plug getting hot

Geheimster

Sep 11, 2011
Just bought an ASUS transformer and the plug is getting very hot when charging.

Not too hot to touch, but enough that I won't leave it on charge overnight or if using the transformer in bed I have to move the bed well away from the wall socket
Is this normal?

Last edited:

Walkop

Apr 18, 2011
Yes, for the most part it is. The TF charger is high-power - it uses USB 3.0 and charges quite fast, but then also gets quite hot. I appreciate the fast charging quite a bit; very convenient. But it is hot to the touch.

Personally, I wouldn't worry about it. I don't think a company like ASUS would design a charger that would burn your house down under normal use. Its just due to the high current flowing through it, I'd say.

If you're really worried about it, you could keep it a few inches away from anything flammable; but I wouldn't worry about leaving it plugged in overnight. I don't think random combustion is a big problem.

By the way, as a side note - apparently you can extend the cable by using a USB 3.0 extension cable. Standard USB cables (2.0, for example) won't really work.

By the way, welcome to the forum! If you have any questions about apps, general use, etc, feel free to ask.

Sent from my Transformer TF101 using Android Tablet Forum

Last edited:

Geheimster

Sep 11, 2011
Hi,

Thanks for the response & the welcome.

Having experienced a house fire in the past I am just paranoid about such things and out of all the electronic devices I have owned this is the hottest plug going.

Rather then the USB3 route I am now using an extension reel that has a built in RCD that I have owned for years. Extends the cable reach & puts my mind at rest and no extra expense...