Permanent soft keys?

armyjeffries

Feb 23, 2011
I saw a thread like this on XDA, but no answers there either.

I would love a way to get permanent soft keys for the normal back, menu, home, and search keys. I believe the Xoom is sporting them. I use button saviour now, and it is ok, but still kind of annoying to have to bring up the keys when I need them, and they often overlap something on the screen.

A set of permanent keys that could "dock" to the bottom of the screen (in either landscape or portrait mode), that would just push everything else on top of it (including the regular launcher dock, etc) would be great. I wouldn't mind losing a small amount of screen real estate for some dedicated navigation buttons.

Is there anything like this out there yet?

probbiethe1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jun 30, 2010
what is the link that you saw this in xda, i dont know exactly what you are talking about but you can use smart bar to put shortcuts in your notification bar.

probbiethe1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jun 30, 2010
o ok so its not available out there yet and the only way would probably be through a custom rom

darmeen

Jan 8, 2011
I have a feeling that until we get Honeycomb to a daily driver state we are stuck with softkeys/button savior.

Its not because it is the Xoom, it is because HC is built for devices that may not have an actual back hard key.

Stelv

Jan 12, 2011

dcsipe

Jan 26, 2011
Like any of them, it has its quirks. I had to do a little messing around with Market, but it didn't take too much to get it working. I'm having some problems getting ADB working on my computers, so I had to do a few things on the nook to get market working (deleting cache, rebooting, then downloading Market Enabler). After that, no issues with Market. The wifi is a little flaky, but nothing a reboot doesn't fix.

Overall, i'm pretty happy. The theme is really smooth looking. I've been pleased with the total configuration of it so far. I think the only thing I had to do initially was kill the softkeys, so that little softkeys icon in the bottom corner went away. After that, it's been smooth sailing.