Post Upgrade: Kudos and Komplaints?

frapshake

Apr 22, 2011
I have been having this happen on a Gingerbread tablet recently (just the past week or so). I wonder if it is do to a new app download or an app update? Maybe the app is messing with the wifi somehow.

Good point. I was thinking an app might be messing up the WiFi too, and I was going to try to dig deeper into that, BUT...I think I have it solved now! I did the pin hole reset and after it booted, I put it to sleep for 30 minutes and just now turned it on and I have internet! Time will tell, but this is the first time I was able to go anywhere right away without resetting after sleeping it for 30 minutes. I'm hoping the reset jogged a glitch away or something. It's looking good so far. Thanks for your suggestion.

J515OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2011
I wonder what the pin hole reset actually does? It's not the full factory reset where you lose all apps and get a bone stock device right? It must just clear all the caches or something like that. Glad it seems to be working :)

shadowmonster

Aug 21, 2011
I got tired of waiting for the OTA update and took the update.zip file offered on XDA...ICS Build Acer_AV041_A500_1.033.00_PA_CUS1...and its been perfect so far. Can't believe they would remove the option to have bookmarks show as a list though, coud see missing the addition of an option like this but taking it out is odd..... other then that it has performed perfectly so far.... and yes maps don't crash no more. Still finding new features as I go but so far I'm pleased

Last edited:

strider_mt2k

Nov 22, 2010
You can diable main apps, such as Clear.fi ect. First force stop it to turn the server off. Then diable.

goto the apps section in settings see all running or all... if it can be diabled there will be the diable button on top right.

Make sure you don't diable somethig nthat makes others work, but you can always re enable.

This is an awesome tip. THANK YOU!

frapshake

Apr 22, 2011
I wonder what the pin hole reset actually does? It's not the full factory reset where you lose all apps and get a bone stock device right? It must just clear all the caches or something like that. Glad it seems to be working :)

I spoke too soon. Darn it. I tested it again by sleeping it about 45 minutes and woke it up and can't go anyplace. So, I'm going to try to find the fix, but if I can't, it's no big deal to use it this way. It just bothers me that something isn't right. Yes, to answer your question, the pin hole reset I did only resets and no apps or anything lost.

J515OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2011
I spoke too soon. Darn it. I tested it again by sleeping it about 45 minutes and woke it up and can't go anyplace. So, I'm going to try to find the fix, but if I can't, it's no big deal to use it this way. It just bothers me that something isn't right. Yes, to answer your question, the pin hole reset I did only resets and no apps or anything lost.

Yes, I tried that too with no success. I fear it will take finding the app/change that caused the problem or a full format to fix the issue.

Icebike

Apr 28, 2011

Do you know off hand what your router's max lease time is?
In the past, some android stacks had problems with infinite lease periods.

frapshake

Apr 22, 2011
Do you know off hand what your router's max lease time is?
In the past, some android stacks had problems with infinite lease periods.

Yes I do. Lease obtained Wednesday April 25th, expires tomorrow. I've been trying different things. I had OpenDNS numbers, so tried changing to my service provider's DNS numbers but that didn't help. I'm not going to resort to full format because it isn't that much of a problem for me. Thanks.

Guess I should have mentioned, I never had this problem even once the whole year I owned this tablet, until the upgrade to ICS. I do love ICS though. This might be fixed in the next mini update.

Last edited:

J515OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2011
Yes I do. Lease obtained Wednesday April 25th, expires tomorrow. I've been trying different things. I had OpenDNS numbers, so tried changing to my service provider's DNS numbers but that didn't help. I'm not going to resort to full format because it isn't that much of a problem for me. Thanks.

Guess I should have mentioned, I never had this problem even once the whole year I owned this tablet, until the upgrade to ICS. I do love ICS though. This might be fixed in the next mini update.

Have you tried unplugging your router for 30 seconds or so and then plugging back in? Also have you checked for a firmware update for your router?

frapshake

Apr 22, 2011
Have you tried unplugging your router for 30 seconds or so and then plugging back in? Also have you checked for a firmware update for your router?

Yes, I did do that the first time I realized my wifi signal was lost after I woke my tablet up after the upgrade to ICS, and it did reconnect, but it didn't solve the problem the next time I put the tablet to sleep. I found out all I had to do to get the signal back was hit my wifi toggle widget and I was connected again in a couple seconds until I put the tablet in sleep mode again, so it wasn't a big problem...BUT...I really think I found the answer to the problem this morning. I changed the wifi channel in the router. I had it on channel 1 and I changed it to channel 2 and I ran a test three times by sleeping the tablet for 30 minutes each time and every time I woke it up, I had a signal, so maybe this problem is gone for good. Thanks for all your suggestions.

J515OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2011
Yes, changing the channels, I should have mentioned that one as I have also read that can be an issue when a channel is too crowded. Good thinking. Hopefully it works.

frapshake

Apr 22, 2011
Yes, changing the channels, I should have mentioned that one as I have also read that can be an issue when a channel is too crowded. Good thinking. Hopefully it works.

I don't know why I didn't think to try that sooner. Yes, hopefully I won't have an issue with it anymore. Maybe this will help someone else who has the problem and searches for an answer. Forums are good that way. :)

slpipkin

Jan 12, 2012
Internet VERY slow to non-existent now. Apps that use internet for updates keep popping up an error that they have stopped. It will not even open the Google home page and will not load new mail at all. Internet was very fast and snappy prior to the ICS update. Am I the only one that has this problem? I thought I would see some outrage when I opened the forum just now.

I got it working. Cleared cache, history, and reset to default.

I am having the same issues as you have explained like internet slow and pages don't come into focus as they use to Wifi signal not as strong ect...not sure what to do?? Not impressed at all with ICS has been nothing but problems here on my end ......

diiorio

Dec 21, 2011
Another Kudo. Thank god the GPS locks fast now. The first lock attempt took a little time, now anyime I turn it on it locks within seconds. Was horrible with HC 3.2.1

sopranosv

Nov 22, 2010
Well...as simple as it may sound, what I´m liking a lot is that now when playing music and locking the screen, there is the option to control your music from the locked screen...