Pandigital Novel

ratpack

Jun 9, 2010
Just read about the Pandigital Novel eReader, powered by Android. 7-inch, 6-hr batt, but very few specs beyond that. Like, for instance, which flavor of OS.

Anybody know more? Have one? Thoughts?

strangeseraph

Jun 10, 2010
The Pandigital is an ebook reader, I don't think it has many functions beyond that for all expensive and pretty it is.

bbdec1

Jul 25, 2010
The Pandigital is an ebook reader, I don't think it has many functions beyond that for all expensive and pretty it is.
It runs Eclair (2.0) and can be hacked easily to use as a tablet. I have it and it rocks. Not a lot of apps available and Market is not on it since it is marketed as an eReader rather than a tablet. Apps have to be added manually but it is easy to do. It is a better deal than any of the chinese junk on the net and it blows away all other book readers since it is the first true touch screen full color e-reader out there. Add the hacks, and it is well worth the $149 I paid at BB&B after rebate.

bbdec1

Jul 25, 2010
Just read about the Pandigital Novel eReader, powered by Android. 7-inch, 6-hr batt, but very few specs beyond that. Like, for instance, which flavor of OS.

Anybody know more? Have one? Thoughts?
full color touch screen, (resistive touch) Barnes & Noble content for ereader. can play MP4 video, mp3, read ePub, Text, surf the internet, get pop3 email,has facebook all on the vanilla eReader without hacking....Try that with a Kindle or Nook or Sony. With the hacks, (see my post below) I have many games, and a few apps from my Droid ported over. Problem is that the screen size does not play my droid games in full size. It is well worth the money for an eReader alone but if you want the hack info, let me know. It is simple and easy to follow. I got the info from SlateDroid before their server change and I have all the hacked files.

mindwave65

Jul 26, 2010
I've seen a lot of folks recently loving this. Anyone know what kind of processor? and am I correct in assuming this is Android 1.6 (?) or is that 2.0 I see in a prev post?

It looks like exactly what I would like my wife to have, and with the BBB deal its almost a no brainer, I just want something that has MORE use than JUST an ereader. Essentially some light browsing, light email AND (heres the killer) accepting her CONTACTS from either OUTLOOK or EVOLUTION.

I would really appreciate some owners input.

thanks

mindwave65

Jul 26, 2010
I've seen a lot of folks recently loving this. Anyone know what kind of processor? and am I correct in assuming this is Android 1.6 (?) or is that 2.0 I see in a prev post?

It looks like exactly what I would like my wife to have, and with the BBB deal its almost a no brainer, I just want something that has MORE use than JUST an ereader. Essentially some light browsing, light email AND (heres the killer) accepting her CONTACTS from either OUTLOOK or EVOLUTION.

I would really appreciate some owners input.

thanks

mindwave65

Jul 26, 2010
question, a friend just sent me the loink from the digital reader that sayd PD has recalled the novel, has anyone tried the new firmwarre?

bugeyed

Jul 26, 2010
question, a friend just sent me the loink from the digital reader that sayd PD has recalled the novel, has anyone tried the new firmwarre?

Old news (I suppose) haven't heard of a recent recall. The "non-recall" happened in June with inventory at Kohl's. I understand that the products were pulled to the Kohl's warehouse & the firmware updated. This product has been for sale at Bed Bath & Beyond for most of July, & there has been one subsequent firmware update via Pandigital's web site dnload. Mine is fine & am having a blast with the android apps.
Cheers,
kev
P.S. If you get the 20% coupon & the $20 rebate you should just buy it & start playing. Or reading, just sayin'

KodiakEd

Jul 14, 2010
My wife has been wanting an e-reader for some time and I've been telling her to hold off. She had a chance to see one for herself yesterday, so I went to look as well and picked it up.

For the price (~$115 after rebate), you can't beat this. It does books, internet via WIFI, e-mail, Facebook, some games, etc, basically all the things she wanted it for.

I'm gonna check it out over the next couple of weeks in it's current form and then maybe hack it with a new home screen (LauncherPro) and add some other apps for her. The step by step instructions seem pretty straight forward for someone without much experience.

Looking forward to seeing what the capabilities are for this thing. :)

strommsarnac

Jul 30, 2010
Did you get one of the new versions or the old one? I'm waiting for the new one but I haven't seen any released yet.

chicagorod

Aug 2, 2010
I got mine a week ago.. I am not much an E-reader. I was hoping to use it more for a tablet purpose, seeing how I love my Motorola droid. I am amazed on how slow this thing is and terrible it preforms. I am hoping to be able to hack it eventually( am not the brightest when it comes to that).
I would have to say the price was the greatest feature.

Anyone with hints or help on this please PM me.

probbiethe1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jun 30, 2010
I got mine a week ago.. I am not much an E-reader. I was hoping to use it more for a tablet purpose, seeing how I love my Motorola droid. I am amazed on how slow this thing is and terrible it preforms. I am hoping to be able to hack it eventually( am not the brightest when it comes to that).
I would have to say the price was the greatest feature.

Anyone with hints or help on this please PM me.​

what tablet do you have? and like you mentioned you have to remember the price if you would have bought your droid off contract (maybe you did) it would have cost you almost 600 dollars, so comparing a 100 dollar device to a 600 dollar isnt really fair but i totally understamd where your coming from. once we find out what tablet you have we might be able to help you a little bit

tipstir

Developer
Aug 4, 2010
These have slower processor in them. I thought about buying one yesterday at my local Bed Bath Beyond store, but haven't decided yet. 533/600MHz 1GB of storage I think it has 256MB for RAM. Panel is Vivid. Case is white though. I've seen it in black but I guess those are gone. Walgreen, Kohl's and Bed Bath Beyond have a stack of these on hand.

tipstir

Developer
Aug 4, 2010
They got firmware for it to make it like a tablet if you type in pandigital on youtube you'll see some results. But to me it's not stable. That's the key if it's not stable then you'll have more trouble to deal with.