PDF on Android Tablet 1.7

Jasonc

Aug 31, 2010
What PDF reader should i get for my Tablet.
I would like to download it from external link.. and then install via USB on Android Tablet.

Thank you

gurgle

Super Moderator
Staff member
Aug 6, 2010
Hello Jason, You might want to reference this thread Tablets and PDF . I tried to address that same question from my experiences.

Best of Luck

Jasonc

Aug 31, 2010
Thank you very much for the reply... i will go and have a read.

Do you know where i can read up on Upgrading Android from 1.7 to 2.1?

Thanks

gurgle

Super Moderator
Staff member
Aug 6, 2010
That is a tougher question. Keep in mind you are seeing two numbers
The number you are referencing is the Firmware build number, not the Android OS version. There are only four versions of Android found on Tablets. 1.5, 1.6, 2.1 and 2.2 Or Cupcake, Donut,Eclair and Froyo.
The firmware is what the producer does to the OS to make it compatible with the Tablet. One of the most common versions is a 1.7.x where the x is a number as well.
Upgrades to firmware are many times easier than an OS upgrade. There are many Tablets which literally do not have the horsepower to run 2.1 or 2.2. Many of the generics use the VIA 8505 processor and chipset. This would be like running Windows 7 with a Pentium. It may be possible, but never recommended.

Try to discover if there are Firmware updates which are compatible and stable for your tablet. Some updates fix many issues not addressed in the unit. TipStir (another super-Mod) can describe the improvements of the firmware he appliied to his Augen. The same cannot be said for all firmwares.

Unless the vendor offers an OS upgrade, it is not likely to happen. It would be better to find a stable firmware update.

Best of Luck