[PRJ] apps2sd discussion

pvella

Dec 20, 2010
Did you chmod 755 the files? Ownership should not matter. 755 says all users can execute.

Sent from my S7

t.c

Feb 2, 2011
Did the chmod 755 ls-l gives them rwxr_xr_x, used the text editor with root explorer to write the scripts so should be OK from format perspective.
I think that either a permission issue or init-sd is not being called by install-recovery?
I didn't put the LOGs in the script so maybe that the next way to trace the fault?
Thanks

pvella

Dec 20, 2010
I think it might be the files. They do not run if they have CR in them.

Sent from my S7

t.c

Feb 2, 2011
The problem wasn't the file, more to do with my lack of scripting, the first line of the script started with # which I took as a comment.
The second line "sleep 10" was truncated onto the first line(still assumed commented out).
Once this was corrected all seems OK with the mounting.
Thanks

pvella

Dec 20, 2010
Congrats. I am currently testing the link2sd mod, in combination with the cache mod. When you get it working can you let us know which parts you have working and what you think?

t.c

Feb 2, 2011
I must of missed the thread to the link2SD, I'll have a look. With the app2sd I have noticed that the wireless has become a little unstable. It requres constant(every 30- 45mins or after it goes to sleep) manual log in's. Is this a known issue or is it something to do with only using a class4 SD card?
I would have thought that the system files associated with the wireless would remain unchanged?

Once I have tested the SD apps function I'll move onto the others that you have implemented(need to get an understanding of the scripts).

Cheers

pvella

Dec 20, 2010
There should be no effect on wireless. Mine disconnects sometimes when it goes into sleep mode. could be a bug.

Sent from my S7

buzzman

Dec 8, 2010
@shanks sv-a little while ago(2 weeks) you tried to point me in the right direction for adb to work- something about not in my path....had an inkling.:confused: That was it.

Well I got tired of being ignorant. Thanks to the Android Developers Blog I downloaded new programs- skd kit and eclipse and java. So I took the first step and now know what a "path" is, was able to enter it correctly into the dos command box, it worked. I got device not found...??? Duh...My hs7 was not connected. Connected and got it going- got the su and #....Hooray for me... Now this may not sound like a biggie to you techies, but this is HUGE for me. The rationale behind what you do is important to learn so you understand what's going on... I never had the opportunity to learn this computer stuff. So I'm starting now!!! I'm tired of feeling stupid!!! I even got the path loaded into the permanent path line so I can just type adb shell and that works too!

There might be hope for me yet Ivy! And to Kev- your suggestion of using easeus partition helped me alter my hard drive today. Cause of what I learned working with that program I was able to expand my c drive. I had no more room. Couldn't even defrag. I had started this hard drive about 2 years ago with a c and d partition. D was suppose to be for movies. But I don't put too many on, so Easeus partition helped me steal 100 GB from D drive. Saved me from getting a new hard drive or cleaning out c drive( I did delete all my downloads from the past 2 years so I could defrag c drive).

This all started because I now have so many programs I want to put on the hs7 I will be attempting apps2sd one more time. So before I start again I'm open to any and all suggestions from all you bystanders..I can now cut and paste using adb.

One question. Is it better to practice on what I have set up now? Or do I back up both sd cards and reflash to a clean rom (I am using the unsigned C60b011 version),reformat internal sd card and start from scratch? My first instinct is to go with what I have first and if it gets screwed up again I will have to reflash anyway.

If you recommend to start from scratch, what's the best working rom to date in anyones opinion? Open to any and all suggestions!!

pvella

Dec 20, 2010
Congrats buzzman. Happy to help you anyway I can. I think the new Singapore ROM is probably the best place to start with. Then you should look at the apps2sd process, or maybe even go down the track of link2sd. I am finding the link2sd a lot more stable, but it will not move all your apps to sdcard, it will only move most of them. I personally also like the /cache mod, but this one is a little tricky. It moves the /data/dalvik-cache to the /cache mount point. Have fun with it. Worst case, you can always reflash another ROM and try again.

MrMaxxa

Feb 6, 2011
Hello!
I am a 13 year old Android fan from Germany. I have now bought the Huawei S7 and am very happy with it. Now I would like to activate app2sd, but I do not understand a lot of posts because my English is not so good. Could someone please explain again what exactly do I do?
Many thanks for the help
MrMaxxa

translate with google :D

t.c

Feb 2, 2011
I've had a quick look at Link2SD and I understand the virtues of not being tied to a particular SD for the important apps.

For this reason is there a method of backing up the ext2 partion of the SD card( my VM Fedora on Win7 doesn't allow the mounting of SD/USB drives or maybe I have to use wine to load the win7 config package?)?

Is there a reason that ext2 is used rather than ext3 or ext4? I read(don't know how reliably) that both the later have better performance.

You probably gathered that a little knowledge is a dangerous thing, but could you partition the SD into several partitions for different activities cache, apps etc or does the S7 only allow for the 179:1 & 179:2?

And to date I read nothing that dictates the size of the ext2 partition. I understand that the mounting to win machines requires the FAT partition and that most of the media centric applications would require this but say on a 16 or 32GB SD could you have a 8GB ext partition? Would it cause stability/reliability issues?

pvella

Dec 20, 2010
You have to use ext2, because ext3 and ext4 are not compiled into the S7 Kernel. The size of the partition for ext2 should be at least 500M. Problems have been reported at about 2G, so don't make it that big. There is nothing to stop you making many partitions, except that it might lead to more stability problems, also there is really no good reason to make other partitions other than replacements for the ones in /data. I found that linux is best for mounting the ext2 partitiona and making a backup. Otherwise, use Titanium Backup to backup your apps, or another program I have used is Android Mate.

buzzman

Dec 8, 2010
pvella- thanks for your input! I'll re look at the link to sd and maybe try out your latest singapore rom too. I don't need all the apps moved- just need more room for more apps. So that might be the best thing right now. I have all the steps printed out for the apps2sd and have been reading over them.(thanks to Kevmueller and you pvella). I'll think I'll even double check how far I got with the first attempt. I'll print out link2sd and see where i'll go from here. :)

pvella

Dec 20, 2010
Can you please explain what process you are following and the step you are doing, with exact error message. Will try to help.

Sent from my S7