take in what this device CAN do for you before you consider returning it just because it doesn't have a feature you may find out you are not missing all that much once you actually start using the tab for awhile. Just my $0.02. Granted, I do believe the tab market is going to take off in the next few months, but hey for a $250 investment I don't think I'll suffer much buyer's remorse when those new tabs hit the market and get their bugs worked out. Enjoy.

LDW

Dec 12, 2010
Besides - whether 2.2 comes soon, later, or never - for $250 I'll gladly take the 100 things this tab does for me and use the existing workarounds (apps2sd, skyfire) for the three or so things it cant do. I think people focus too much on capacitive, multi-touch screens, flash, and system memory which are NICE TO HAVES IMO but not necessarily deal breakers .

Totally agree with you the tablet it self is at the highest build quality and the screen is amazingly responsive after 1 hour of usage it becomes a natural touch feeling that you get and if
Huawei wants to upgrade 2.2 then its a massive plus but at the moment we are on a screaming train for the Rom success thanks to this site , Froyo or no Froyo the tablet is great fun and very useful piece of hardware , and i hope that everyone that buys one takes a good hard look at what your getting for your money because the more users Huawei have the more chance they will be pushed to an update . Hoping the forum reply is real but the only way we will ever be able to know is to wait till the end of March then we can start questioning Huawei , but meanwhile i'm going to use my great tablet to the max.

pikapp168

Jan 20, 2011
Did we read the first post in this thread? That is from the forum, and yes it is still there, I have seen it. The zt guy at that forum seems to be legit..........so lets keep having fun with our devices and good things come to those that wait.

There is no company in their right mind that would downgrade their OS.

Microsoft offered downgrades from Vista to XP. It can happen.

Truthfully the features are cool but I work for Sierra Wiress and have an aircard/mobile hot spot for free with almost every carrier, so no need for data on a tablet. Multitouch would be nice, but I'm more concerned with stuff like front facing camera and no apps that work with it. Also app space is another big concern. Why have an internal 8 Gbs if you can't utilize it for aps etc.

pbrauer

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 24, 2010
Microsoft offered downgrades from Vista to XP. It can happen.

Truthfully the features are cool but I work for Sierra Wiress and have an aircard/mobile hot spot for free with almost every carrier, so no need for data on a tablet. Multitouch would be nice, but I'm more concerned with stuff like front facing camera and no apps that work with it. Also app space is another big concern. Why have an internal 8 Gbs if you can't utilize it for aps etc.

Look at the thread on App2SD, which we are still working to get written up into a single post on how to do it, then you can use the internal 8 Gb for apps.

As far as the "downgrade" yes, that was a hoax posted by someone who thought they were being funny or just being a jerk.

Front-facing camera and video chat is still coming from lots of different places, and i would expect apps by mid-year.

buzzman

Dec 8, 2010
Hope it's worth the premium price and contract! Good luck!
Just saw your good deal!!( $350 and no contract) Come back and let us know how it compares.

Last edited:

pikapp168

Jan 20, 2011
Hope it's worth the premium price and contract! Good luck!
Just saw your good deal!!( $350 and no contract) Come back and let us know how it compares.

Well I ended up taking the S7 back and while at BB they said they had the Verizon Galaxy on sale for $399 no contract. I figured I have a 14 day return policy so that will by me time if something better comes out. So far this tab is amazing.

grenness

Nov 1, 2010
Posted in another thread on Jan 24, but thought I'd just repeat myself here...

I have today received another confirmation from Huawei Norway that a software upgrade to 2.2 Froyo indeed will be released, this time they said around March/April, which corresponds well with this post on the Huawei forum:
Huawei Technical Forum: ADOBE FLASH PLAYER JAVA ...

But I still don't know whether this is a global upgrade or for Norway/the Nordics only.
Bear in mind that the S7 sold here in Norway is the one with a single front facing camera - although I really doubt the upgrade won't work on the dual cam models sold in the US.

Regards,
Christopher

buzzman

Dec 8, 2010
If that is the case, I hope you Norwegians are ready to share! LoL....;)

Sent from my Ideos S7

lotusflower

Dec 3, 2010
The following is an update as posted by a Huawei Engineer on the official Huawei Forums, by someone that has previously been found to be reliable:

"zt0622
Huawei Staff
Expert Points: 0
Useable Points: 10000
Re: 2.2 update
Posted: 2011-01-25 10:55

We plan to release the Android 2.2 for S7 in Feb. or March.
Thank you for your concern for out product."

Thank you so for keeping an eye on that front for us! We will be a happy crowd when that happens! I think the company is realizing how unsatisfied the US customers are about this and are awaiting 2.2.

pvella

Dec 20, 2010
2.2 on the S7 will make it one of the best bang for bucks tablets out there (if it is not already).

LDW

Dec 12, 2010
If that is the case, I hope you Norwegians are ready to share! LoL....;)

Sent from my Ideos S7

I'm currently living in Norway so if the release is exclusive (which i doubt) ill post the day it releases :D . And i agree with Pvella the update will cross out alot of the "Cons" for the S7 and put it in the spot light (till next seasons tablets steal the show)

Status
Not open for further replies.