Onda v701 Will No Longer Boot After 4.1 Update Attempt

debbie0413

Dec 16, 2012
I have just spent quite a bit of time attempting to accomplish the Android 4.1 update. I have done my best to follow all of the steps. Now, I have a bigger problem: now, on both startup and recovery startup the system hangs on the "Onda" screen and will not boot at all. Does anyone have any suggestions, or will I just have to send the unit back to Onda? Thanks in advance for any help.

rugal

Nov 27, 2012
Hello debbie.

I was in the same problem. As I say in this reply, you have to do this:
I tried to update from 4.0.3 to 4.1.1 with the tutorial in the first post and when finish the first step (after installing patch & update of the 2.0 firm) the tablet stuck on the Onda logo and reboots constantly.

So, I power off and enter to recovery (home + power on without sd card inside) and do a wipe data / cache & wipe data partition.

After this, I start again. Insert the SD with the update files and everything ok.

Good luck! ;)

debbie0413

Dec 16, 2012
Finally...SUCCESS! At first I had the files in a folder, then later I must have had a bad copy of them on my mini SD card. I finally was able to get a clean firmware update along with (I think) a good rooting. At least, the tablet is lightening fast now. However, the first tablet I was working on just died. I will re-charge it to see if it recovers. It just may be a bad unit, although it was working without the firmware update for a few days. Anyway, thanks for the help!!!

iiDiabolusZz

Nov 9, 2012
Finally...SUCCESS! At first I had the files in a folder, then later I must have had a bad copy of them on my mini SD card. I finally was able to get a clean firmware update along with (I think) a good rooting. At least, the tablet is lightening fast now. However, the first tablet I was working on just died. I will re-charge it to see if it recovers. It just may be a bad unit, although it was working without the firmware update for a few days. Anyway, thanks for the help!!!

If you get any problems let me know.

debbie0413

Dec 16, 2012

My 2nd tablet firmware install/rooting went fine. I see that you definitely need to wipe the 3 sets of data before doing the firmware install. My rooting did not happen automatically, but when I installed it manually it worked with no problems. Again, thank you for your help in this. I shared the link to this forum in my recent comments RE: the v701 tablet model on the Onda website.

debbie0413

Dec 16, 2012

For some reason I need to do the 1st step of installation twice (wipe everything, then automatically install firmware files). The only thing I notice is that the menu in the recovery screen is in slightly different order after doing this step the first time, but it hangs on the Ondo screen unless I repeat step 1. Not a real problem, as long as I know what to do.

iiDiabolusZz

Nov 9, 2012
For some reason I need to do the 1st step of installation twice (wipe everything, then automatically install firmware files). The only thing I notice is that the menu in the recovery screen is in slightly different order after doing this step the first time, but it hangs on the Ondo screen unless I repeat step 1. Not a real problem, as long as I know what to do.

You are using the correct "factory_update_param.aml" for each section, as they are scripts for the tablet and both different. Try formating sdcard to FAT32, i am now on about my 60th v701 and have had no problems.
http://www.androidtablets.net/forum...ing-play-store-google-apps-root-explorer.html