Porting SoftKeys to Telechips 8902 tablet

helfrez

Aug 16, 2010
Can anyone provide some insight on repacking the Status bar for these X5A/MID701/X6A tablets? I would really like to mod the bar to include the home/menu/back buttons found in Archos and some of the other tablets. I tried swapping in some code from my AIT5 into the framework-res,aok that I unpacked with apktool, but I had no success getting it properly working. Most attempts resulted in bootloops. I also attempted to package an update.zip testsigned and force it onto the device, but that didnt work so well either, as i don;t think I got it packed quite right.

Can anyone offer up any assistance?

xaueious

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 9, 2010
I think that sort of thing sits in the framework files

Try playing around with those files

OffWorld

Oct 5, 2010
After updating the Augen Gentouch 78 one of the best additions were the "Menu" "Home" and "Back" soft keys in the status bar at the top of the screen (those buttons on the back are awful - always pressing the wrong one). Just how the heck did they DO those? I figured it was probably in the "framework-res.apk" but I can't figure out where.

So, does anyone know how to add these on-screen buttons? Is there a third-party app that can add them? It's ridiculous to have to press physical buttons on a touchscreen device!

OffWorld

Oct 5, 2010
Ok, after Googling around for days on this I'm starting to think maybe I'm asking for the wrong thing.

It seems most people who refer to "Soft Keys" are talking about the PHYSICAL, but programmable, buttons on the Android device and not "Virtual Buttons" in the status/menu bar. Adding to my confusion is that "Soft Keyboard" refers to the virtual, on-screen touch keyboard.

I still haven't located the magic code for the status bar buttons in the framework.apk file I pulled from the Gentouch. I'm beginning to think it's in some other file somewhere.

l_n

Dec 28, 2010
Could it be a system apk that adds the buttons to the status bar?