Onda Vi40 Dual Core Review

jatinp82

Nov 7, 2012
Please see my review about this table.

1) Performance,display and battery backup wise it's good..
2) Battery recharging takes longer time ( more than 4 hours )
3) No access to Google AppStore.
4) Can not able to open few website like Youtube.. !!
5) Biggest problem is Wifi... Range and Speed is very very less. Even if you keep your tablet near wireless router you wan't see full range in your table which really irritating sometimes.

Before i bought this tablet, i sent few queries to Onda Customer Support Center and i had received the reply on the same date.. but after i received the table and started facing above issues, i sent few mail to them but i didn't received any reply from them yet...

Now i am waiting for the new firmware to be released. Hope it will resolve all the above issues.

Last edited:

ebsbow

Nov 11, 2012
It is not meeting current Western standards. That said, this device is ok.

Screen is of a nice size, it's a very bright IPS( I use it mostly at a very low setting)
Performance is ok. The 1.5Ghz Dual Core and Dual Mali400 run good, and for the moment fast enough.
It runs just about anything at respectable framerate.

Battery live is good if you are not doing to much active stuff.
If the brightness goes up then the battery goes down exponentially, as is with all Chinese devices.
Nevertheless in performance mode, the battery can last from 3 to 5 hours depending on what you are doing.
Gaming isn't that big of a power consumer relatively speaking, Wifi and brightness are the big power consumers.
And so are active background apps and badly programmed apps.

Charging the battery is best done by using the 2 Amp wall charger and not the mini-usb connector. Mine loads
full at around 3 hours, that is not so bad. Using the computer to load, or an other then 2 amp charger will take for ever.
Don't know if the battery is of good quality, and if it will perform at its top after 6 months. We will see, there is no guaranty.

The outer design of the device is great, but not well executed. Materials are of low quality to us westerners.
Plastic used is to brittle and the aluminum back, which feels nice in hand, is prone to scratches easily. To easy.
It's not an heavy device and is well balanced. The button on the front isn't programmable which is an miser.

Internet and browsing are no problem. This is for most part software, and so far everything I need doing online works.
You may need different browsers for the job though.
Working over Wifi is ok, but I guess that depends on where you are. I live in the city, and I can detect anything
that the Wifi card is capable of. That is, devices far and close. Though some ad-hoc connections don't work, some exotic adapters are not compatible for some reason.
Wifi stops when the device goes to sleep, that is software related.( The adapter does perform better then some Chinese Wifi N sticks I have tested)
Streaming audio and video works great, though the connection does drop from time to time Don't know if that is hardware or software related.

The speakers are only good if the 'room' is cleared of noise. Using it in open spaces is useless. Thats is an little bummer, but you can
use external speakers.. Quality of the sound is ok, meaning not crappy, just very basic. Using headphones is an other solution.

It should be said that features are not abundant. Only a G-sensor. No GPS, no 3G, no BT, no FM, no compass, no QR( so sad) etc..
There is limited support using the mini-usb connector. So fa anything I own didn't work. Also you have to use an OTG cable, not just any usb cable.
The Camera is there but just about useless, to weak to anything. Unless you use it for skype and are used to low quality pictures.
It is not capable to run an QR app, or any other camera app for that matter. Again, just very basic.

Also basic is HDMI. And again not with just any cable and not in dual mode. It does run in HD mode and something that should be 1080p.
It probably depends on what device you use this option and framerates drop by 20%-30% depending on what you are doing.
Tested this on acer 1080p monitor and an HD beamer using a 5 meter and 30 cm 1.4 cables. Effect is the same.

Saying that this is an cheap device is open for debate. If you look at what it does not do then the prices is not that cheap.
If you take into account that this is marketed as an High-end Chinese device for the Chinese market then it is expensive for what it is.

In any case, you should not be ashamed to own it though. It is exotic( as in unknown), doesn't looks bad, almost slick. The screen is nice, performance is respectable. You may even impress people, surely those who know Chinese tablets only by hearsay, and some others too.

If you look at Chinese tablets on the market today, then you will find that this is definitely one of the better ones.
Though they should up the specs and build quality.

iiDiabolusZz

Nov 9, 2012
Please see my review about this table.

1) Performance,display and battery backup wise it's good..
2) Battery recharging takes longer time ( more than 4 hours )
3) No access to Google AppStore.
4) Can not able to open few website like Youtube.. !!
5) Biggest problem is Wifi... Range and Speed is very very less. Even if you keep your tablet near wireless router you wan't see full range in your table which really irritating sometimes.

Before i bought this tablet, i sent few queries to Onda Customer Support Center and i had received the reply on the same date.. but after i received the table and started facing above issues, i sent few mail to them but i didn't received any reply from them yet...

Now i am waiting for the new firmware to be released. Hope it will resolve all the above issues.

Hi dont have a vi40 but these 2 links for the firmware
V1 http://chinamobiles.org/downloads/zap/Vi40_V1_Android4.0.3_v0.6.zip

V3 http://chinamobiles.org/downloads/zap/Vi40_V3_Android4.0.3_v0.6.zip