Please read before flashing roms!!!!!!

vdubbus77

Nov 29, 2011
Ok Thanks to Lucas_sylvie for opening up his tablet and verifying that Craig has indeed been shipping CMP738B tablets with what appears to be 2 Different Wifi cards installed.
Now moving forward we need to stop Flashing the Roms already posted to CMP738B tablets with the Realtek usb wifi installed. The easiest way I have found is take your new unflashed, unrooted tablet and install this Term.apk from your sd card with the APK installer app. Make sure you are hooked up to Wifi and reboot tablet. After a reboot open the newly installed Terminal Emulator and at the prompt type "dmesg" without the quotes. It is going to print out alot of information but you need to look for this.

[69] =======================================================
[69] ==== Launching Wi-Fi driver! (Powered by Rockchip) ====
[69] =======================================================
[69] RT3070 WiFi driver (Powered by Rockchip,Ver 2.12) init.

If you see this then you are probably ok, Normal warnings still apply "MAY BRICK YOUR TABLET!!!!!" "YOU WILL VOID YOUR WARRANTY" AND "DO NOT FLASH ROMS FOR CMP738A" "MAY KILL YOUR WIFI"

If you see something else STOP!!!! Don't flash anything. First post what it says, the people trying to fix this problem have either already lost their wifi or have this Wifi Chipset and have working Wifi. Simply put we just can't replicate the issue.

Now for the tough part. If you have a tablet that reports something else and you want a rooted Rom with working Wifi the you are going to need to Dump the Rom from your Device and post it up to be modified.
This will not only protect you by having an Original Rom to go back to if need be. It will also Help out those who have lost their Wifi.
When someone posts here that they have found the difference and are willing to get their hands a little dirty Dumping the rom I will post instructions on how to do that.

If you have already lost your Wifi it will show what I posted above.

Thanks To Salty it appears if you open Security Guard and go to Operating system version Realtek users will have 8188 at the end of it.

Last edited:

vdubbus77

Nov 29, 2011
To dump Rom
I'm not going to reinvent the wheel so go to http://www.slatedroid.com/topic/21867-rk2818-kitchen-for-windows/ Download everything it says you need and install everything. Just make sure the folder goes right on your C: or else it wont work right. It says a few root tools work..... they don't but Super One Click works just enough. Get it here http://www.multiupload.com/MU_QWMM967EU0 . Once everything is installed you are going to have to play around a little bit. This is what I did

1 enable usb debugging on tablet.
2 Turn usb host mode off.
3 plug tablet into pc with supplied cable.
4 it should start looking for a driver use driver inside rkcooking folder.
5 after drivers install your usb should list Android composite device.
6 open super one click..... click "root" and wait. It should get stuck after a bit and just sit there.
7 without closing Super oneclick on the rkcooking.bat select create rom from rom on tablet. should kill adb server and you should get more action from Superoneclick. Select No to test.
8 do not close SuperOneClick, RKcooking .bat should have locked up. close and reopen try to dump again. It should work this time.
9 after dump follow instructions on rkcooking page to pack rom.
10 upload dumped Rom to this thread.
11 Then wait.

Just like everything you do to your tablet "This Could Brick Your Tablet"
Hopefully a few wifi "error" users will test this as will I and post results. If a few wifi "error" users post positive result I will start repacking the old Roms to work with this Wifi and Repack and Release a few more.

Last edited:

m3red

Oct 19, 2011
Ok i linked this thread with the others. So i hope someone can make a clean dump file and send it. Its dumb how craig would use different hardware in the same model of tablet.

salty

Jan 1, 2012
$WiFi.jpgCraig CMP738b not rooted with realtek 8188 wifi

vdubbus77

Nov 29, 2011
Ok i linked this thread with the others. So i hope someone can make a clean dump file and send it. Its dumb how craig would use different hardware in the same model of tablet.

I think Salty found an easier way to find out. If you open Security Guard and check operating system version his says 8188 at the end of the os version. Different than mine.

meepinator

Jan 1, 2012
I've just verified that my tablet has identical wifi to Salty's and I'm willing to dump a ROM, I'm just not entirely certain about how to do it. I'll probably start digging on my own, but any help would be appreciated.

EDIT: Well, I guess I should start reading whole threads, just saw the instructions above, getting started on that now.

Last edited:

vdubbus77

Nov 29, 2011
I've just verified that my tablet has identical wifi to Salty's and I'm willing to dump a ROM, I'm just not entirely certain about how to do it. I'll probably start digging on my own, but any help would be appreciated.

Check 2nd post in thread. Go slow ask many questions.

beastech

Dec 31, 2011
My information in security guard says 8188 under operating system as well.

Terminal emulator does not match the info in the original post, so this is probably a safe indicator, unless Craig is using more than 2 chipsets for wifi.

Anything i can do to help give me the word.

Sent from my CMP738b using Tapatalk

EDIT: When i say safe indicator i mean that checking security guard is a good way to tell what kind of wifi you have, NOT that it is safe to root your tablet. Just want to make sure i dont confuse anyone.

Last edited:

fpill

Jan 1, 2012
Are you saying that it is "safe" to root your cmp738B if in terminal it reads RT3070 WiFi driver (Powered by Rockchip,Ver 2.12) init.?
Or in security guard under operating system version what numbers am I looking for if not 8188?
I see Linux version 2.6.12, gcc version 4.4.0 and at the bottom I see yt200-700-0246 and a bunch of zeros?

I know by "safe" I can still brick my tablet..sorry if I sound to noobish, but I am.

Thanks for all the hard work.

vdubbus77

Nov 29, 2011
Are you saying that it is "safe" to root your cmp738B if in terminal it reads RT3070 WiFi driver (Powered by Rockchip,Ver 2.12) init.?
Or in security guard under operating system version what numbers am I looking for if not 8188?
I see Linux version 2.6.12, gcc version 4.4.0 and at the bottom I see yt200-700-0246 and a bunch of zeros?

I know by "safe" I can still brick my tablet..sorry if I sound to noobish, but I am.

Thanks for all the hard work.

It seems that if in security guard your numbers end in zero and in terminal you run the rt3070 driver then yes. I am hesitant to use the word "safe" though. The roms run that driver. ultimately it is up to you.

fpill

Jan 1, 2012
Just checked another thread. Now I see the difference in security guard.
View attachment 5146
Mine does not have the 8188 at the end of the last line.

Thanks!!!!
Now to re-read the the rooting procedure 25 times before trying!!

beastech

Dec 31, 2011
Thanks for posting the pic fpill, i couldnt figure out a good way to screen capture.

Sent from my rk2818sdk using Tapatalk

m3red

Oct 19, 2011
Use a cell phone and email it to yourself and post it using a desktop/laptop.

meepinator

Jan 1, 2012
Alright, everything appears to have gone well, I have a 117mb img file being uploaded right now of the realtek version of these tablets. I'll post again as soon as that completes.