Playing videos in Nook Color

gadgetrants

Staff member
Sep 22, 2010
Guess it's not an option in Handbrake, but it does adjust the "dynamic range":

Dynamic Range Compression

The dynamic range of an audio track is the difference between the softest and loudest sounds.
Dynamic range compression reduces the gap between those extremes.

• 1.0-2.5 are good values to use.
  • 0, the default, turns it off completely.
  • 1.0 uses the compression hints embedded in the AC3 track.
  • Values greater than 1.0 compress the range further by boosting the volume of soft sound samples while leaving loud samples as they are. This squeezes down the range between the softest and loudest parts, but should make the softer ones easier to hear in noisy listening environments.
Note, this is not the same as a gain or volume boost control. HandBrake does not currently support this.
-Matt

opjose

Feb 12, 2011
I've been using the FREEWARE program "Freemake" with great success. It converts DVD's, etc. to various formats.

It has an Android profile that works, but you can further optimize.

Open a video to convert to the Nook, then hit the "convert to Android" button.

Select the Android profile.

Hit "edit" to get to the profile editing screen and create a new profile from the existing one. Give it a new name.

Then input the parameters so things look like this

$Freemake Settings.JPG

You can lower or increase the audio sample rate and bitrate as you desire for either greater fidelity or smaller files.

1800kbps seems to be about optimum for video. Below 1600 starts to produce visible pixilation, while above 1800 creates large files without an increase in apparent video fidelity.

You can also cut scenes, string scenes or movies together into one, etc.

The companion free program, Freemake Video Downloader, also grabs videos from Youtube and many other internet sources.... click on the site icons for more info.

I'm pleased with the results and find these programs easier and more reliable than my first Handbrake attempts.

ALL movies I've made with the above settings work on the Nook Color.

Did I mention it's - FREE - !!!

Last edited:

jinnijinn

Jan 31, 2011
I bought software that easily converts video for the NC (and just about anything else): DVD Catalyst. It's a lower-tech solution for only $10.

Last edited:

Nate Rules

Jan 14, 2011
I use Vuse to download movies and transcode it. Just use the h264 640x360 option when transcoding. Vuse will also put it on your device when you plug it in. It's an easy do it all software and its free. I even like it better than utorrent.

NookColor version 1.0.1 at 1.1 Ghz

crenita

Jan 6, 2011
OK this is a anothe dumb question.. but where do you buy your download movies to convert .. I am running into problems doing that and seem to always buy a movie that won't allow me ot convert ????

Abb0nz

Dec 31, 2010
I bought software that easily converts video for the NC (and just about anything else): DVD Catalyst. It's a lower-tech solution for only $10.

Me to. Ok, it cost $10 but is well worth it to me. It has a Nook Color setting, couldn't be easier to use and the end result is great.

AnimaTechnica

Nov 4, 2010
Most movies you buy for download are typically coded with DRM and can only be played by apps that support the rights management so this means no converting

OK this is a anothe dumb question.. but where do you buy your download movies to convert .. I am running into problems doing that and seem to always buy a movie that won't allow me ot convert ????

crenita

Jan 6, 2011
ok so let me get this... I have doubletwist and bought airsync for it.( by the way waaaaaay cool ))
.. it tells me I can covert itunes.. do you think I could convert Itune movies using that ??

I am a total novice re movie convertions ...but I am guessing the only way to do this is to get a DVD and buy one of these conversion programs and then add it to my devices ?????

Last edited: